Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: How have I lived without a rice-cooker? How have YOU? :o

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default How have I lived without a rice-cooker? How have YOU? :o

    I love cooking and baking, I love tech, I love tricks, I love playing with my food, I love to make my life easy... how have I managed to live without buying a rice-cooker??!

    This is going on the list of this semester's projects: rice-cookering my life.

    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008...to_use_it.html

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/di...rice.html?_r=3

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/di...tml?ref=dining
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  2. #2
    Pshaw, didn't click on your links. It's not like it's DIFFICULT to make good sticky rice in a pot on the stove, any more than good tea can't be brewed without a fricking machine. But if you love kitchen gadgets then.....have fun....buying into American consumerism.


  3. #3
    But you can set the timer on a rice cooker to begin at a specific time if you are going to be gone all day.

    Make use of that and your slow cooker and you can walk in the door and have dinner on the table in about 5 minutes.

    Minxy is a good boy.

    (and the chicken biriyani recipe sounds tasty, I'll try it)
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  4. #4
    Oh, there's such a hurry to make rice in 5 minutes, I didn't realize. Crock pots and slow cookers for meats, now that's a different thing.

    Anyway, yeah, I can live without a rice cooker. Since that was the question.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Oh, there's such a hurry to make rice in 5 minutes, I didn't realize. Crock pots and slow cookers for meats, now that's a different thing.

    Anyway, yeah, I can live without a rice cooker. Since that was the question.
    As opposed to coming home after a long day's work/play/running errands and then spending time starting dinner from scratch?

    I'm sorry, but when I am gone most of the day I love coming in the door and smelling my dinner waiting for me - and rice is often a good accompaniment for things cooked in a crock pot. Knowing that all I have to do is toss a salad or maybe steam some broccoli is marvelous. By the time the kids have washed their hands and faces and set the table it's all ready to serve.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Pshaw, didn't click on your links. It's not like it's DIFFICULT to make good sticky rice in a pot on the stove, any more than good tea can't be brewed without a fricking machine. But if you love kitchen gadgets then.....have fun....buying into American consumerism.

    As I saw in another article, "A billion Chinese people can't be wrong." Ie. Chinese people in China love rice-cookers too, and from what I've heard Japanese people are not very different. Moreover, it seems you can cook very very many different things in a rice-cooker--not just rice--very easily and with a minimum of mess. I've been looking into these things, because I would never buy such a large one-trick pony for my kitchen.

    What is UP with this annoying tendency to just dismiss things out of hand without giving them a single thought or looking into them? admit it, you just like to judge people
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  7. #7
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    As I saw in another article, "A billion Chinese people can't be wrong."
    Yeah, I still have the T-shirt: "Welcome to Finland! A billion mosquitoes can't be wrong!"
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  8. #8
    I like to nudge people.

    Maybe you eat rice daily, in huge amounts, or need to keep it moist for a long time. I don't. But I AM a lazy cook and love kitchen gadgets, so I do understand.

    Just yankin' yer chain to see how passionate you wanna get about....a rice cooker....before you cry a fly's in your soup.


  9. #9
    Pff the hell you were, your motives are transparent to me just because it's called a rice-cooker doesn't mean that rice is all it does. I don't eat rice very often, tbh, because I don't have a rice-cooker.

    Eating is wonderful, cooking is fun and deeply satisfying, but cooking rice is not. It's a chore there is no need to waste valuable living-time and energy on making rice the hard way if there is an easy way

    I love the concept of the slow cooker, and I've been reading a lot about fun things to do with them... but I have nfi where I can get one in Sweden *grumbles*
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I love the concept of the slow cooker, and I've been reading a lot about fun things to do with them... but I have nfi where I can get one in Sweden *grumbles*
    Hmm. I'd send you one, because they are that awesome - but it's really not a great idea to leave a plug adapter unsupervised while you are gone all day.

    I've experienced them blowing fuses and other fun things (like small fires) before.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  11. #11
    Cooking rice is a "chore"?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Hmm. I'd send you one, because they are that awesome - but it's really not a great idea to leave a plug adapter unsupervised while you are gone all day.

    I've experienced them blowing fuses and other fun things (like small fires) before.
    Yeah I'd only use it on the weekends, you know, long lazy days at home with my freckled one

    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Cooking rice is a "chore"?
    Well duh, it's hardly exciting compared to most other alternative ways to occupy my time and energy, it is a boring and disagreeable task (the cooking and the cleanup). With the rice-cooker, the rice becomes my Starbucks slave--not the other way around!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  13. #13
    Minx, once you've cooked a three course meal on a hot plate (or popcorn-popper-turned-hot-plate), nothing about modern cooking is really a "chore".

