Thread: Malaysia legalizes kiddy marriage for Mohammedans

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post

How is this entire paragraph anything but personal insults?

I responded to your arguments, such as they were, and you come back with this? After we (the forum) agreed to try and tone down the deconstruction of conversation?

I am sorry but I do not understand the distinction of "light" conversation and how exactly one is supposed to uphold to this invisible standard. Are we to indicate possible use of harsh terms in the thread title, perhaps?

This thread was opened with an article about extending the "right" to marry small children. Why you are setting up this straw-man about banning marriages from consenting 16-year-olds I cannot comprehend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not a straw man, he's just looking at it one way--kids under 16 getting married--rather than in the scarier way--eg. kids under ten getting married. I made the same mistake earlier in this thread, and I know I wasn't trying to set up a straw man or to score points.
    To clarify, Minx got this right. I was specifically talking about the basic principle of people marrying when they are 16 or so, as that was a number mentioned in the article. I wasn't looking at this as ten year old kids getting married, which I think is clearly wrong.

That said, Nessus I don't see how/why you would assume I support ten year olds getting married. This is why I specifically said, "I have nothing in common with those who do voluntarily want to get married at the age of 16, but that's on them to make the choice and live with it (and probably get divorced)."

Emphasis on "AT the age of 16". Not "UNDER the age of 16". Your response to this very specific statement was to go sorta nuts and accuse me of being an American Taliban. But the reason I brought it up was in response to Chaloobi's comments, which as we all see were clearly leaning towards making it illegal for 16 year olds to marry.
    Last edited by Dreadnaught; 08-09-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Grammar