Page 13 of 127 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Plans get in place in most large organizations on an annual basis (or more frequently) but every time a crisis occurs a new plan is created based on the facts on the ground. This is exactly what happened here. My issue isn't that tailored plans are being made, my beef is the stupidity and wastefulness of overly specific BCP planning that never ends up working like that.
    As someone who has been certified in several levels of FEMA training, you're an idiot.

No organization plans from the bottom up for disasters. Exactly because of idiots like you, because if the disaster requires even the slightest deviation from the original plan people like you lose their shit. A proper planning stuture focuses on the chain of command so that those who are best situated to react to a diaster can plan for it as it's unfolding and those under them know who to listen to, and when and where to get the most current directives from.

Or are you trying to claim that all stores should have early bird specials for the elderly written into all their disaster plans? Before this month my work had no existing plan that combined remote learning and outreach with decontamination protocols, but here we are.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-18-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Eastenders has been cancelled so every cloud has a silver lining afterall
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Schools largely closing now with plans in place for critical key workers children to continue at schools as well as vulnerable children while everyone else stops.

Well organised and a good idea. Glad an organised plan has been followed and that the work from home advice came FIRST rather than a knee jerk closure of schools while people continued to go to work, thus dropping kids off with grandparents making this worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

This is horribly depressing stuff.

My children are really upset. Both in tears now about missing school, their friends and their SATs (!).

I'm pretty much housebound anyway with ongoing chemotherapy. The few days I have every fortnight where I do feel well enough to venture out, go for food or Do Stuff now become significantly more annoying and complicated.

We're totally screwed if Mrs Gogo gets the virus. She suffers from asthma and we're both worried about the effect it'll have on her.

Eurgh. Really shitty.
    Last edited by gogobongopop; 03-18-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Seems like I still can get back to Amsterdam. I changed my flight to 4 days earlier. KLM flies empty planes to Istanbul till the 22nd but only allows Dutch citizens on the return flights.
    And last night KLM stopped flying to Istanbul altogether. Was only two hours on hold to be rebooked to an earlier flight on AirFrance with a connection in Paris. But it's still 30 hours away. So who knows.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    We're totally screwed if Mrs Gogo gets the virus. She suffers from asthma and we're both worried about the effect it'll have on her.
    I feel you - my kind-of-girlfriend (we're still in the early stages) also has asthma.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

And last night KLM stopped flying to Istanbul altogether. Was only two hours on hold to be rebooked to an earlier flight on AirFrance with a connection in Paris. But it's still 30 hours away. So who knows.
    Relatives of mine are marooned on Aruba. They'd need to get back to Boston but failed to catch the last plane.

My mother will be visiting, hopefully, unless they decide to lock down sthlm before then. I think her reasoning was that, if she stays in sthlm, the best case scenario is she doesn't see the baby for several months, and the worst case scenario is she doesn't see the baby ever again. She doesn't want to get stuck here but that's a distinct possibility. I'm quite torn; in many respects the safest strategy is to stay put, but that may not be feasible for her for very long b/c frankly she's living on her own with no-one around to help, in a region that's almost certainly going to be overwhelmed by severely ill patients within the next few weeks. Coming here has its own risks - both from travelling (even if she avoids public transportation and goes via a less busy domestic airport) and due to exposure to, well, me - but the likelihood of avoiding infection in sthlm is shrinking by the day. Anyway, I neither can nor want to say no - I want my mother here, and I'm glad she wants to be here.

Meanwhile, the Swedish authorities' response continues to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    My mother will be visiting, hopefully, unless they decide to lock down sthlm before then. I think her reasoning was that, if she stays in sthlm, the best case scenario is she doesn't see the baby for several months, and the worst case scenario is she doesn't see the baby ever again. She doesn't want to get stuck here but that's a distinct possibility. I'm quite torn; in many respects the safest strategy is to stay put, but that may not be feasible for her for very long b/c frankly she's living on her own with no-one around to help, in a region that's almost certainly going to be overwhelmed by severely ill patients within the next few weeks. Coming here has its own risks - both from travelling (even if she avoids public transportation and goes via a less busy domestic airport) and due to exposure to, well, me - but the likelihood of avoiding infection in sthlm is shrinking by the day. Anyway, I neither can nor want to say no - I want my mother here, and I'm glad she wants to be here.