    Part of the cook's challenge is making everything come out right and done at the same time. Chopping, boiling, sauteeing, steaming, stirring. Might as well get some frozen bags and a microwave (which I admit to doing ) but don't call it cooking.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Minx, once you've cooked a three course meal on a hot plate (or popcorn-popper-turned-hot-plate), nothing about modern cooking is really a "chore".
    This is basically like saying "once you've done something in a REALLY unnecessarily difficult way ANY way that is less difficult is okay"

    Why on earth should we take the WORST as our measuring stick??? It should be the BEST--how close is this way to the best possible way?? Not how far away is this way from the worst possible way??!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This is basically like saying "once you've done something in a REALLY unnecessarily difficult way ANY way that is less difficult is okay"

    Why on earth should we take the WORST as our measuring stick??? It should be the BEST--how close is this way to the best possible way?? Not how far away is this way from the worst possible way??!
    Oh come now, just admit you don't wanna watch the rice with the freckled one around, since rice is easy to cook AND easy to burn. Those long, lazy weekends where you'd rather watch her *eyes* than the stove can definitely make a rice cooker valuable.

  16. #16
    Dude, I don't ever want to watch rice cook, with or without freckled company it's the least exciting thing on this planet.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  17. #17
    Nah, that would be watching paint dry.

    Anyway, what's next in the cornucopia of consumer carbohydrate crutches? Potato cookers? Pasta cookers?

    I shouldn't laugh, there's probably a market for those....

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Nah, that would be watching paint dry.

    Anyway, what's next in the cornucopia of consumer carbohydrate crutches? Potato cookers? Pasta cookers?

    I shouldn't laugh, there's probably a market for those....
    Why on earth are you talking about consumerism in a thread that's about using rice-cookers for fun and profit to cook everything? ps. they have been embraced with open arms in cultures that enslave women for the purpose of rice-making
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Why on earth are you talking about consumerism in a thread that's about using rice-cookers for fun and profit to cook everything? ps. they have been embraced with open arms in cultures that enslave women for the purpose of rice-making
    Tuesdays are pantry days here. When I see people looking for convenience that seems to ignore the underlying concept of food access, especially for a staple like rice, I tend to go overboard yankin' chains and sounding like a jerk.

    Don't mind me, I've got so many kitchen gadgets and appliances they have their own closet. One Christmas I received a Belgian waffle maker, because the regular waffle iron wasn't "special" enough. I've got a drip coffee maker AND a percolator. I've even got a fricking melon-baller, citrus zester, and herb knife.

    Sorry, I'll get off my culinary soap-box now. It's just my conscience puking.

  20. #20
    I've got a double decker pot that I use to cook rice, comes out nice and tasty.
    I hate single purpose kitchen crap.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    6,435
    Rice cookers (if used for just cooking rice) aren't that much better than just doing it on the stove (hardly a chore, just add rice, water, light a fire instead of flicking a switch ), but you don't have to watch the time so that's easy. And the warm-keeping function is really easy. Lots of restaurants use it too. Don't really need one myself, I never cook the rest of my meal in less than 10 minutes so it's no effort to cook some rice on the side at the same time.

    Not sure why GGT doesn't think it's cooking if you use a machine

    The finger-digit of water above the rice also works in a pan on the stove, by the way.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  22. #22
    Watching paint dry is exciting, though. You get to see how fantastic it turned out.

    And the paranoid bit while it is streaky in the middle of drying (actually, his room has some that could have come out better, because I didn't want to go and buy another gallon of paint, but nothing the paintings he already has won't cover).
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  23. #23
    Just Floatin... termite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Land of Milk & Honey
    Posts
    1,213
    I have a rice cooker, her name is Phan and she lives across the street - she also does Thai curry to go with the rice.

    Such is Life...

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I love cooking and baking, I love tech, I love tricks, I love playing with my food, I love to make my life easy... how have I managed to live without buying a rice-cooker??!

    This is going on the list of this semester's projects: rice-cookering my life.

    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008...to_use_it.html

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/di...rice.html?_r=3

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/di...tml?ref=dining
    Have you also struggled through your thus far short life without a toaster and waffle iron?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  25. #25
    They do have "rice cookers" that will steam veggies and even cook chicken. I bought one for my brother when he moved out on his own, and he was using it a couple times a week when he was on his healthy meal kick. I almost got one myself, but I am super lazy and buy "instant" rice anyway. Though now that I am home, I probably could start making rice the right way.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    They do have "rice cookers" that will steam veggies and even cook chicken. I bought one for my brother when he moved out on his own, and he was using it a couple times a week when he was on his healthy meal kick. I almost got one myself, but I am super lazy and buy "instant" rice anyway. Though now that I am home, I probably could start making rice the right way.
    Note, my electric rice cooker at home is at least as easy to use as boiling some Minute Rice. Takes slightly longer, of course, but not as much as you might think. And it tastes a lot better.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  27. #27
    I've lived my entire life with a rice cooker. I eat almost every meal with rice, whether it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They are great because they are relatively inexpensive, they make large quantities of rice without much involvement on your part, and they will keep the rice warm for days if you desire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •