Thread: And Liberals Probably Want her to only be in prison for a few years

Default And Liberals Probably Want her to only be in prison for a few years

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/awfu...073120203.html

"Sarai Rodriguez-Miranda was angry. She was mad that her brother, his fiancee and their 11-week-old child were going to be staying longer than planned at the home she shared with her grandmother in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Unsatisfied with her home life, the 19-year-old devised a plot to get back at her family by killing the infant.

According to WANE.com, Rodriguez-Miranda's grandmother discovered text messages her granddaughter had sent her boyfriend in January 2017. She shares a cell phone with her grandmother and her grandmother monitors her usage.

The conversation included text messages about crushing up acetaminophen and sleeping pills and mixing it in a bottle of breast milk in a sick plot to murder her niece. "

What. The. Fuck.

""I put the stuff in a made bottle in the fridge,'' one of the text messages read according to the Daily Mail. "Yeah I thought it was funny that I don't have an ounce of guilt."

In one particularly incriminating and awful message, Rodriquez-Miranda describes mixing up the crushed pills and said: "I hope she dies.""

"Though her grandmother (or mother, we're not 100% sure) told Rodriguez-Mirando to come home to speak to police, she instead fled with her boyfriend to Michigan.

But not before texting him: "Why didn't that baby die dude thats dumb."

She's currently still at large, but she was charged this week with one felony count of attempted murder. The baby was taken to the hospital and determined to be healthy and not poisoned. "

A monster like that who would be willing to kill a family member's child ( or really any child) is capable of anything.

But of course I'm sure plenty of people on this board would be upset at a life sentence for this piece of shit. Likely she'll be out in less than five. Pathetic.

Or maybe she could be apprehended and given mental health treatment instead, opening the possibility she could become a productive citizen. The cost of trying that would be way less than imprisoning her for life, and the potential benefit very high -- long term tax-paying worker vs. long term tax-burning inmate. It would be the Christian thing to do, don't you agree?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Or maybe she could be apprehended and given mental health treatment instead, opening the possibility she could become a productive citizen. The cost of trying that would be way less than imprisoning her for life, and the potential benefit very high -- long term tax-paying worker vs. long term tax-burning inmate. It would be the Christian thing to do, don't you agree?
    This assumes the State is succesful in rehabilitation. If the State does not succeed (and in many cases how would you be able to tell?) there is no option to keep them in longer than their original sentence.

I'm not talking about laws, state or federal, or success/ failure rates of mental health treatment. Do you agree it would be better if this person became a contributing member of society instead of a long-term prison inmate? Do you agree giving her the chance is the Christian thing to do?

Can you say "if the mental health treatment has a reasonable chance of succeeding, it should be the first course of action instead of long term imprisonment?"

Furthermore, since the baby was never actually poisoned, is there a real crime here? Did they find a baby bottle filled with makeshift-poison-spiked milk? From what you posted, it isn't clear any action was taken beyond the sending of some crazy-ass texts. Have you considered that?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I'm not talking about laws, state or federal, or success/ failure rates of mental health treatment. Do you agree it would be better if this person became a contributing member of society instead of a long-term prison inmate? Do you agree giving her the chance is the Christian thing to do?

Can you say "if the mental health treatment has a reasonable chance of succeeding, it should be the first course of action instead of long term imprisonment?"

Furthermore, since the baby was never actually poisoned, is there a real crime here? Did they find a baby bottle filled with makeshift-poison-spiked milk? From what you posted, it isn't clear any action was taken beyond the sending of some crazy-ass texts. Have you considered that?
    Article is poorly worded but the grandmother found the tainted milk. Doesn't specifically say if the police tested it and it was the concoction but I think it is likely.

Also as I've mentioned before on the board - either you want a theocracy or you don't. I personally don't - so what judiciary and our laws do should be independent as to what the Christian thing to do is.

I also am annoyed that people always are quick to blame mental illness for evil. Some people are just selfish assholes. That isn't a mental disorder that is just them being evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I also am annoyed that people always are quick to blame mental illness for evil. Some people are just selfish assholes. That isn't a mental disorder that is just them being evil.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Its the only way he can rationalize his own behavior.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Article is poorly worded but the grandmother found the tainted milk. Doesn't specifically say if the police tested it and it was the concoction but I think it is likely.
    So, in other words, no, you don't have any proof at all a crime was actually committed.

EDIT: You're welcome.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indiana...lk-police-say/

Also as I've mentioned before on the board - either you want a theocracy or you don't. I personally don't - so what judiciary and our laws do should be independent as to what the Christian thing to do is.
    A theocracy would be unconstitutional. But behaving as a Christian is not. Letting the teachings of Jesus inform your personal positions on societal issues is not. You could actually do that, persuade and vote in keeping with your faith in Jesus, and be completely in line with the constitution, and without living in a theocracy.

I don't believe evil, as a force independent of cause and effect, actually exists. If this woman actually did what she is accused of, such an act is not just selfishness. I have known a lot of selfish people over the years, but nobody who would somehow think it in any way acceptable to poison a baby, for any reason. I can't imagine how someone with an intact sense of right and wrong could. And if you can't tell the difference between right and wrong, then you are mentally ill.
    The Rules

Evil is knowing something is wrong and doing it anyway. There is no doubt she knew her actions were wrong, when she texts 'I don't feel guilt' it implies that she understands she should feel guilt and therefore knows right and wrong.

As far as the basis of creating laws you should understand my views after seeing my posts. I believe in limited government in almost all things because freedom is important. The one place I do feel government should be strong in is securing the lives of its citizens from internal and external threat. 'Harsh' punishments do this in a couple of ways.

1. They create a deterrent effects that *prevents* crimes from happening in the first place.
    2. The person who is in prison cannot victimize more people while they are in prison.

In addition harsh punishments discourage vigilante justice because the people believe the state will produce adequate consequences for criminal behavior. Ultimately speaking if you had perfect knowledge and you knew locking up this woman for life would prevent the death of another child, would you do it? Would any Christian do it? I believe the answer is yes. The rub is we don't have perfect knowledge. And at that point it becomes a game of odds. What % chance of her attempting to poison another are you comfortable with? Again we don't know the odds but we can extrapolate based on recidivism rates for other offenses.

This assumes the State is succesful in rehabilitation. If the State does not succeed (and in many cases how would you be able to tell?) there is no option to keep them in longer than their original sentence.
    Over here a judge can give a shorter sentence combined with therapy. After the sentence part ends, every two years there's a release hearing, by a judge, and it can basically be extended indefinitely and turn into unofficial life sentence if they can't return to society.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Over here a judge can give a shorter sentence combined with therapy. After the sentence part ends, every two years there's a release hearing, by a judge, and it can basically be extended indefinitely and turn into unofficial life sentence if they can't return to society.
    This makes sense to me but I would want to know how often the judge gets it wrong.

This makes sense to me but I would want to know how often the judge gets it wrong.
    Don't have the numbers, but lower recidivism than in the USA where prison seems more aimed towards making people more criminal. Of course there's always some mistakes (like you say, unfortunately we don't have perfect knowledge) - and I expect you only care about mistakes erring to one side.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

or Lewk is a troll

As far as the basis of creating laws you should understand my views after seeing my posts.
    I know the views you've expressed, but I can't understand them. I can't understand how anyone can embrace the reprehensible like you do. I've concluded you're mostly trolling, and I can understand the fun some people get from that. Call me an optimist, not believing you're as bad a human being as you portray yourself to be.
    The Rules