Page 18 of 206 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Begins

Ask someone who supports that moronic policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Ask someone who supports that moronic policy.
    Obviously the government you voted into power. The one with an obsession with immigration. The only thing you Brexiteers are caring about; and in case you're going to deny that now Randy; you fucking voted for that so you are responsible.
    Congratulations America

Yes I've voted for a party with that policy three times. That policy was party policy in 2010, 2015 and 2017. Opposed it every time.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Yes I've voted for a party with that policy three times. That policy was party policy in 2010, 2015 and 2017. Opposed it every time.
    And yet you voted for them. Can't have one without the other...
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

And has been said; you voted for them. In the knowledge what they would do with your vote; saying you don't agree with them doesn't absolve you from your responsibility. You support, with your vote, policies that are stupid and disrupting the lives of millions of people.
    Congratulations America

Que sera sera.

Que sera sera.
    I see you're already at the last stage of grief. Good for you.

Que sera sera.
    Is an appropriate philosophy for a turnip, not so much for a voter.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

West Wing put it well in this scene [on an unrelated topic] nearly 17 years ago now. I can agree with 95% of a parties platform and still oppose 5%.

West Wing put it well in this scene [on an unrelated topic] nearly 17 years ago now. I can agree with 95% of a parties platform and still oppose 5%.

Sure, but what you cannot do is place the blame solely on the bureaucracy, nor can you be complacent about it.

It doesn't absolve you if the 5% happens to be a policy so monumentally wrong that the fall out will harm millions of people over a period you have no way of overseeing.

Your vote brought it about, and there is no way you can wriggle yourself out of the fact that you never bothered to seriously think about what your vote would do.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yeah, well, one could also ignore it as just another example of his distorted notion of the superduper greatness of mummy Britain. But - troll coming up - given the utter spinelessness of his so-called pro-EU(ropean) compatriots, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Taking up the gauntlet as if anybody is actually interested in the comparison of military powers between the UK and the Russian Federation though, to me seems like a generous waste of energy. Not picking the battles worth fighting so to say.
    I kinda disagree. I come here to discuss and to learn new things, and, to a lesser extent, to persuade. I don't believe I'll change RB's mind about Brexit. His claims about the strengths of the UK vs. Russia, however, are good topics for discussion and can be analyzed somewhat quantitatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I kinda disagree. I come here to discuss and to learn new things, and, to a lesser extent, to persuade. I don't believe I'll change RB's mind about Brexit. His claims about the strengths of the UK vs. Russia, however, are good topics for discussion and can be analyzed somewhat quantitatively.
    Maybe I could agree with you if I hadn't the experience of about 20 years of Breximaniacs throwing everything and the kitchen sink around to show how the UK is really a piece of heaven if it weren't for the bloody Europeans/EU. The article he posted recently was just another piece of claptrap by yet another Breximaniac not wanting to admit that Brexit is going to cost them dearly.
    Congratulations America

Perhaps. I'm not that old

I wonder what the chances still are of any deal at all. With the British government beholden to extremist Breximaniacs it seems impossible to strike a deal on anything.
    Congratulations America

Not seen anything yet to change opinion it will be a last minute deal struck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Sure, but what you cannot do is place the blame solely on the bureaucracy, nor can you be complacent about it.
    I don't blame it solely on the bureaucracy. I do blame it largely on it though. The problem with bureaucracy is that one idea goes out for either good or bad reasons then the logic falls away at the end and you end up with moronic cases like this where the original ambition or logic has entirely gone away to simply a box ticking exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    It doesn't absolve you if the 5% happens to be a policy so monumentally wrong that the fall out will harm millions of people over a period you have no way of overseeing.

Your vote brought it about, and there is no way you can wriggle yourself out of the fact that you never bothered to seriously think about what your vote would do.
    I did think about it seriously. I voted despite my strong reservations about that. I specifically mentioned my strong reservations so I fail to see how you can say I didn't think about it.

You voted for it, you own it.

The joys of the two party system.

"Just about every expert says this is a likely consequence of Brexit, but if I refuse to believe the experts when they disagree with me, it's not my fault when I vote for Brexit and those predictions end up coming true."
    Hope is the denial of reality

Brexit caused by low levels of education, study finds
    A slight increase in higher education could have kept Britain in the EU

but don't feel too bad, America has a bad case of the morons too.
    NRA calls academics ‘America’s greatest domestic threat’
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-08-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Interesting; according to the British government the EU is offering an end to freedom of movement specific to British subjects. Their rights to live and work in the EU would be limited to the country they are living in at the moment of Brexit. Outside of their country of settlement they would have no rights. A bit harsh that, and the British negotiator is saying that it's 'not enough'. Funny that, given that it's exactly what the Brits have offered themselves
    Congratulations America

Is it?

The British proposal is that an EU citizen living in eg Manchester would be eligible to travel all across the UK and would not be forbidden from moving to eg Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast. We're not proposing restricting freedom of movement within the UK for those already here.

As you may remember, those cities are in the same country. The EU is not a country, as you lot always like to remember us. If it's not free movement, national rules apply, and since you're so dead set on ending free movement you'll have to deal with 27 separate sets of residency rights. Taking back control and all that guv.

I also see the British press is still happy to write up nonsense about the EU. Stirring up outrage over the costs for travel of officials and no water for Brexit-negotiators. Except that a lot of travel is what you get if you have a confederation-type system with most of the powers decentralized and as if a lack of bottled water isn't easily remedied in a Brussels office building and could never be the result of a mistake.
    Congratulations America

I picked 4 different countries - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The UK is a union of four countries and anyone in one can migrate around all.

The rump EU will be a union of 27 countries and anyone with rights in one can normally migrate around all. So why should Brits be an exception to that?

I agree that those post-Brexit looking to apply for residency will need to meet whatever new rules would apply. But those who were there pre-Brexit should have their rights "grandfathered".

As for the British press: holding politicians and bureaucrats spending our tax money to account is precisely what they should be doing not nonsense. €27,000 euros is more than the median EU salary but if you think it is an appropriate amount for one man to spend on a two day trip then we should be free to debate that. If you think €500,000 in expenses for one man in a two month period is value for money, lets debate that. The British press has been holding our own politicians to account for their expenses for years and quite rightly too.

I picked 4 different countries - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The UK is a union of four countries and anyone in one can migrate around all.

The rump EU will be a union of 27 countries and anyone with rights in one can normally migrate around all. So why should Brits be an exception to that?

I agree that those post-Brexit looking to apply for residency will need to meet whatever new rules would apply. But those who were there pre-Brexit should have their rights "grandfathered".

As for the British press: holding politicians and bureaucrats spending our tax money to account is precisely what they should be doing not nonsense. €27,000 euros is more than the median EU salary but if you think it is an appropriate amount for one man to spend on a two day trip then we should be free to debate that. If you think €500,000 in expenses for one man in a two month period is value for money, lets debate that. The British press has been holding our own politicians to account for their expenses for years and quite rightly too.
    The notion that any of those 'nations' are sovereign states is laughable.

As for the traveling costs; I don't only think that is appropriate, but necessary in a system of government where power is shared between 28 capitals and the administrative center. Your moaning about it is just another example of your dishonesty; typically you moan hardest about percieved shortcomings of the EU that are mostly of your own making. There is nothing particulary excessive about Juncker and 9 others flying to a conference in a private jet.
    Congratulations America

Scotland and England are different countries in the sense that Flanders and Wallonia are. Or Texas and New York.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Why are Juncker et al incapable of flying to a conference in a commercial jet? Why do they need a private jet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Scotland and England are different countries in the sense that Flanders and Wallonia are. Or Texas and New York.
    Does the ISO recognise Flanders and Wallonia, or Texas and New York as countries?

Does the ISO recognise Flanders and Wallonia, or Texas and New York as countries?
    Since when does ISO define what a country is?

Also, since when does e.g. Scotland have its own ISO 3166-1 code?

In 3166-2 only those appear. Wallonia, for example, is BE-WAL. Scotland is GB-SCT.

Why are Juncker et al incapable of flying to a conference in a commercial jet? Why do they need a private jet?

Which is why he also uses commercial flights.

The rest of the nonsense you post doesn't make Scotland, Wales or Northern-Ireland sovereign states. And anyway, why should we care, we're not dealing with any of them. We're dealing with the government of the United Kingdom. And we're not going to give that government real benefits in exchange for pretend benefits.
    Congratulations America

I called them a country, I did not call them a sovereign state. They are countries.

You're right you are dealing with the government of the United Kingdom, which is itself dealing with the European Union. Or are you saying we should be negotiating with France, Germany etc independently?