Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gawd helps those...

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Well, to be fair, it is pretty funny.
    Ah, religion. It's all fun and games until someone gets burned alive, or a plane is crashed into some building or other.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    So which is it, I'm a worthless fucking cunt, or you took your daughter to communion and Christmas pageants, even though you don't believe in any of it? It could be both.

But I've never accused you of being an abusive parent, Lolli. That came out of nowhere, with no provocation. WTF?
    It's both, for sure.

Saying that I would be deliberately cruel to my daughter is pretty much accusing me of being an abusive parent.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

If it's so heinous, then why would parents take their kids to church? Let alone kneel at the altar and take communion right alongside? Why would they enroll their kids in parochial schools, knowing that chapel or mass is part of the daily curricula?

Is this funny?

If it's so heinous, then why would parents take their kids to church? Let alone kneel at the altar and take communion right alongside? Why would they enroll their kids in parochial schools, knowing that chapel or mass is part of the daily curricula?

Is this funny?
    This comment was completely out in left-field.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    This comment was completely out in left-field.
    No it's not. Steely said this was funny, or what I said was funny. I don't think this is humorous at all.

In all seriousness Lolli, I would like to know why you took your daughter to church, and took communion with her, if you think it's all silly nonsense. If you believe it to be bunk, why would you pretend to participate?

Oh my gosh, GGT, maybe lolli just wanted to support her daughter in something she wanted to try out?

My mother is not a religious person; we only stepped into a church for weddings and funerals. But she never told us we couldn't go to church with our grandparents or friends if we wanted to. She wanted us to make the decision whether or not we wanted to be a part of that.
    I remember asking her what religion we were when I was a preteen. She told me she was Greek Orthodox, Dad Roman Catholic (neither practicing, just where they were baptized). And that when I grew up, I could decide what I wanted to be after I looked into different places.
    I decided rather than spend my time with all of the fluff, I'd just live my life and see what happens when I die.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Oh my gosh, GGT, maybe lolli just wanted to support her daughter in something she wanted to try out?
    Because lolli has yet to state that she supports her kids in finding their own way. If anything, her posting history suggests she loathes religion, all religions, and mocks it in every way she can. If that's her true stance, it would just be more honest to say so instead of pretending otherwise.

In all seriousness Lolli, I would like to know why you took your daughter to church, and took communion with her, if you think it's all silly nonsense. If you believe it to be bunk, why would you pretend to participate?
    She goes to church with my mother. On rare occasions I will go, too - pretty much limited to once a year. It does me no harm to rub blue mud in my navel by participating when I am there. It does them no harm, either. They aren't offended, I am puzzled about why you would be.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    She goes to church with my mother. On rare occasions I will go, too - pretty much limited to once a year. It does me no harm to rub blue mud in my navel by participating when I am there. It does them no harm, either. They aren't offended, I am puzzled about why you would be.
    What's the point, if you think it's all mumbo jumbo?

My kids might find no harm in voo doo, but that doesn't mean I'd worship with them, and pretend to go along. Also doesn't mean I'd let them go off with their voo doo grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    And it's unfair to expect people to know who Wutan was? Please.
    Sure, that's not one of the more common transliterations.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Sure, that's not one of the more common transliterations.
    I'd expect more Yanks to have heard about Wutan than the word transliteration
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I'd expect more Yanks to have heard about Wutan than the word transliteration
    Most Yanks will think you're trying to reference the Wu-Tang Clan with broken English. I don't think that line of discussion will be fruitful.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

So would transliteration evoke images of cross-dressing librarians?

Charity is a wonderful thing.
    No it's not. A recent study demonstrates that people who donate to charities don't care how effective (or completely ineffective) their charity of choice is at actually helping whatever cause it supports. Strongly adding evidence to the school of thought which says charity is all about making yourself feel good, and any actual help provided is completely incidental, unintentional and utterly beside the point.

Also, making the title as you did, on Good Friday, is just crass.
    I also salute lolli for being crass. Nothing worthwhile ever came out of decorum - it's just a pathetic attempt at imposing the society's moralistic bullshit on anyone in danger of having an original thought or novel idea.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmunchkin View Post
    One question? How the fuck are people supposed to let other people know they are trying to do something good, regardless of what form of charity it takes, if they don't publicize it?
    "EVERYONE, LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT HOW AWESOME AND SELFLESS I AM!!! I'M BEING CHARITABLE!!!"

Yeah... what could anyone possibly find objectionable or hypocritical about that?

She knew it was holy week to millions of people.
    So when Ramadan or Yom Kippur or Chinese fucking New Year rolls around we can expect you to be respectful to billions of people by revering their religions and being sensitive to their cultural expectations?

If so, I'll compile a list of all the dates when you're not allowed express an opinion without the permission of a man, appear in public without the presence of your owner husband or get off your knees for any reason other than being instructed to lie on your back and spread your legs for your master husband. And that's just for the Islamic "holy" days/weeks. I bet there's a lot of fun and utterly demeaning ways you'll have to "respect" Buddhists, Jews, Pagans, Taoists, Shintoists, and so on.

I eagerly await your reply.

Ah, religion. It's all fun and games until someone gets burned alive, or a plane is crashed into some building or other.
    Well it was.... until the godless, progressive heathen assholes decided women couldn't be property anymore.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.