Page 156 of 206 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

I'm not sure why you seem to be defending this. Why is it a good thing to have certain reporters, who may have different views to the government line, barred from government briefings?

I thought you were for the free press.

So, I'm going to assume that it's just some weird thing on my end, but all of those Twitter links you guys have been posting are going to a Twitter "this page does not exist" entry. I assume they are all working for you guys?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    I'm not sure why you seem to be defending this. Why is it a good thing to have certain reporters, who may have different views to the government line, barred from government briefings?

I thought you were for the free press.
    I am for a free press. I would go further I would like to see the American system of the lobby briefing being televised or streamed online.

This was not the lobby briefing it was an extra invite only briefing on top of the lobby briefing which all governments have done. Other journalists wanted to attend this extra briefing but weren't invited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I don't think the Guardian which was invited to the extra briefing and whose journalist has said this is not unusual were invited because they toe the line.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I am for a free press. I would go further I would like to see the American system of the lobby briefing being televised or streamed online.

This was not the lobby briefing it was an extra invite only briefing on top of the lobby briefing which all governments have done. Other journalists wanted to attend this extra briefing but weren't invited.
    There's one small problem with this narrative of yours: If they were not invited then why were they allowed into Downing Street at all?

I mean, your government stated that they "tried to barge in".

That usually gets you shot or at least arrested.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    So, I'm going to assume that it's just some weird thing on my end, but all of those Twitter links you guys have been posting are going to a Twitter "this page does not exist" entry. I assume they are all working for you guys?
    They do work for me.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The social media gods are probably trying to tell you something.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Stolen from Facebook
    Brexit Day +3

I'm sure you’ve all noticed the almighty apocalypse by now? The grounded planes, the chaos in the streets, the unpaid workers, the crippling strikes, the violence, a society in total collapse when stripped of wiser guidance, the faltering economy, the upper class buffoon in charge, the petrol bombs, the riot police, the snipers on rooftops, the tanks on the streets?

But enough about France.......

We're in what's called the "transition period". During this time there's effectively no change, other than us losing sovereignty and becoming a vassal state, as I believe our PM and leader of the house have remarked before.

I'm surprised this is news to you.

It was quite obviously I thought a joke but nevermind, I've been told time and again that there would be an immediate disaster forthcoming and it never comes. The goalposts keep moving. Now its until the end of transition. No doubt next year there'll be another reason its not come yet, even if we're on WTO terms and outgrowing Europe.

I strongly suspect that both this and next year the UK will outgrow the Eurozone.

People have exaggerated on both sides. Anyone looking at this objectively would observe that.

And I hope you're right.

I thought the new project was Project shift the blame. As started by the British government.
    Congratulations America

Congrats to the UK on declaring independence! May your distant bureaucracy be replaced by a heroic and more proximate bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Congrats to the UK on declaring independence! May your distant bureaucracy be replaced by a heroic and more proximate bureaucracy.
    You realize, of course, that the British bureaucracy has been there all along.

It was quite obviously I thought a joke but nevermind, I've been told time and again that there would be an immediate disaster forthcoming and it never comes. The goalposts keep moving. Now its until the end of transition. No doubt next year there'll be another reason its not come yet, even if we're on WTO terms and outgrowing Europe.

I strongly suspect that both this and next year the UK will outgrow the Eurozone.
    Well duh, that's often what happens after economic downturns.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Well duh, that's often what happens after economic downturns.
    In which case the Eurozone should be going great guns, its the one that has had an economic downturn. Or do you view Eurosclerosis as the normal you've gotten used to?

Over the course of the past decade, from 2010 to 2018 (no 2019 data yet) the UK GDP has in constant 2010 USD$ grown by 16.40% - in the same time the Eurozone has grown by 10.84%

Do you think there is something sick and endemic in the Euro that means it is performing so poorly, or do you think the UK while growing much faster than the Euroarea is currently the one in a downturn?

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...010&view=chart

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I see that Rand has still no answer why there were no arrests for "unwanted persons barging in".

And maybe you should just shut your trap until something has actually happened. You're still subject to our rules and as a result, nothing has really happened yet. I get that this is difficult for you to grasp considering that you're obviously someone who'd have cheered on Hitler.

Seriously, the way you're behaving is the way Hitler, Mussolini, Trump and all the other strongmen and dictators hold on to power: Their fawning idolators turn a blind eye to whatever their God is doing.

