Page 10 of 75 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Wow... that video. I'm going out on a limb here but I think that video is supposed to be stupid in a quirky make fun of yourself sort of way.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Yeah, I'll trash Elf. 2/5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    2/5 stars.
    Sounds about right.
    Such is Life...

Then we have nothing more to talk about, tear.

The American and A Serious Man.. not sure what ti think of the latter, to be honest.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

The last 3 years. A good movie with very few implausible parts. Still, why they needed to solve the murder in the end escapes me. There was nothing wrong with the ambiguity in that part.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    Then we have nothing more to talk about, tear.
    Yeah, call me when your sense of humor has passed the elementary school level.

It makes no rational sense to rank Couple's Retreat higher than Elf. It's sheer madness. You are mad.

This is not to say that Elf was a work of art or anything. It was a very good medium for Ferrell's stupid brand of humor, however. I might have given it 2.5/5, but couple's retreat would get 1 or 1.5/5
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Sounds about right.
    Have you seen couple's retreat though? He gave that pos 3/5.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    It makes no rational sense to rank Couple's Retreat higher than Elf. It's sheer madness. You are mad.
    For thirty years, I have plotted against the Party

I am sick, of mind and body
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I take it you also think The Hungry Caterpillar is an absolute pile of rotting fetid garbage because its not on the level of Shakespeare? How about Canterbury Tales? Are fart jokes cool only if they're a few centuries old and told in Middle English? I guess that does add to the sophistication factor...
    . . .

The kids are allright. Julianne Moore and Annette Benning are a lesbian couple in a movie going through a crisis after their children decide to contact their father. Funny at times, poignant at times but most of all worth your time.
    Congratulations America

For the Julianne Moore fans: Boogie Nights
    The Rules

Sure I would. One movie is for juveniles, one for adults. But you're correct that I failed to take into account its target audience. Elf is a children's movie, how does it rate in that category? Maybe a 3/5.

This is not to say that Elf was a work of art or anything. It was a very good medium for Ferrell's stupid brand of humor, however. I might have given it 2.5/5, but couple's retreat would get 1 or 1.5/5
    Don't be silly. Ratings that low are reserved for the unwatchable, i.e. B or C movies that have no camp value. Say, Ishtar. I almost never give 1 star, since I don't actually watch one star movies, do I? Why would I waste my time that way?

So you might not like Couple's Retreat, but giving it 1 star is disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Are fart jokes cool only if they're a few centuries old and told in Middle English?
    Wow, stunningly good point. So you're saying that Elf is as good as Chaucer?
    Last edited by ']['ear; 12-04-2010 at 02:57 PM.

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

[QUOTE="']['ear;58821"][QUOTE=EyeKhan;58531]It makes no rational sense to rank Couple's Retreat higher than Elf. It's sheer madness. You are mad.

Sure I would. One movie is for juveniles, one for adults. But you're correct that I failed to take into account its target audience. Elf is a children's movie, how does it rate in that category? Maybe a 3/5.

Don't be silly. Ratings that low are reserved for the unwatchable, i.e. B or C movies that have no camp value. Say, Ishtar. I almost never give 1 star, since I don't actually watch one star movies, do I? Why would I waste my time that way?

So you might not like Couple's Retreat, but giving it 1 star is disingenuous.
    Vis a vis genre, I agree. Couplers retreat was a bad movie even for its genre. It wasn't clever in any way. The characters were blatant stereotypes. The plot was idiotically predictable. The acting was sub-par for the talent. The sets could have been built in your garage. It was total crap. Minimum investment and a payoff anticipated by the high profile actors. Junk. Maybe 1 star was too harsh. But two? I dunno. 1.5 or 1.75 at best.
    The Rules

Wow, stunningly good point. So you're saying that Elf is as good as Chaucer?
    If I wiped your brain of any knowledge of Chaucer, and presented you with a filmed version of The Miller's Tale from Canterbury Tales, how do you think you'd rate it?
    . . .

I dunno,I enjoyed Elf. But I tend to enjoy kid's movies better anyway.

Won two tickets for 'Buried'

Anyone happen to have seen that one yet?

Yeah, call me when your sense of humor has passed the elementary school level.
    Not the sense of humor so much as the beautiful happiness. Pretty damn hard not to feel good when you watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Won two tickets for 'Buried'

Anyone happen to have seen that one yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by NGS
    Buried. Apparently Ryan Reynolds can't act his way out of a box but can do a damn good job while trapped in one.
    I think you'll enjoy it, Flixy.

Have you seen couple's retreat though? He gave that pos 3/5.
    No, just the premise of the movie puts me off, I was forced to endure The Break Up and did NOT enjoy it - once bitten, twice shy.
    Such is Life...

Holy shit dude, have you noticed the tk-421 reference in that film before? I was floored this time I watched it

De laatste dagen van Emma Blank (the last days of Emma Blank).

Brilliant movie, great acting too. About a woman who is dying, and has people act certain roles (e.g. husband, maid, but also dog) around her if they want a share of the inheritance.

Due Date, finally. I thought it was really funny even when it went entirely over the top. Of course I worship the ground under RDjr's feet, so even if the movie had been crap I'd still have had a great night.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Holy shit dude, have you noticed the tk-421 reference in that film before? I was floored this time I watched it
    No. What is it?
    The Rules

The Blind Side. Better than I expected. I didn't realize it was based on a true story. I generally shy away from the white-family-rescues-poor-black-prodigy-from-ghetto-to-reach-their-true-potential stories. This was done well, I'm guessing, largely because it was true. That leaves out a lot of the gonna-teach-the-audience-a-lesson drama. Interesting question from the NCAA, though. It had me wondering.
    The Rules

The first 40 minutes of The 6th Day with Arnold Shitactornegger.

It was such utter tripe that I couldn't watch it. It's a rare thing that I don't finish a movie.

The 6th Day had not a single redeeming quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Unstoppable.

AKA Trains are scary poo poo when nobody is driving it.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Tropic Thunder. Second or third time I've watched it, more humorous each time. Kind of odd, because I don't watch too many "new" movies that are dark with sardonic violent comedy like that. A couple of movies in that noire/genre disturbed me when I was younger --- Reservoir Dogs and Blood Simple. Hearing people laugh out loud during those films bothered me. War of the Roses was similar. Maybe even the one with the Anjopitts, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

The trailer really made me want to avoid that Unstoppable movie. Was it as bad as I expect it?