Page 115 of 171 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 5128

Thread: TRUMP 2016

And we get what we pay for.....

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The US is one of the least taxed countries in the Western world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_to_GDP_ratio
    Yeah but government spending is over a THIRD of GDP. That eventually has to be paid for, the effective tax rate at a generational level is going to be the spending level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Yeah but government spending is over a THIRD of GDP. That eventually has to be paid for, the effective tax rate at a generational level is going to be the spending level.
    Budgets reflect priorities. They are, in essence, moral declarations. Are you comfortable when politicians try to cut spending by defunding domestic programs FIRST?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The US is one of the least taxed countries in the Western world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_to_GDP_ratio
    It's also one of the most successful. Doesn't mean you can't do better. Australia does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It's also one of the most successful. Doesn't mean you can't do better. Australia does.
    In which respects?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

In respect of having lower taxes as a share of GDP, higher GDP per capita, lower budget deficit, higher life expectancy, lower crime rates ... need I go on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Dread's secret identity has finally been exposed:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-con...96694?mod=e2fb

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Dread's secret identity has finally been exposed:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-con...96694?mod=e2fb
    Paywall

Hope is the denial of reality

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Trump Jr. scandal that has been unfolding slowly over the past few days. Thrilling! Hilarious! Exceptional dramaturgy

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/1...l-clinton.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN19W17J

He is dragging down Kushner and Manafort at this point too. The level of stupid here is beyond explanation.

oh and of course we have twitter

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Open Question for Americans: how much treason is too much for senior government figures even if they're Republicans?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...p-is-president

Best and the brightest behind Trump as well.

What on earth possessed him to release those emails?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Taking the fall for the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Sheer stupidity. His new thing is to claim that Democrats were doing it too, therefore it's ok.

New York Times has been playing him for the past week. Got him to change his story twice in ~24 hours and when he learned that they had the emails he released them first because that is somehow "winning."

Open Question for Americans: how much treason is too much for senior government figures even if they're Republicans?
    Have you been reading Lewk's posts lately? Turning America into a conservative shithole is goal #1, how its achieved is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-11-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ia-revelations

The fact that he was convinced the paper had them all and was going to release them anyway. It is better to get out ahead of that sort of story if they've got you dead to rights. It can't do more damage to you and it provides the only possible chance you have to try and take control of the frenzy afterward.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

The Four Questions about the Trump Russia scandal are, in increasing order of seriousness, are:

1) Did Russia interfere in the 2016 election to help elect Trump?
    2) Did Trump's campaign co-operate or coordinate with those efforts?
    3) Was there a quid-pro-quo, i.e. did Russia do this in exchange for the Trump enacting certain policies when in office?
    4) Does Russia have incriminating material on Trump, which could be used to blackmail him?

We've known for a while now the answer to 1) is yes, we now know that the answer to 2) is also probably yes.

FYI, the reason I've always said 'this is obviously true' about this is that once you know 1) is true then it becomes more and more likely that 2) is also true. Russia wants Trump elected, Trump wants Trump elected - why wouldn't they coordinate? Neither side is above doing so: Trump isn't going to go "No, I can't possibly accept these juice deets on Clinton from Russian State intelligence, that would be deeply improper", the man is a principle free zone.

Once 2) is true, then 3) is also more likely to be true. Russia isn't going to help Trump get elected out of the goodness of it's heart. Obviously, they think they're going to get something out of it and if they're already working together as of 2) then they might as well have some sort of agreement in place.

And once 3) is true, then 4) is also true by default: the very fact of and 3) (and, really, 2) is blackmail-able in and of itself.

In short, the fact that a) Russia messed with the 2016 election and b) Trump has has absolutely no principles and is also, not put to finer point on it, thick make it very likely in my mind that most of the allegations about Trump-Russia collusion are rooted in fact.

This may be a reason for the release of these e-mails: they make it look like it kinda stopped at 2) and then nothing much else came of it. Which is still pretty bad, but may not be as a bad as the reality.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The third claim doesn't become more likely to be true just because the second is, unfortunately. Trump's victory over Clinton--and the ensuing confusion, breakdown of trust etc--may be beneficial to Russia even without Trump deliberately giving them something in return.

That's true, but you know, since they were there...
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

and for that reason 3 being false doesn't effect 4. Trump, at the moment, could be a clueless pawn in all this and #4 still be true, ie the pee tapes.

Still looking forward to the 'guys in FBI windbreakers carrying boxes out of buildings into vans' stage of this thing.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The FBI raided a GOP consulting/money laundering firm back in May.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Steely, I think this is much better evidence for collusion than we have ever seen before. Don't know if it rises to the level of treason yet, but it's certainly getting there. Deeply problematic.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Steely, I think this is much better evidence for collusion than we have ever seen before. Don't know if it rises to the level of treason yet, but it's certainly getting there. Deeply problematic.
    *Ron Howard narrator voice*

It did rise to the level of treason.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

*Ron Howard narrator voice*

It did rise to the level of treason.
    Did it? In the legal sense? According to US law? Based on information currently available to the public? I don't see it.