It's only afterwards that they try to wash their hands off it.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

In which case the Eurozone should be going great guns, its the one that has had an economic downturn. Or do you view Eurosclerosis as the normal you've gotten used to?

Over the course of the past decade, from 2010 to 2018 (no 2019 data yet) the UK GDP has in constant 2010 USD$ grown by 16.40% - in the same time the Eurozone has grown by 10.84%

Do you think there is something sick and endemic in the Euro that means it is performing so poorly, or do you think the UK while growing much faster than the Euroarea is currently the one in a downturn?

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...010&view=chart
    Just as economies tend to see periods of accelerated growth after downturns, smaller economies tend to see faster growth than larger ones. Worth noting, by the way, that the UK's growth during that period was as an EU member state, benefiting from trade and labor exchange with EU27 and the EU's trade partners.

Smaller economies see faster growth than larger ones? Explain that to Hazir please. So you're advocating for Brexit then?

Because per capita the UK is stronger than the Euroarea as well as growing faster than it. But I'm glad to hear you think our smaller economy can more nimbly outgrow your larger one despite yours being poorer per capita than ours. For once we're on the same page as we agree.

Smaller economies see faster growth than larger ones? Explain that to Hazir please. So you're advocating for Brexit then?

Because per capita the UK is stronger than the Euroarea as well as growing faster than it. But I'm glad to hear you think our smaller economy can more nimbly outgrow your larger one despite yours being poorer per capita than ours. For once we're on the same page as we agree.
    I really urge you to think about that derpy reasoning for a few more minutes.

The derpy reasoning was yours. You were the one throwing out those claims without thinking through what it meant.

The derpy reasoning was yours. You were the one throwing out those claims without thinking through what it meant.
    No you utter derphead. A corollary of the claim about the association between size and rate of growth is that, all else being equal, rate of growth tends to slow as an economy grows, just as it tends to slow as an economy matures. This would be true for any comparison between the UK and the Eurozone whether you're in or out. The UK's growth, notably, has been facilitated by its membership in the EU.
    Last edited by Aimless; 02-05-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    No you utter derphead. A corollary of the claim about the association between size and rate of growth is that, all else being equal, rate of growth tends to slow as an economy grows, just as it tends to slow as an economy matures. This would be true for any comparison between the UK and the Eurozone whether you're in or out.
    Indeed that would be the corollary if the facts were on your side but they're not. The UK's GDP per capita is more than the Eurozone's GDP per capita so therefore using your logic the UK should be growing slower than the Eurozone all else being other as our economy should be more mature and the Eurozone should be 'catching up' with the UK. The facts do not match that though, the UK has for the past two decades since the Euro was launched grown more than the Eurozone has consistently.

Why isn't the less mature Eurozone economy growing more?
    The UK's growth, notably, has been facilitated by its membership in the EU.
    [Citation Needed]

Indeed that would be the corollary if the facts were on your side but they're not. The UK's GDP per capita is more than the Eurozone's GDP per capita so therefore using your logic the UK should be growing slower than the Eurozone all else being other as our economy should be more mature and the Eurozone should be 'catching up' with the UK. The facts do not match that though, the UK has for the past two decades since the Euro was launched grown more than the Eurozone has consistently.
    What is the GDP of the Euro Area?

GDP or GDP per capita?

Euro Area:
    GDP $13.647 tn
    GDP per capita $39,927

UK
    GDP $2.855 tn
    GDP per capita $42,943

You're still obsessing, and your stoopid jokes aren't funny.

Guernsey is a great example of how things will go; two days of sovereignty was enough to make them realize that they actually need a market to sell their fish.
    Congratulations America

Anyway Randy. Get ready for no deal or something close to it; the Dutch Parliament is in no mood to ratify trade deals at all.
    Congratulations America

And once that happens and the UK continues to outperform expectations - what will be your justification of that then? You won't be able to say that Brexit hasn't happened yet etc

Since your outperformance is pretty much pie in the sky....

And you seem to be unable to understand that no deal is not business as usual. Falling back on WTO arrangements is code for: you will be treated as a country with which the EU has no other arrangement than the withdrawal agreement. Everything needs to be negotiated on the basis of nothing being in place. Even visa-free travel is not a given. Don’t take my word for it, read the draft for the mandate for Barnier. It’s project fear, but this time as the negotiation framework for the EU.
    Last edited by Hazir; 02-12-2020 at 10:08 PM.
    Congratulations America