Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Actually no. Rosenstein doesn't get to decide what he gives to congress.
    Actually, yes he does. [i]Congress[i] has limits in what it can require him to hand over. If they want more, than they have to go to his boss (or, since his boss recused himself, his boss' boss). Of course, if POTUS starts forcing him to release materials in ways that compromise active investigations it could potentially open him up to obstruction of justice charges, which is why his advisors have managed to sit on him and convinced him to not stick his fingers in and start interfering.

Government bureaucrats don't get to trump elected officials.
    He's a hand of the Executive Branch. And the Executive Branch is co-equal with Congress.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Of course, if POTUS starts forcing him to release materials in ways that compromise active investigations it could potentially open him up to obstruction of justice charges
    Which makes the nomination of Kavanaugh for SCOTUS part of this weird new political world hard to maneuver.....

Actually, yes he does. [i]Congress[i] has limits in what it can require him to hand over. If they want more, than they have to go to his boss (or, since his boss recused himself, his boss' boss). Of course, if POTUS starts forcing him to release materials in ways that compromise active investigations it could potentially open him up to obstruction of justice charges, which is why his advisors have managed to sit on him and convinced him to not stick his fingers in and start interfering.

He's a hand of the Executive Branch. And the Executive Branch is co-equal with Congress.
    And it rests within the power of the Congress to impeach the Executive Branch and Executive Branch members.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    And it rests within the power of the Congress to impeach the Executive Branch and Executive Branch members.
    For High Crimes and Misdemeanors, yes. Not for refusing to comply with sub-legislative demands or declarations from Congress-critters. That falls under Contempt of Congress, but I don't think that amounts to much if levered against senior Executive officials. It's been done, most recently against Eric Holder in 2012, but it did precisely jack squat. Trump might always use it as an excuse to fire Rosenstein but he doesn't need an excuse in the first place and the factors keeping him from doing so already would still be there if Rosenstein was successfully held in contempt by Congress generally.

I think both Trump and the party in general in Congress is waiting to see how the mid-term elections play before they decide whether they can move against Rosenstein or the rest of the investigation. Any hint of a "Saturday Night Massacre" before the election could easily play into the Dems hands in the Congressional elections.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I think both Trump and the party in general in Congress is waiting to see how the mid-term elections play before they decide whether they can move against Rosenstein or the rest of the investigation. Any hint of a "Saturday Night Massacre" before the election could easily play into the Dems hands in the Congressional elections.
    Yeah I could see them waiting post election.