Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

So.... non-book readers, you watch the latest episode yet?

Spoiler:
    I wonder, if Churchill had attended a banquet during WWII, and the band start playing the German anthem, would he be as oblivious as Robb was?

Only if he was as young?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

honor of the north combined with the exploitable superstition of westeros. That's the theme of the spoiler I posted a little while back.

wraith spoiler discussion:
    even his mom thought that following through with curtseys might save them
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-03-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler:
    I wonder, if Churchill had attended a banquet during WWII, and the band start playing the German anthem, would he be as oblivious as Robb was?
    Spoiler:

***GAME OF THRONES TV SPOILER***

A song whose meaning in the last episode was explained as being written solely around Tywin Lannister completely ending House Reyne. Keeping POV in mind that means most of the world thinks that House Stark is done. Robb is dead. Bran and Rickon are dead believed dead. The only known remaining survivors, Jon Snow, Arya (missing or dead), and Sansa can't perpetuate the house name.
    Last edited by Illusions; 06-03-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Testing failed. Its character count based, not line based.
    . . .

Question about the episode we are currently discussing, since I haven't seen the episode yet:

Spoiler:
    Did one of the characters compliment the band that was playing?

Been hearing grumblings about it, and I'm curious if the show is getting that far from how Martin makes the books feel.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Watch people watch the last episode.
    Spoiler:

In other news, do Starks have a genetic predisposition to make terrible decisions?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Arya's reaction, in some form of white southern accent. those new to vine, the mute is in the top left.

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

Spoiler:
    Realized afterward that Brienne is going to shit a brick when she finds out about this.
    . . .

Seems there are two distinct groups. One read the books, and the other didn't?

Seems like a pretty normal distinction? not sure what your point is.

Heh my wife's reaction wasn't like those but she did ask, "Why am I watching this?"
    Last edited by Lewkowski; 06-07-2013 at 04:46 AM.

To see dragons...duh.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    To see dragons...duh.
    First season was to see Jason Mamoa. After that, it was the dragons!
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way...

Watching the seasons a second time and noticed:

Spoiler:
    In Season 1, one of Daenerys's handmaidens prior to her wedding to Drogo mentions that she has gained her knowledge from a merchant in Qarth, and that its the same handmaiden in Season 2 who betrays her by teaming up with Doxos, a merchant from Qarth?

Spoiler:
    Or that when Caetlyn, Robb, and the rest of his entourage are eating the salt and bread with Walder Frey to signify their protection under guest rights, per tradition, that in the background Edmure Tully is either wiping his mouth or spitting the food out into his cloak with a look of distrust, and that he's the only one not shot, stabbed, or burned alive from Robb's party at the Red Wedding?
    . . .

Spoiler:
    The Blackfish also survives. Good spot on the other one, though.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Spoiler:
    The Blackfish also survives. Good spot on the other one, though.
    Spoiler:
    I do hope they give further details about how he got away next season. I understand his going outside to take a piss saved him from the slaughter in the dining area, but it looked like Frey and Bolton's men were being pretty thorough in the murdering and torturing going on in the main camp outside. At least they had The Hound grab a Frey banner to explain his successful exit.
    . . .

Spoiler:

I didn't really get the impression that it was some kind of well organised total purge of Stark and Tully men. All they needed to do was destroy the Stark and Tully army as a fighting force. Wouldn't matter if one or two slipped away.

On a more practical note, the night was pitch fucking black and and all the fighting men were running around with blazing torches, thus robbing themselves of their night sight. I don't think it'd be too hard for a dude in black gear to slip away, especially an experienced type like Brynden Tully.

I don't think it's something that needs or warrants a detailed explaination.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

It's a shame they didn't include Strong Belwas. Racists.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    At least the little twerp will be gone.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'm looking forward to the fight involving the Mountain, though it seems they cast an actor who's not particularly tall to play him this season (he'll be the third Mountain actor thus far).

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm looking forward to the fight involving the Mountain, though it seems they cast an actor who's not particularly tall to play him this season (he'll be the third Mountain actor thus far).

I don't know how tall the mountain is supposwd to be in the books, but the new actor is 6.9
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Damnit you guys
    To be fair, my post didn't really contain a spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    I don't know how tall the mountain is supposwd to be in the books, but the new actor is 6.9
    About 8 feet. Sandor is supposed to be nearly 7.

Exactly 17 people in history have reached 8 feet, 3 of them are alive today and none of them have the build to match the Mountain. I'd rather have a "shorter" actor who looks as overwhelmingly strong as Gregor is supposed to be than one the 'correct' height who doesn't.

I seriously doubt anyone that tall could be as powerful as the Mountain anyway, the human body doesn't really work at 8 feet high.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Actor height doesn't mean shit if the film guys know what they are doing. And considering that these guys have used camera tricks in previous GoT episodes to exaggerate size and quantity, I'm not worried. Problems only come up when the actor shows up in other films, I spent most of Greenstreet Hooligans trying to convince myself that hobbits aren't fans of soccer.

Andre was 7'4". A fight between someone 8'+ and anyone else would be a bitch to frame correctly without using the same tricks you would use to make someone look taller than they are.

I wasn't expecting them to find someone who was 8', but even the last guy to play the Mountain was over 7'.

But that guy was so skinny. Well, he wasn't, he actually had a perfectly normal build verging on muscular but on 7' it looks skinny - unless the actor is also exceptionally broad, like the S1 mountain or this guy.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come