Thread: What movie did you see today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Interstellar;too much tech babble and in the end disappointing. Some original footing of oral history reels concerning the dust bowl in the 30s.
    Congratulations America

Mocking Jay 1. Entertainment pur sang. Only problem I have with it is that it follows the books too slavishly and that means that it also copies every flaw of the original story. Otherwise it was worth going to bed a tad on the late side.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Interstellar;too much tech babble and in the end disappointing. Some original footing of oral history reels concerning the dust bowl in the 30s.
    I went to in expecting a pretty crappy film and was very pleasantly surprised. I liked it quite a bit and didn't think the techno-babble was too much at all. Check out this interview with the director and the physicist who was the science consultant for the film. Their intent on scientific accuracy is pretty admirable.

http://sciencefriday.com/segment/11/...erstellar.html
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Really? Nothing explains away the 23 year time shift between the surface of the planets and the orbiter. I'm pretty certain the difference would be measured in seconds at the distance between the planets and the orbiter, not years.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Really? Nothing explains away the 23 year time shift between the surface of the planets and the orbiter. I'm pretty certain the difference would be measured in seconds at the distance between the planets and the orbiter, not years.
    The way I understood it was because the planet was orbiting close to the black hole and the orbiter remained further out. If the orbiter was in fact orbiting the black hole in a parallel orbit to the planet, and not orbiting the planet itself, that would explain it. No?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    The way I understood it was because the planet was orbiting close to the black hole and the orbiter remained further out. If the orbiter was in fact orbiting the black hole in a parallel orbit to the planet, and not orbiting the planet itself, that would explain it. No?
    Hard to imagine where they'd get the energy to keep the orbiter in a parallel orbit. And it still doesn't explain the huge difference on such a short distance.

Trash today. A decent Brazilian movie with a bit of an agenda. I liked the natural performance of the leads.
    Congratulations America