Thread: That whole #metoo thing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Hazir is a pretty good example of why people who are sexually harassed don't always come forward. Nothing like having the courage to open up about a traumatic experience only to have some clueless fool come in and talk down to you about what you really experienced.
    Did you actually read the thread?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Did you actually read the thread?
    I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    One can put oneself in the position of a victim (thus actually empowering the culprit) or give that person a slap on the wrist (literal or verbal) and keep power in one's own hands. I think that any situation where the balance of power was similar does not merit the label 'sexual harassment'.

and this is fucked up
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

and this is fucked up
    I dunno, Hazir's not entirely wrong. Probably the most egregious example of sexual harassment I've experienced was from an troll I'd shot down in a bar earlier. When I left he followed me out, told me he was a cop and threatened to charge me with solicitation if I didn't agree to suck his dick. I laughed in the bastards face and told him to get lost, that no cop in this town spoke with that kind of broken English. It was definitely sexual harassment on its merits but while it pissed me off I never really regarded it as victimizing me. Maybe things would have been different if I'd thought he actually was a cop and the threat was real. Pretty sure the only real difference in my response would have been that I damn well would have gone down to the station to make a complaint and see what I could do to make the guy's life hell, though.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    It was definitely sexual harassment
    Full stop. Sexual harassment is sexual harassment regardless of how the receiving party responds verbally, physically, or mentally.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I did.

and this is fucked up
    No it is not. Sexual harassment is not just about sexually tinted behaviour. It is about abuse of (any type of) power in relation to another person using acts of a sexual nature.
    Congratulations America