Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gawd helps those...

you had it in your mind to lambast people of faith, on Good Friday.
    By this logic, we should refrain from discussing the Abrahamic religions every fucking Wednesday, since we wouldn't want to offend those who believe in Odin, now would we.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    By this logic, we should refrain from discussing the Abrahamic religions every fucking Wednesday, since we wouldn't want to offend those who believe in Odin, now would we.
    Not really. I know lolli was raised in the Anglican faith, attended parochial schools, and at one time sent her children to the same schools. That is, if I'm to believe her posting history and persona. Much of that has turned out to be false, so which parts are we supposed to believe?

If I go on the assumption that she wouldn't lie about her education, or taking her children for the Eucharist, or asking about Lenten sacrifice, then I must believe she knew this was a holy week. Which would you rather, that I ignore her knowledge, or that I ignore my own?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Not really. I know lolli was raised in the Anglican faith, attended parochial schools, and at one time sent her children to the same schools. That is, if I'm to believe her posting history and persona. Much of that has turned out to be false, so which parts are we supposed to believe?

If I go on the assumption that she wouldn't lie about her education, or taking her children for the Eucharist, or asking about Lenten sacrifice, then I must believe she knew this was a holy week. Which would you rather, that I ignore her knowledge, or that I ignore my own?
    And it's unfair to expect people to know who Wutan was? Please.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I don't know Wutan. My only point is that Lolli knew this was a holy week, and decided to start a thread about GAWD. Then she acted surprised that someone might call her on that. This was not about the charity hypocrisy at all, but her need to mock people of faith.

She should have been honest from the get-go and said Holy Week is for Suckers, Easter is just about candy baskets, or something like that. But she didn't. She wrapped it up in articles about charity and shoes, America vs Africa, children v parents. She's like the chocolate bunny wrapped in foil, the very thing she claims to despise.

Penis penis penis, penis penis?

This isn't a holy week. No week is holy. There are no sky pixies.

She knew it was holy week to millions of people. She knew the story was two years old. She chose this timing. That's why she's a bitch. She won't even admit it, but would rather call anyone names who dares challenge her motives. No, she'd rather challenge the motives of others who are actually trying to do good things. What a gal.

So this wasn't even about ideology or "defense of faith", you just dislike the person and wanted to voice that. Gotcha.

So this wasn't even about ideology or "defense of faith", you just dislike the person and wanted to voice that. Gotcha.
    I like Lolli. I just don't like what she did with this thread. Maybe because I like her, and know she's smart and informed, this was especially disappointing.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Let's not forget Tyr (tuesday), Thor (thursday) and Freya (friday), shall we?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

You don't seem to know much, then.

I was not raised Anglican. I was raised Catholic. And I was never forced to believe.

edit: Also, incidentally, this thread had nothing to do with religion at all, other than a thread title using a common phrase appropriate to the attitudes I see in the two articles. You decided to turn it into what you wanted.

News articles. Dated yesterday. This wasn't digging up stories from years ago, this was two stories that made the local news yesterday.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    You don't seem to know much, then.

I was not raised Anglican. I was raised Catholic. And I was never forced to believe.
    My apologies then, I thought you were raised Episcopalian. I recall some things you posted about your past and how you raised your children, mostly in education and religious schools. But also that your daughter took communion and you made fun of her for that.

No one is ever forced to believe. Not in this day and age. Indeed, now we have kids who want to believe, and parents who mock them for it. Surely you can't label all believers as idiots looking for pixies in the sky, when your own daughter found comfort there. If you think all children outgrow it, as if it's some sort of childish ignorance and disability, there are about one billion people who would disagree.

My apologies then, I thought you were raised Episcopalian. I recall some things you posted about your past and how you raised your children, mostly in education and religious schools. But also that your daughter took communion and you made fun of her for that.

No one is ever forced to believe. Not in this day and age. Indeed, now we have kids who want to believe, and parents who mock them for it. Surely you can't label all believers as idiots looking for pixies in the sky, when your own daughter found comfort there. If you think all children outgrow it, as if it's some sort of childish ignorance and disability, there are about one billion people who would disagree.
    My mother converted long after I moved out of the house.

Furthermore, I did not make fun of my daughter for communion. I made fun of her look of misery that was a result of her desperately having to pee at the time.

