Page 85 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 4139

Thread: The pictures thread

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Copy probably painted by Leonardo da Vinci's pupils in the same era. Made me notice a lot of things I never did before about the original. That Mona Lisa is wearing a veil, and that she did have eye brows. I wonder what the value will be of the copy.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    As much as I loathe the fallacy of "country as a household",
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...8038612554.jpg

NOTE: This image is just for the LOLs, which is the intention of this thread
    As I've said numerous times before, the smug politicization that some posters bring to this thread is lame.

But I agree with Wraith that this one is particularly insane to the point of nonsense.

Picture:

Source: http://sterlingarcherdraperpryce.tumblr.com/

If you watch both Mad Men and Archer, that site is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    As I've said numerous times before, the smug politicization that some posters bring to this thread is lame.
    A habit beget by yourself, or at very least heavily encouraged? Speak not ill for that which justly hammers against what you perceive as right, speak against that which by your self-professed creed hampers the dialogue the community chooses.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

In my months of complaining about smug political pictures in this thread and my near-total absence of posting political pictures...when did I heavily encourage this?

As opposed to your months of absence? I see how it is. Forgive me my crime of speaking towards you, lest you have dire thoughts!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I don't remember the actual passage, but I think this misrepresents the teachings of Christ who, if I remember correctly, explicitly stated that we should do good deeds because it's the thing to do and not because of wanting to please God - i.e. if you're only acting good because you're expecting a reward (from God), you're out of luck.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

reddit stolen:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I don't remember the actual passage, but I think this misrepresents the teachings of Christ who, if I remember correctly, explicitly stated that we should do good deeds because it's the thing to do and not because of wanting to please God - i.e. if you're only acting good because you're expecting a reward (from God), you're out of luck.
    hey now, you've covered the disconnect between the bible and modern christians plenty of times
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-06-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Heh.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Err ... Britain needs it's own little spastic subsection in that, cos it uses bits of metric and bits of other systems.

Probably inspired by this.

(Looking at OG's Superbowl photo) Huh, I never even noticed the girl flipping off the camera. I must be very desensitized to such stuff. I did notice the screen glitch around that time, so maybe that was when NBC was scrambling to censor it. But I thought it was just the live feed freaking out at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Err ... Britain needs it's own little spastic subsection in that, cos it uses bits of metric and bits of other systems.
    Who? That tiny island? Of course, it will get a subsection right next to East Timor.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Who? That tiny island? Of course, it will get a subsection right next to East Timor.
    Well, considering that that tiny island actually defined the modern usage of the inches, feet, yards and miles which feature so prominently in the pic concerned, I felt it at least deserved an honourable mention.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-07-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    In my months of complaining about smug political pictures in this thread
    you still haven't figured out no one gives a rats arse about your complaints?

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 02-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

The US system is based on duodecimal mumbo jumbo. If you think about it it makes perfect sense as the measurements are usually easily divisible by 12 or by factors of 12 and are thus readily turned into--and manipulated as--fractions.

pictures of text are still pictures

besides, couldn't pass that one up after someone's comments above

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

T-Rex Flossing and Fluting! That's even better than needing an opposable thumb.

GOD I love those T-Rex drawings :') so [bitter]sweet

esp. snow-angel

snipers nest from the Superbowl

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

This season will be the last of Höüs

In other news,

Excellent
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I found another one
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars