Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
I want to be absolutely clear: I in no way condone the firing of McCabe (or anyone else) in a vindictive way that needlessly curtails their pensions. Furthermore, while I have not seen the substance of the investigation into McCabe's conduct and am not in a position to determine whether he had indeed engaged in problematic behavior, I am fairly certain that his firing was politically motivated and is all sorts of wrong. My only point was that people were specifically focusing on the pension question, when in reality McCabe's pension that had already vested was quite generous.

I'm upset about the behavior towards McCabe mostly because of the ramifications for ongoing presidential interference in the Justice Department and other elements of the civil service. The pettiness associated with his pension is, well, petty, but does not appear on the face of it to be a crushing blow to McCabe's financial security. (The ramifications for healthcare for him and his family are less clear to me and may indeed be huge problems.) Let's keep our eyes on the ball here, yes?
I don't see how the matter of it being a crushing blow or not is relevant in any way. As a part of the absolutely breathtaking behavior of the Trump administration it's not a lesser element; it is a violation of basic principles of government and rule of law on a par with the other elements of this unsavory affair.