My daughter doesn't find comfort in religion. She likes getting dressed up, and spending the night with her grandmother. Big difference, there.

My mother converted long after I moved out of the house.

Furthermore, I did not make fun of my daughter for communion. I made fun of her look of misery that was a result of her desperately having to pee at the time.

My daughter doesn't find comfort in religion. She likes getting dressed up, and spending the night with her grandmother. Big difference, there.
    Lots of little girls like dressing up, or being with grandma. May as well hold a formal tea.

No, my memory might suck, but I distinctly remember you posted (at the other place) about kneeling for the Eucharist with your daughter, and saying how you made a joke. You mocked the whole thing *yet took her to church and knelt for communion with her*. Pretty sure I said at the time that I found that offensive and wouldn't want you to do that in my church. That if you didn't believe then don't take communion, and don't make fun of those who do.

It might have been around the time that gay activists in CA took communion, dressed in drag, to make a point about Papacy doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Not to pick apart the article more, but how did Hannah know that the man in the Mercedes didn't run a charity himself? It's interesting how we judge people based on a fleeting moment, and our perceptions shape us. I mean, it's a good thing it got her thinking about giving to others, but its an unfair assessment that someone that has nice things wouldn't help others himself. Also, driving a Mercedes doesn't always mean you're rich, since I see alot of used ones driven by not so rich looking folks in my part of the world.

Anyway, there's my off topic rant of the night.
    Also, no Mercedes driven means no Mercedes built. How many people have a job, a house and food on their table because that guy on the left was driving a nice car?
    Congratulations America

I don't know Wutan. My only point is that Lolli knew this was a holy week, and decided to start a thread about GAWD. Then she acted surprised that someone might call her on that. This was not about the charity hypocrisy at all, but her need to mock people of faith.

She should have been honest from the get-go and said Holy Week is for Suckers, Easter is just about candy baskets, or something like that. But she didn't. She wrapped it up in articles about charity and shoes, America vs Africa, children v parents. She's like the chocolate bunny wrapped in foil, the very thing she claims to despise.
    You know Santa Claus? That's Wutan for you.
    Congratulations America

Lots of little girls like dressing up, or being with grandma. May as well hold a formal tea.

No, my memory might suck, but I distinctly remember you posted (at the other place) about kneeling for the Eucharist with your daughter, and saying how you made a joke. You mocked the whole thing *yet took her to church and knelt for communion with her*. Pretty sure I said at the time that I found that offensive and wouldn't want you to do that in my church. That if you didn't believe then don't take communion, and don't make fun of those who do.

It might have been around the time that gay activists in CA took communion, dressed in drag, to make a point about Papacy doctrine.
    She likes that, too.

Oh, that. Yeah, I watched her, and took communion. How was that making fun of her, again? Or maybe it was making fun of your beliefs, since God didn't strike me down for my audacity.

She likes that, too.

Oh, that. Yeah, I watched her, and took communion. How was that making fun of her, again? Or maybe it was making fun of your beliefs, since God didn't strike me down for my audacity.
    Why would you go to the altar and take communion, if you don't believe? Did it make you feel better to wink and nod or jab an elbow? Why couldn't you sit in the pew (probably rolling your eyes) and maintain some decorum? It would be the polite thing to do.

Yeah, I remember now, you took your daughter to church, because she wanted to go. During communion, you went along with her, to prove that heathens or heretics or non-believers would not be shot down by lightning, or something like that. You made it a joke. ha ha. Silly bread wafers and wine, see--even I drank and ate, but don't believe. Now don't you feel like a silly girl looking for santy claus or the tooth fairy or magic men in the sky?

Sounds like a twisted thing for a mother to pull. You could have stayed home. If you felt strongly enough about it, you could have kept your daughter home, too.

Why would you go to the altar and take communion, if you don't believe? Did it make you feel better to wink and nod or jab an elbow? Why couldn't you sit in the pew (probably rolling your eyes) and maintain some decorum? It would be the polite thing to do.
    Why wouldn't I want to watch my daughter? There was no winking and nodding or jabbing an elbow. I take communion when I go to church Christmas Eve, too (once again, that involves watching my daughter, who likes to be in the Christmas pageant). There is no lack of decorum involved. Why would there be? Maybe you can't control yourself, but luckily for me I'm not you. Not one person in that church has ever felt insulted by my presence when I have to make an appearance.

