When the stars threw down their spears
And watered heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the lamb make thee?
Not entirely E3 related but I tried a 3DS on Saturday, my short verdict: yuk. I gave it 5 mins and my eyes couldn't take it.
Give a mouse a cookie....
Went away for the weekend very much impressed with how Dice showed off Battlefield 3. I'm willing to bet the internet is general was impressed. Come back today and discover that EA has once again took all that momentum and proceeded to shit all over it with some insane DLC plans. That is not how I would have pictured riding a positive E3 presentation.![]()
"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."
God damn it, EA. I'm actually usually a fan of DLC, but not the way EA does it. I'm happy to pay for extra content once I'm done with the shipped game when they're basically mini-expansion packs, but why are they chopping up the shipped game and selling off essential parts of it as DLC? Especially when it fucks with game balance in a multiplayer game!
They've tried to do this before (can't remember what the game was), but general consumer displeasure and decision not to preorder caused them to go back to normal.
So cancel your preorder, vote with your wallet.
Skyrim looked impressive..
They seem to be fixing all the things I disliked about Oblivion.
The character models actually look good, which is a first, and they seem to be trying to make the combat more fun, my biggest complaint about TES in general.
Yay for being able to play in 3rd person too!
Love how your skills increase by what you use now, too instead of locking you in.
I hope they remove the monster scaling too..didn't like that at all.
Oblivion was a gorgeous, rich, deep world filled with butt-ugly character models and boring combat..if Skyrim can fix that, I'll be in heaven
Arkham City and Tomb Raider looked great too..![]()
What was wrong with the combat in Oblivion?
They're all the same, you just hit the attack button until the combat ends. On every game. Ever.
We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.
Dragon Age is nothing like this, you actually have to think which skills/spells etc to use.
Dragon Age II was much less impressive though, "simplifying" the combat made it far too easy. Got so easy at one stage my mage was attacking just with the attack button and would only use spells for boss/major attacks![]()
That's just it though.
Games aren't simply hitting the attack button now, they've progressed beyond that.
I just can't enjoy the combat in Oblivion after playing games with fun, exciting combat like, for example, Demon's Souls, which had a fairly simple scheme, without getting too wild like God of War or something like that.
Oblivion combat is just too clunky and shallow compared to today's standard.
Mind you, I still enjoyed the game, I just hope they make the combat in Skyrim as fullfilling as all the other things the Elder Scroll series does so well.
The levelling-up system was a bit messed up as well. Creating an eg magical character whose key skills were the magical ones would make it harder to level-up your abilities than if you'd picked some useless skills to be part of your key skills.
There was some bit of weird skill juggling you had to do for the best level-ups, too. There were times when I played through it where I had to carefully prevent a skill from advancing, because my character would be better that way. I hope that goes away too.
I also missed how in Daggerfall (and Morrowind?) that how you move the mouse would deliver different attacks (thrusts, slashes). Oblivion, did not.
Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita
and that is why E3 made the horrible mistake of banning booth babes a few years back![]()
"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."