Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
For all she knew he could've been trying to poison her dog, she would've been fully justified in shooting him if they'd been in some shithole southern state.
Today I saw this video on the NYT website and it was surprising how deeply ingrained racism is in the USA. Full disclosure, I have a cocker spaniel myself and I think that it's bad form to offer my dog treats and I think the dog in the video is getting a rough treatment. Though I think it's not very unlike the heavy duty control taking cockers sometimes need.

However, I was utterly shocked by the number of comments in the New York Times, that jumped passed the racism on show, to the risk the dog might have been under by being given a treat. Even the possibility of the dog potentially being allergic to treats was brought up. Also there were many many comments that entirely focused on the dog being 'strangled', again totally ignoring the man being threathened not just on the basis of his colour but with his colour. It was shocking to see the supposedly liberal readers of the NYT thought it was ok to focus on the animal over the man.