Thread: Voter Photo ID -- Is It Really Terrible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    a lot of people have the day off (it's a national holiday),.
    define "a lot". I don't know of any major businesses that are closed, or even close early on voting day. I've never been given the day off, that I can remember, and I can't recall any of my friends being able to get it off either.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I would say that I think that every state should give certified copies of birth certificates for free, and make it as easy and painless as possible to get the photo ID required. Georgia offers a free voter ID card, but it does take a birth certificate.

It really ought to be possible to walk into your health department or county courthouse and request a certified copy of your birth certificate from any state, and if they can't computerize this safely then the local office should be able to make a phone call and have it sent, by priority mail (signature required) to the location of the requester's choice, free of charge.
    This is what I'm saying, I have no problem in trying to reduce fraud, but it needs to be done in a manner not to leave anyone behind.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    but I don't see why a small nominal charge (say $10 or $20 tops)
    and when you're requesting your birth certificate from out of state, how would one go about paying this fee when they don't have credit cards or a banking account?
    This is why I mentioned earlier about the states needing to do better about communicating this information between themselves. Florida has no office that helps the public interface with other state departments.

I'd even go as far as to say $20 could be a hardship, Brandy's share of cost for Medicaid is less than that.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-11-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    This is what I'm saying, I have no problem in trying to reduce fraud, but it needs to be done in a manner not to leave anyone behind.
    Well everyone can get a passport, so that's fine then
    and when you're requesting your birth certificate from out of state, how would one go about paying this fee when they don't have credit cards or a banking account?
    This is why I mentioned earlier about the states needing to do better about communicating this information between themselves. Florida has no office that helps the public interface with other state departments.

I'd even go to say $20 could be a hardship, Brandy's share of cost for Medicaid is less than that.
    A: Get a bank or credit card, ridiculous not to have one in the 21st century. If you don't, fine pay more to get a postal order sent or some other alternative.
    B: $20 may be awkward, but how often do you need to get a new birth certificate issued? Even if you did every year (which you don't) it'd be 5 cents a day.