Thread: Does Anyone Want to Discuss Star Wars? [Spoilers]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Oddly, this I can get over. It's Force magic. And it's been established that Leia has the force particularly strong, so, okay, whatever. Same with Luke's astral projection. Okay. Force magic, I get it. Works for me. And it killed him in the end, so it's not willy nilly bullshit. There's a cost.
    Eh but her body was getting frosty, how long was she in the vacuum? Its hard to tell with scene cuts but if its long enough to get frost on it she should be dead. Space isn't a great at freezing people quickly.

It would have been better if she was flung out and then immediately used the force to drift back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Eh but her body was getting frosty, how long was she in the vacuum? Its hard to tell with scene cuts but if its long enough to get frost on it she should be dead. Space isn't a great at freezing people quickly.

It would have been better if she was flung out and then immediately used the force to drift back in.
    Probably sudden decompression would do lots of bad things to her body, like blow her lungs out her mouth, burst all her skin-surface blood vessels, pop her eyeballs, maybe boil her blood, and only freeze her after a nasty time of it. Yes, she would be in bad shape. And don't forget an exploding munition blasted open the ship's bridge before she was sucked into space, so, there's the heat and concussion from that too... But Force Magic, man. That's an easy one. It's the Force - it's strong with Leia. But it can't explain those dumb-ass, super-slow, ultra-short-range, zero-g as if there was g, bombers. Nothing explains that but complete disregard of even the least attention to sense.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Probably sudden decompression would do lots of bad things to her body, like blow her lungs out her mouth, burst all her skin-surface blood vessels, pop her eyeballs, maybe boil her blood, and only freeze her after a nasty time of it. Yes, she would be in bad shape. And don't forget an exploding munition blasted open the ship's bridge before she was sucked into space, so, there's the heat and concussion from that too... But Force Magic, man. That's an easy one. It's the Force - it's strong with Leia. But it can't explain those dumb-ass, super-slow, ultra-short-range, zero-g as if there was g, bombers. Nothing explains that but complete disregard of even the least attention to sense.
    Interestingly, I don't really find this all that annoying - obviously you have to recognize that they break all sorts of physics with their world, and just suspend disbelief for a couple of hours. One could even imagine some sort of logical explanation for some of the behavior - maybe the bombs 'drop' because they're not actually in free-fall, but suspended in some sort of antigrav field.

No, what bothers me is when there are illogical things that happen inside the suspension of disbelief. For example, piss-poor tactics wrt an interdiction force, or the lack of broader uses of relativistic/FTL projectiles, or whatever. That really grates - in such a case, it's poor writing, not poor science.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    No, what bothers me is when there are illogical things that happen inside the suspension of disbelief. For example, piss-poor tactics wrt an interdiction force, or the lack of broader uses of relativistic/FTL projectiles, or whatever. That really grates - in such a case, it's poor writing, not poor science.
    lol, you're crazy.

Seems to be very little tactical innovation in the Star Wars universe. Defense- hide your base/ battle station behind a shield. Offense- crawl under or covertly deactivate the shield. Oh, and blow up planets. This covers Episodes 4, 5, 6, 1, 7 and 8 and Rogue 1.

In Episode 2, 3 and 8 there's the tried-and-true recklessly throw all your assets at the enemy's meat-grinder with little or no tactical thought. This seems to be the go-to tactic of any sort of rebel group -- you know, the guys with the most to lose with said tactic.

The original Star Wars combat scenes were fairly gritty, seemed to adhere to a decent set of "rules," appeared to have been constructed with some care and thought, and helped make the movie one of the greatest of all time. It's been all down hill, or down cliff, since...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)