Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62

Thread: Observations About Real America - 2

  1. #1

    Default Observations About Real America - 2

    This past weekend I visited Real America again. Though not exactly Real America, actually it was quite the opposite. But more real than the regular day to day.

    I spent the weekend in Los Angeles and noticed a few things I'd like to share.

    + LA really is the modern American city- Much of it was built-up in the mid 20th century, so it reflects our modern car culture and our free-wheeling sense of economy and space.

    I was impressed as how much stuff and space there was. I can understand why there is a significant creative element there. Housing is cheap, governance is stretched thin and the weather is always perfect. It's like clay for people to mold themselves around.

    + Style- It's not too easy for guys to dress nicely there and be outside. Either you dress nicely under the assumption you will be in air conditioning all day, or you dress with the assumption you'll be in the sun for a while. But the back-and-forth can make it hard to plan outfits. Or maybe I'm just not use to it yet.

    + Vagine- Was told by two sources that all the women in their 20s and early 30s shave themselves completely down there. This appears to be true based on a sample size of one. But they were shocked that women in NY don't go totally bald.

    + Car cleaning- I couldn't help but notice a lot of clean cars. There were plenty of filthy cars, but there seemed to be little middle ground between cars that clearly get regular washing and cars that haven't been washed since Clinton was in office.

    + The limits of car culture are very evident- Weekend traffic jams, total gridlock and the inability to travel more than five miles without massive car congestion. It's clear the infrastructure to move people around is continually at capacity. The place is ripe for a real, robust rail and bus network. But it's probably too late for that given the whole state and city being bankrupt. Plus the general inertia once a place is established.

    + Good food- Like many coastal places, there is easy access to quality ingredients. Had some really nice meals. I would assume it's cheaper to start a restaurant in LA than NY, and yet LA doesn't have as vaunted of a restaurant scene in the popular imagination. Curious.

    Parts of this post were made whilst breaking Rule 12.

  2. #2
    I'm also shocked NY women don't shave.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  3. #3
    LA men are lucky, if this sample size of 1 actually meant anything
    my experiences in florida, its a complete toss up.


    you also don't need business attire or even business casual to have style

  4. #4
    Dress nicely? You need to get out in the real world more often.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

  5. #5
    By nicely I mean interestingly. As a guy in NY, I can go out for a day in a variety of outfits depending on season, weather, etc.

    In LA it's the same weather all the fracking time, and it usually trends towards too hot to wear long pants and long sleeves during the day unless you spend a chunk of that day in air conditioning. Which relegates dudes to short sleeves. Or just sweating a lot.

  6. #6
    You mean the weather in LA doesn't allow you to show off your wardrobe without working up a sweat.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

  7. #7

  8. #8
    I've learned new things about today's young people. Men call their drawers underpants and wear multiple outfits. West coast women shave their genitals (I hear men do, too) but East coast women don't. Is that related to Hollywood and the porn industry, or just beaches and bikinis?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I've learned new things about today's young people. Men call their drawers underpants
    What should we be calling them? Drawers are pull-out storage spaces in cabinets and dressers.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  10. #10
    Call them whatever you like. My kids used to insist boys call it underwear, girls call it underpants. At the time I think they wore Underoos, so.... But that's all covered in the underpants thread.

    Now, about the shaved genitals.....is it true west coast men commonly shave their genitals?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Now, about the shaved genitals.....is it true west coast men commonly shave their genitals?
    Dread obviously hooked up with a "special" girl because it's not that common even for women here.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

  12. #12
    Maybe it's an age group quirk, or something about being single?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Now, about the shaved genitals.....is it true west coast men commonly shave their genitals?
    It's called manscaping.
    Your search had no results.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    It's called manscaping.
    I thought that meant waxing the male uni-brow.

  15. #15
    I'm hard pressed to think of a place less real than Los Angeles.

    By the by, LA is enormous beyond belief. You're going to have to be a bit more specific about where you were

    I'm always amused by the New Yorkers who first arrive. I'm thinking that you're the first to ever say that housing is cheap or that governance is "stretched thin". Which LA are you visiting, Bizarro-World LA?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I thought that meant waxing the male uni-brow.
    That's de-uglifying. Someone I know (though, I wish I didn't know him), found it prudent to tell me that he nicked himself with a razor and ended up with an infection requiring antibiotic treatment while manscaping. This person is very strange.
    Your search had no results.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    + LA really is the modern American city- Much of it was built-up in the mid 20th century, so it reflects our modern car culture and our free-wheeling sense of economy and space.

