Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Another dumb Munchkin question!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Another dumb Munchkin question!

    Ok, so I have the new computer and am almost used to it but I still have a problem! Same problem, different day! Windows 7 does NOT have a high enough resolution for my monitor! Is there any way to "force" a higher resolution? Highest I can get (so far) is 1680 x 1050, and it needs to be 1600 x 1200 at minimum! HELP!!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

  2. #2
    1600x1200 can be listed as a lower resolution than 1680x1050. Check the resolution settings and try moving the slider down one spot.

    Also, if Windows gave you 1680x1050, that's probably the optimal resolution for your monitor. If 1600x1200 isn't listed at all, there's a good chance your monitor doesn't support it. You can try updating your video card drivers if you're sure it does and it isn't listed.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    1600x1200 can be listed as a lower resolution than 1680x1050. Check the resolution settings and try moving the slider down one spot.

    Also, if Windows gave you 1680x1050, that's probably the optimal resolution for your monitor. If 1600x1200 isn't listed at all, there's a good chance your monitor doesn't support it. You can try updating your video card drivers if you're sure it does and it isn't listed.
    This is the same monitor I have had for about 3 years! It is a 20.5 inch LCD widescreen. For some reason, Windows 7 does NOT fit the screen! XP does, Vista does, W7 doesn't! I have to manually enlarge text on every page, every time I come online. That is a big part of why I haven't been here much. Actually, I shouldn't bitch...hella nice computer! It has 4 GIGS of internal memory, supports my phone, and came with a hellalotta extras! (Yes, one of those extras is The Friend!)

    EDIT: Yes, I have tried lowering the resolution meter thingy, but that did not help!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    This is the same monitor I have had for about 3 years! It is a 20.5 inch LCD widescreen. For some reason, Windows 7 does NOT fit the screen! XP does, Vista does, W7 doesn't! I have to manually enlarge text on every page, every time I come online. That is a big part of why I haven't been here much. Actually, I shouldn't bitch...hella nice computer! It has 4 GIGS of internal memory, supports my phone, and came with a hellalotta extras! (Yes, one of those extras is The Friend!)

    EDIT: Yes, I have tried lowering the resolution meter thingy, but that did not help!
    It sounds like what you actually want is a lower resolution. Or higher DPI. For DPI, go to the start menu and type "make text bigger" or "dpi", then hit enter. Select a higher setting.

    edit: 1680x1050 is usually the proper resoultion for a 20.5" widescreen. Where it's not, the proper resolution is almost always lower, not higher.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    Windows 7 does NOT fit the screen!
    If the resolution doesn't fill your screen from edge to edge, you may need newer video drivers. I know you said this was a new machine, but is it store bought, or 2nd hand?

    I know when I first installed Windows 7 on my machine my 23" LCD shows a thick black bar around my screen at 1920x1080 until I update my video drivers.
    1680x1050 is a widescreen resolution for a widescreen monitor. 1600x1200 is a 4:3 resolution for the more squarish monitors.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    If the resolution doesn't fill your screen from edge to edge, you may need newer video drivers. I know you said this was a new machine, but is it store bought, or 2nd hand?

    I know when I first installed Windows 7 on my machine my 23" LCD shows a thick black bar around my screen at 1920x1080 until I update my video drivers.
    1680x1050 is a widescreen resolution for a widescreen monitor. 1600x1200 is a 4:3 resolution for the more squarish monitors.
    It's a brand new machine, store bought! The monitor is the one I got about 3 years ago. It's a widescreen monitor. I really don't know what the deal is, but will try to get it figured out when I get home from Rally!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

  7. #7
    Thanks darlin'! Just got the call...heading out in less than an hour, so will fuck with this when I get back!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

  8. #8
    Ok...who the hell hacked into my computer? I changed absolutely NO settings but all of a sudden my monitor is at optimum levels and I can see the text! You don't need to reply, buyt thank you very much!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •