Thread: Steam Sale

Default Steam Sale

Time to pick some items up, anything particular good that's on sale this go around?

Anyone play Tyranny?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Anyone play Tyranny?
    Yes, it was fantastic.

Picked up Anno 2205 in the steam sale, because it was relatively cheap and I liked previous games in the series. This one is awful though. For some reason they decided that instead of having one map with stuff going on, they were going to split everything into a bunch of smaller maps, with lengthy load screens between each one. This makes managing colonies frustrating since it's so difficult and time-consuming to switch between them. Then there's the missions which are on yet another map. Adding to that, the camera is awful, and stuck way too zoomed in. It's also a poorly optimized mess (and now that I think about it, that's probably why you're forced to be so zoomed in), I have a top-end system and this game brings it to it's knees, which is ridiculous for a game like this. Top it all off with the usual Ubisoft cancer it's packaged with, and it's not worth even the small price it has now. I think I'm going to get a refund.

I didn't know you could get a refund with Steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Refunds are why we don't have flash sales anymore.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Yes, it was fantastic.
    Is it? Just looking at it seems like a Baulder's Gate knockoff. Convince me its good?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Is it? Just looking at it seems like a Baulder's Gate knockoff. Convince me its good?
    It's the same genre, but that's a pretty low bar for being called a knockoff.

It's been a long time since I've played it, so my memory's a little fuzzy. It's built on the same engine as Pillars of Eternity, but they did a better job with it. Pillars had a problem where combat became too cluttered, with all the samey-looking characters bunched up and it made it difficult to tell what was going on. Pillars has fewer player characters (4 instead of 6), and the art style is much more vibrant, so it's much easier to see what's happening.

The story is actually interesting, which isn't something all games can pull off. The big bad has already conquered the world, and you're his henchman. If you've ever read the Mistborn series, he's basically the Lord Ruler and you're in the Final Empire. The game starts with you being sent to quash a rebellion by casting a spell that will kill everybody in the region regardless of allegiance if they don't obey. That gets resolved fairly quickly, and the rest of the game flows from your decisions. The story branches pretty wildly, and it really does feel like your decisions matter and affect the story, in contrast with the shallow difference most other games offer. There are apparently regions in the game I've never visited because my story never took me there.

The mechanics are pretty solid, with a bunch of customization options for you and your party. It's been long enough that I don't remember too many details, but I do remember that I really liked the character customization, the spellcrafting, and all the stuff you could do to build your party.

Too keep from being too positive, the game was a bit shorter than I expected, and it ends a bit abruptly. This is probably a result of how much the story can branch. Though it's probably a good sign that I was sad when I realized it was over. There's an expansion out that apparently helps fix the abrupt ending, but I haven't played it. I'd already moved on and forgotten how to play the game by the time it came out.
    Last edited by Wraith; 07-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's the same genre, but that's a pretty low bar for being called a knockoff.

It's been a long time since I've played it, so my memory's a little fuzzy. It's built on the same engine as Pillars of Eternity, but they did a better job with it. Pillars had a problem where combat became too cluttered, with all the samey-looking characters bunched up and it made it difficult to tell what was going on. Pillars has fewer player characters (4 instead of 6), and the art style is much more vibrant, so it's much easier to see what's happening.

The story is actually interesting, which isn't something all games can pull off. The big bad has already conquered the world, and you're his henchman. If you've ever read the Mistborn series, he's basically the Lord Ruler and you're in the Final Empire. The game starts with you being sent to quash a rebellion by casting a spell that will kill everybody in the region regardless of allegiance if they don't obey. That gets resolved fairly quickly, and the rest of the game flows from your decisions. The story branches pretty wildly, and it really does feel like your decisions matter and affect the story, in contrast with the shallow difference most other games offer. There are apparently regions in the game I've never visited because my story never took me there.

The mechanics are pretty solid, with a bunch of customization options for you and your party. It's been long enough that I don't remember too many details, but I do remember that I really liked the character customization, the spellcrafting, and all the stuff you could do to build your party.

Too keep from being too positive, the game was a bit shorter than I expected, and it ends a bit abruptly. This is probably a result of how much the story can branch. Though it's probably a good sign that I was sad when I realized it was over. There's an expansion out that apparently helps fix the abrupt ending, but I haven't played it. I'd already moved on and forgotten how to play the game by the time it came out.
    Thanks! The price is right and I love choice heavy games.

Has anyone tried Kingdom Come: Deliverance?

Trailer reminds me of Mount & Blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I picked up Opus Magnum. Very satisfying.

There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Sale ends tomorrow afternoon.

Everything is 70% off till then.

This time around I bought the Just1337 bundle, PAN PAN (Panty Party), Genital Jousting, Poly Bridge, Calm Down Stalin, and the bits I was missing from the original Magicka series.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-05-2018 at 02:36 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."