It sounds quite horrible to have to make a choice between options that have no upsides. I would feel very conflicted about letting her stay with you as well. Is renting airbnb accommodation for her near you an option. It’s still not good but better than the stress of you possibly being the one who infects her.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Relatives of mine are marooned on Aruba. They'd need to get back to Boston but failed to catch the last plane.
    They can’t fly to Toronto either? (Presuming they reside in Boston)
    Congratulations America

They can’t fly to Toronto either? (Presuming they reside in Boston)
    They tried.

It sounds quite horrible to have to make a choice between options that have no upsides. I would feel very conflicted about letting her stay with you as well. Is renting airbnb accommodation for her near you an option. It’s still not good but better than the stress of you possibly being the one who infects her.
    Our HOA has a nice room nearby that's often available for renting, hoping we can use that. Hope you get back safe

meanwhile, the best smartest people have a message for the US:

Headline of the day.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Our HOA has a nice room nearby that's often available for renting, hoping we can use that. Hope you get back safe

meanwhile, the best smartest people have a message for the US:

Somebodies not told Sen Ron Johnson who the 3% to 4% of the population he's prepared to see die would have voted for if they hadn't been prematurely killed by his callousness.

The quote is right there... "no more than 3.4 percent of our population... probably far less"

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The quote is right there... "no more than 3.4 percent of our population... probably far less"
    It's obvious from that statement that he didn't realize at first that 3.4% of the population is a very large quantity, as is, indeed, 1% of the population.

After the spring breakers helped our crowded beaches go facepalming viral cities all around Tampa Bay have finally decided to close the beaches. Guess they had to wait for those hotel reservations to get filled first...
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So, a few years ago my mother fell and badly broke her knee. Since Dad was still working full-time and I mostly work evenings I moved back in with them to help out. Last summer they finished a remodel to make the house more handicap-friendly. I was going to move out then but we all agreed it didn't make a lot of financial sense for me at the time. We found out on the 5th that someone in my mother's social circle was on that cruise ship that sat outside SF (still on it, mind you, not someone who had disembarked from it at an earlier point but someone who was in quarantine-at-sea). That sent my Dad's paranoia into overdrive. He's convinced that he's going to die if he gets the virus (he's 70 but in excellent health. Never even gets a sniffle when I or my mother being home colds and flus) The next day he told me I had to either quit my job so the house could be isolated or I had to move out within ten days. I made his deadline by one day, though I'm now looking for a roommate because the best affordable option I could get in that time-frame was a 2br on a six-month lease.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

No offense, LF, but your dad sounds like a dick.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

And that's putting it friendly.
    Congratulations America

That's a horrible situation LF but it is a horrible lose-lose situation for everyone. Our government's advice now is that the over 70s need to be isolated and that means the whole household needs isolating, anyone who is in a household with an over 70 should be working from home.

Being in excellent health doesn't protect you from this virus if you're over 70.

My sister told my parents not to come over (they have kids with snotty noses), also because they're a risk group. I think this may be the time they start realising they're getting old Though not over 70 yet.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

My parents are quarantined in France.

Michel Barnier has COVID. Get well soon.

Theres been more than a bit of inequality concerning testing in the US. The criteria to be tested is obviously to stringent still, but celebrities and athletes are being tested, even without symptoms.
    Trump finally decided to address the problem, and his short response can be paraphrased into "tough shit".

Anyone want to explain this one? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    No offense, LF, but your dad sounds like a dick.
    I just got kicked out my home by him. You're not going to offend me by calling him a dick. I've been calling him worse things, as have my brother and sister.

That's a horrible situation LF but it is a horrible lose-lose situation for everyone. Our government's advice now is that the over 70s need to be isolated and that means the whole household needs isolating, anyone who is in a household with an over 70 should be working from home.
    Unfortunately, I'm an assistant manager in a large "essential retail" store, these days. I can't work from home and we actually NEED to stay open for people.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm an assistant manager in a large "essential retail" store, these days. I can't work from home and we actually NEED to stay open for people.
    Yeah so caught between a rock and a hard place. Horrible situation to be in.

Anyone want to explain this one? WTF?
    It’s somewhat confusing. The only thing I understand is that Europeans brought epidemics to America must have been what she was thinking about. Some of those diseases were chinese in origin but I doubt that is what she is trying to say.
    Congratulations America