Yeah, I remember now, you took your daughter to church, because she wanted to go. During communion, you went along with her, to prove that heathens or heretics or non-believers would not be shot down by lightning, or something like that. You made it a joke. ha ha. Silly bread wafers and wine, see--even I drank and ate, but don't believe. Now don't you feel like a silly girl looking for santy claus or the tooth fairy or magic men in the sky?

Sounds like a twisted thing for a mother to pull. You could have stayed home. If you felt strongly enough about it, you could have kept your daughter home, too.
    What the fuck? I never, in any way shape of form, did something like that to my little girl. I made a joke on ACC, amongst adults. It was her fucking first communion and baptism. She wanted it. I said yes. She asked me if I would go, I wasn't going to hurt her feelings by not doing it.

You really are a sick and twisted bitch.

God, you two are on the same cycle or something PMS sure as hell did hit at the same moment.
    Congratulations America

Why wouldn't I want to watch my daughter? There was no winking and nodding or jabbing an elbow. I take communion when I go to church Christmas Eve, too (once again, that involves watching my daughter, who likes to be in the Christmas pageant). There is no lack of decorum involved. Why would there be? Maybe you can't control yourself, but luckily for me I'm not you. Not one person in that church has ever felt insulted by my presence when I have to make an appearance.
    You suggested to your daughter that communion was a joke. I recall that bothered me, because why would you bother to mock that?

You can watch a pageant without taking communion. Plenty of visitors only observe, even Christians who aren't familiar with the Eucharist as part of worship services stay in the pews (Methodists or Presbyterians for example).

Why would you have your daughter part of a Christmas pageant if you're so against religion? Why would you take communion if you think it's all hocus pocus? No one knows your heart and mind better than you, anyone can shuffle up to take communion, but if you believe it's nonsense, then I wonder why you bother.

Why does it bother you that an unbeliever did it?

Why does it bother you that an unbeliever did it?
    It doesn't. What bothers me is a mother who takes her child to church, because the child wants to go, but then the mother mocks it and makes fun of it.

Why? If anything, lillo was too restricted in that she didn't show her kiddy-wink the amusement; how else are we to wean the kids from the poison of religion if not by example?

She could have (should have?) kept her kids at home on Sunday and said something like, "We love gramma, but we don't practice that hocus pocus."

It's one thing to take kids to various houses of worship, to broaden their minds as observers, questioners and even skeptics. It's another thing to pretend to participate, or encourage our kids to participate, in things we don't actually believe in.

Observing is fine. Pretend participation is something else.

What is it, then?

You suggested to your daughter that communion was a joke. I recall that bothered me, because why would you bother to mock that?

You can watch a pageant without taking communion. Plenty of visitors only observe, even Christians who aren't familiar with the Eucharist as part of worship services stay in the pews (Methodists or Presbyterians for example).

Why would you have your daughter part of a Christmas pageant if you're so against religion? Why would you take communion if you think it's all hocus pocus? No one knows your heart and mind better than you, anyone can shuffle up to take communion, but if you believe it's nonsense, then I wonder why you bother.
    No, you worthless fucking cunt. I did not, in any way shape or form, tell my daughter that communion is a joke. Your imagination is trying to turn this into something it isn't, to make you right.

I would never be the sort of abusive parent you are trying to make me into here. Does it make you feel better about yourself to feel superior to others?

No, you worthless fucking cunt. I did not, in any way shape or form, tell my daughter that communion is a joke. Your imagination is trying to turn this into something it isn't, to make you right.

I would never be the sort of abusive parent you are trying to make me into here. Does it make you feel better about yourself to feel superior to others?
    So which is it, I'm a worthless fucking cunt, or you took your daughter to communion and Christmas pageants, even though you don't believe in any of it? It could be both.

But I've never accused you of being an abusive parent, Lolli. That came out of nowhere, with no provocation. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT
    It doesn't. What bothers me is a mother who takes her child to church, because the child wants to go, but then the mother mocks it and makes fun of it.
    Well, to be fair, it is pretty funny.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come