Thread: Today's Republican Party is....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Of course both parties cater to special interests. That's got nothing to do with what Dread said. Dread said that the Democratic Party is more or less a collection of distinct and disparate interests groups which don't have all that much in common with each other. The Republican Party is more composed of overlapping interests and has stronger natural cohesion as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    As has been pointed out before, the Republican party does have a more consistent set of "principles" centered around limited government, low taxation/business regulation and accommodating religious faith. The party fluctuates more on foreign policy and even welfare.

The Democratic party is more of a collection of interest groups, with many wanting something specific from the government for their interest group.

I worried about this a lot during the 2004 elections when I supported Kerry. It is both a strength and a weakness of the Democratic party base. In 2004, many Republicans were able to capitalize on it was a weakness as they swung towards what voters wanted on national security. Or, depending on how you like to look at it, pushed voters towards their contemporary vision on national security.
    And I am asking how "overlapping interests" centered around limited government is a stronger, natural cohesion when it means getting all up in women's bodies, trying to ban abortion and limit birth control, telling gay couples they can't marry, and gays don't belong in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    And I am asking how "overlapping interests" centered around limited government is a stronger, natural cohesion when it means getting all up in women's bodies, trying to ban abortion and limit birth control, telling gay couples they can't marry, and gays don't belong in the military.
    No, that wasn't anything like what you'd just posted and I'm not dropping LSD to try and have a coherent conversation with you.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    No, that wasn't anything like what you'd just posted and I'm not dropping LSD to try and have a coherent conversation with you.
    What if someone else bought the LSD for you and had it delivered direct to your door?
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.