Thread: "Zarmina's World" -- Astronomer's Zeroing in On Habitable Extrasolars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Sure, but the temperature difference is static, the cold side air pressure will rise due to the air flowing their, until it cancels. Unless there is a big source of air on the hot side.
    He's right - there are going to be constant wind speeds on tidally locked planets with atmospheres. Also remember that hot air rises, and what happens is that in the upper atmosphere air flows from the day side to the night side, where it cools down and sinks, and the pressure causes the cold air to flow from the night side to the day side at ground level. On many planets like that, it's supposed to actually keep the temperature relatively consistent across the planet that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    He's right - there are going to be constant wind speeds on tidally locked planets with atmospheres. Also remember that hot air rises, and what happens is that in the upper atmosphere air flows from the day side to the night side, where it cools down and sinks, and the pressure causes the cold air to flow from the night side to the day side at ground level. On many planets like that, it's supposed to actually keep the temperature relatively consistent across the planet that way.
    supposed to

The fact is that the geophysics of the situation is highly speculative.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"