    I was impressed as how much stuff and space there was. I can understand why there is a significant creative element there. Housing is cheap, governance is stretched thin and the weather is always perfect. It's like clay for people to mold themselves around.
    Spoiler:
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  18. #18
    I forgot the point about all the medical pot! Well, I saw that in SF too. It's just an interesting approach to things, Godspeed to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by gentry View Post
    I'm hard pressed to think of a place less real than Los Angeles.

    By the by, LA is enormous beyond belief. You're going to have to be a bit more specific about where you were

    I'm always amused by the New Yorkers who first arrive. I'm thinking that you're the first to ever say that housing is cheap or that governance is "stretched thin". Which LA are you visiting, Bizarro-World LA?
    I should hedge and say the availability of cheap housing in non-terrible neighborhoods seemed to be a lot more abundant than New Yorkistan. I went to Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Los Feliz, West Hollywood and of course LACMA. Was only there for about 48 hours, but will probably be going back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Spoiler:
    Nice. I'm always amazed at the comics you are able to find...

    Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Dread obviously hooked up with a "special" girl because it's not that common even for women here.
    She seemed to say it was, or at least all her friends were uniformly shaved. I found it weird too, maybe it is an age thing.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    She seemed to say it was, or at least all her friends were uniformly shaved. I found it weird too, maybe it is an age thing.
    I think it's weird that you people think it is that uncommon.

    Maybe you just don't spend much time around people who actually like sex or something.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  20. #20
    I think it may be a regional and age thing. Most girls I've been with trim, but most don't consistently go completely bald.

  21. #21
    you're doing that overgeneralizing thing again
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    She seemed to say it was, or at least all her friends were uniformly shaved. I found it weird too, maybe it is an age thing.
    You find it strange that women with similiar outlooks towards certain parts of enjoying life, friends close enough to share such details, all act the same?

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    This past weekend I visited Real America again. Though not exactly Real America, actually it was quite the opposite. But more real than the regular day to day.

    I spent the weekend in Los Angeles and noticed a few things I'd like to share.

    + LA really is the modern American city- Much of it was built-up in the mid 20th century, so it reflects our modern car culture and our free-wheeling sense of economy and space.
    You're forgetting Vegas.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  23. #23
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,435
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I'm also shocked NY women don't shave.
    Nothing wrong with a little bit left down there.

    That said, almost all girls shave here, too, AFAIK. Thought it would be t he same pretty much all over the USA
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  24. #24
    Fucking porn and TV and idiocy, people have hair down there for a reason, what the hell is up with this place where being completely shaved is actually the norm among many women? Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the esthetic reasons, but wtf
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    + LA really is the modern American city- Much of it was built-up in the mid 20th century, so it reflects our modern car culture and our free-wheeling sense of economy and space.
    The archtype of excess and waste. Historians, anthropologists and archeologists will study it and philosophers ponder it for millenia.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Fucking porn and TV and idiocy, people have hair down there for a reason, what the hell is up with this place where being completely shaved is actually the norm among many women? Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the esthetic reasons, but wtf
    I like neatly trimmed hair. No jungles, no deserts, but a nice moderate trim.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  26. #26
    I'm not fond of jungles either, I'm no Tim after all.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  27. #27
    I'm not a fan of swallowing pubes; closely trimmed is the least anyone can do for their sex partner's benefit.

    Unless you're with someone like Tim with a weird fetish.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  28. #28
    lol, if LA is real America I must really live in the sticks......

    Also, I think a little bit of hair on guys is nice; you still want to look like you are older than 12

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Fucking porn and TV and idiocy, people have hair down there for a reason, what the hell is up with this place where being completely shaved is actually the norm among many women? Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the esthetic reasons, but wtf
    Do they keep this up their entire lives? It's been a while since I've bathed 60 yr old women, but the thought of older women with bald vulva is just.....

  30. #30
    Well it's too early to tell, it hasn't been going on for that long.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •