Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US midterm elections coverage

Default US midterm elections coverage

Feel free to merge all my posts on this subject into this thread if I've spread myself out too much. Thought this might be a good place to collect articles on how the elections are going.

Starting with predictable and absurd news from Georgia:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...jinnomVB5Oq9M/
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Texas delivers some light fascist entertainment:

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/11...el-paso-texas/

Note that third-world "shitholes" are better at conducting elections than these stable geniuses:

East Coast - represent:

Last edited by Aimless; 11-06-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Voting isn't sufficiently rock 'n' roll for Detroit:

https://eu.freep.com/story/news/loca...ay/1901491002/

Everything is bigger in Texas, even the cock-ups:

This is a new twist on the age-old relationship between bad weather and voting:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ections-965331

It is, also, pretty ridiculous.

I'll be honest and say my voting experience wasn't great either. The official TX polling locations were incorrect for my precinct, took me 20 minutes out of my way. (And the new location was super empty so no line so not all bad).

Also sad that NJ stayed blue. It was a long shot but even really liberal people disliked Mendez.

So, GOP made gains in the Senate, the Democrats took the House (along with flipping six governors). More progress for the GOP in the senior house than I would have expected considering the losses elsewhere, but I'm not surprised they held onto the Senate, not with so many fewer GOP senate seats up for reelection. Looks to me like there's one House seat that is going to go into recounts: the Georgian 6th District has the GOP candidate leading his opponent by 57 votes out of 302,600 cast.

Kobach lost in Kansas, good news. OTOH, it looks like that indicted & racist jackass Duncan Hunter in California's 50th district is going to keep his seat.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

TX 23rd called for Will Hurd even though final results appear to show a narrow victory for Gina Ortiz Jones with all precincts reporting. Not often the AP makes a premature call.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Looks like the voter suppression efforts in Georgia worked.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Looks like the voter suppression efforts in Georgia worked.
    They'll conclude that you can't draw such conclusions

So really the GOP wins across the board. They get to keep packing the courts with right wingers and now, in the Democratic House, they have someone to "force" them to compromise and reduce the deficit, something they literally could not do with a GOP House. So now we'll see the media blitz of "too much entitlement spending is causing the deficit!" Democrats will compromise on a bill that mixes social safety net spending cuts with some modest tax hikes, and take the blame for both in 2020. More-than-incremental progress towards the Right Wing Utopia of unfettered Money, I'd say.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Democrats get to embarrass Trump and his officials with hearings into their many mess-ups (and crimes). An effective Democratic veto over the budget doesn't hurt either.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Oversight, investigations, medicaid expansion in several states, several crucial governorships and AG:s, a chance to build support locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Democrats get to embarrass Trump and his officials with hearings into their many mess-ups (and crimes). An effective Democratic veto over the budget doesn't hurt either.
    Embarrass Trump? Seriously? The man literally has no shame at all. Impossible.

Anyway, I think the veto on the budget is what the GOP wants. They'll try to maneuver the Dems to compromise on a budget bill involving program cuts and maybe a small tax hike. The GOP probably is concerned about the ballooning deficit, but they want to use it to at least nibble at medicare/ medicaid/ social security.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Dems went all in on healthcare, and were rewarded for it; if they compromise on that and give the GOP a win they'll be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Dems went all in on healthcare, and were rewarded for it; if they compromise on that and give the GOP a win they'll be punished.
    Exactly! That's why the GOP wins. If the Dems refuse to compromise on a deficit reduction plan, then the deficit could be spun as their fault, so they lose in 2020. But if they DO compromise on a plan by accepting spending cuts, then they ALSO lose in 2020. The GOP will not accept a tax increase alone, and their base doesn't give a shit about compromise at all, so they win either way.
    The Rules

Why are people in your country so dumb. Why.

Also, Democrats have been in similar situations before wrt the deficit. What strategies have they used before to save the US's finances?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Also, Democrats have been in similar situations before wrt the deficit. What strategies have they used before to save the US's finances?
    They compromised. It's what you do when you actually want to govern in good faith. But that's not what the GOP's been doing, and to get what they really want, they don't have to.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    So, GOP made gains in the Senate, the Democrats took the House (along with flipping six governors). More progress for the GOP in the senior house than I would have expected considering the losses elsewhere, but I'm not surprised they held onto the Senate, not with so many fewer GOP senate seats up for reelection. Looks to me like there's one House seat that is going to go into recounts: the Georgian 6th District has the GOP candidate leading his opponent by 57 votes out of 302,600 cast.

Kobach lost in Kansas, good news. OTOH, it looks like that indicted & racist jackass Duncan Hunter in California's 50th district is going to keep his seat.
    I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around West Virginia. The state that voted for Trump by a greater margin than any other state and they keep electing a "moderate" Democrat to the senate.

Kind of shocked the mid-terms went pretty much as expected. I generally expect political news out of the U.S to be some form of major upset/unprecedented scandal/constitutional crisis/all of the above.

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Nunes lost his committee chair. So I'm at least a little happy.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    Kind of shocked the mid-terms went pretty much as expected. I generally expect political news out of the U.S to be some form of major upset/unprecedented scandal/constitutional crisis/all of the above.
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

My county ended up being an island of sanity in an ocean of depravity. Dems control the local level and we voted for improvement taxes.

Honestly surprised the state turned down lowering their property taxes. It would have destoryed public services, but so few people around here seemed capable of understanding that before the polls opened. Departments all over were running on a shoestring budget this last year to prep for that amendment passing. Curious how the budgets are going to look next year.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post

So, what you're saying, Donald, is that the Democrats should ceaselessly investigate every aspect of your administration? Because that's what I'm hearing.
    He's making threats like a childish bully -- he won't play with house Dems unless he picks the games and makes up the rules.

I was able to vote in about 20 minutes at my new district/polling place. Pleasantry surprised that my changed address/registration was glitch-free. They didn't even want to see my new voter ID card or updated driver's license, just my old one.

It probably would have been even faster if it hadn't been manned by all senior volunteers who were verrryyy slow (with trouble reading the books' print and numbers). There were six machines but I voted alone....because there was a man out front 'pre-sorting' people by last name, as if we couldn't see the big alphabet signs hanging above the tables, which created the only wait line. And not sure why it took 2 people to hand me the computer card.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/getting-ugly-fast

Not sure whether to laugh or be aghast. The GOP really just doesn't like democracy, does it?