Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2

I preordered and downloaded! You can still get the downloadable version with early access, eg. from: https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/buy/di...deluxe-edition

However, it seems to cost a good deal more than the regular version

Game client downloading at 10MB/sec
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Bah, when I was creating the display name, it didn't tell me if Loki was taken, and only told me that it was afterward. As a result, my display name will be Loki.9831. They better change that in the near future.

Have we decided on a world? Should we just stalk Lewk?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Loki.9831 - kinda catchy

~

Guuhhhh £49.99

Far Shiverpeaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Loki.9831 - kinda catchy

~

Guuhhhh £49.99
    I like how they charge an extra 16 pounds for a pre-purchase in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Far Shiverpeaks?
    Is it English speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Bah, when I was creating the display name, it didn't tell me if Loki was taken, and only told me that it was afterward. As a result, my display name will be Loki.9831. They better change that in the near future.
    Your display name is a unique account identifier that consists of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it on the Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Forums. The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear.

I know that. The point is that if Loki wasn't taken, the numbers wouldn't appear in-game. And they didn't warn me in advance that Loki was taken (though I suppose I kind of saw it coming).

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Is it English speaking?
    Swederländisch, so everyone speaks English

Gandara and Desolation are supposed to be the unofficial UK servers, may be a better choice

I know that. The point is that if Loki wasn't taken, the numbers wouldn't appear in-game. And they didn't warn me in advance that Loki was taken (though I suppose I kind of saw it coming).
    It's all right, you still get to pick character-names without numbers, and that's what people see in-game for the most part.

Ehhh oh well 9831.

Have never come across an MMO whereby your account name is your in-game name. How odd. And come to think of it, how shit. Game will looks pants with lots of names running around with 4-digits after them.

I wouldn't sweat it, just create others. I have dozens of MMO names I use, some of which are taken, but the rest I put on my chars. I'm an alt-whore, so always create loads of chars.

I'd recommend just stalking Lewk. We don't have enough members to be picky about where to play.

Edit: Just realized that display name isn't the name of the character, which presumably won't have the 4 digits at the end.

I thought we wuz going with a US server?

Have to run, am off to see Batman in the cinema and have a bite to eat. Will see you online at zero hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Ehhh oh well 9831.

Have never come across an MMO whereby your account name is your in-game name. How odd. And come to think of it, how shit. Game will looks pants with lots of names running around with 4-digits after them.
    You choose character names when you create a new character, the numbered name is for other purposes!

Minx, since you played the betas, any recommendations on Necromancer vs. Engineer?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Okay, pre-bought the thing. Will take a while to download the client, though, what with the 3 Mbit connection and all.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Minx, since you played the betas, any recommendations on Necromancer vs. Engineer?
    Hmmm I didn't spend enough time with the engineer tbh... my brief dalliance with that class was fun, and a little more straightforward than the necro. Engineers tend to stay back a little, and are more about control than are necros. They're very versatile and offer more thematic variety. They can't switch weapons, unlike most other professions (this is because they have all that kit ). They also have a ridiculously useful resurrection skill, smelling salts, that can be used to self-resurrect

Also:

http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?p=390395

Do you like Team Fortress 2, then you will probably like this class. It's a Pyro, Demoman, Soldier, Engineer and medic all rolled into one class. On a more serious note though, it has access to a huge amount of skills and no cool downs between kit swaps. There is a lot to think about managing all your skills in a very fast engagement. This may be the highest micro class available with all the swapping to use your skills to their full potential. On the other hand though you could relax by filling your utilities with Turrets and camping out at your enemies closest capture point. Like all Guild Wars 2 classes you can play them in multiple different yet effective ways.
    Necros are reputedly the best survivor class in the game, once you get the hang of the profession. The Death Shroud is very nice, but strategic use is tricky. Necros kill summat slowly, and tend to have a bit more down-time. I like playing Necro mostly because I wanna figure out how to play it properly, but I think you might enjoy the engineer more

We've got 3 Europeans and 3 Americans playing. The two servers mentioned are Maguuma and Far Shiverpeaks. Anyone want to break the tie?

Also, would it be worth setting up a teamspeak server?

I would like to join (American)

Don't want to be a tie-breaker though, will play wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Hmmm I didn't spend enough time with the engineer tbh... my brief dalliance with that class was fun, and a little more straightforward than the necro. Engineers tend to stay back a little, and are more about control than are necros. They're very versatile and offer more thematic variety. They can't switch weapons, unlike most other professions (this is because they have all that kit ). They also have a ridiculously useful resurrection skill, smelling salts, that can be used to self-resurrect
    Any thoughts on an elementalist and ranger? The latter seems to have much better survivability, but I do like blasting things from afar.

Any thoughts on an elementalist and ranger? The latter seems to have much better survivability, but I do like blasting things from afar.
    You can keep your distance with both and both are fun, though the ranger offers greater weapons variety in combat and you get to use pets (who have iffy AI atm but getting better). The ranger also has greater range!

Switching server should be entirely free the first few days. Maguuma works for me and if it doesn't I can switch no probs

Okay. Maguuma, then, I guess, unless anyone wants to come up with objections?

Y/N on teamspeak server?

Minx, are you guild leader?

No idea how those work, but presumably it's possible to opt out if one's technology is a few decades old.

Any progress on making a guild?

I can make one now. Name?