Thread: TRUMP 2016

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Like many, many things in life that doesn't mean what you think it means.

I've got retired friends who are sailing from the UK to the Caribbean. They departed last summer, got to Portugal and rested their until after Christmas, flying home to see grandkids over Christmas. They're now sailing to the Caribbean and it will take them about 6 weeks, they've just passed Ascension Island which is viewed as last point to stop before continuing to cross the Atlantic and are now "past the point of no return". Their destination is now closer than Europe is.

That doesn't mean they don't need to worry. Just because they won't be returning to their starting point, doesn't mean they needn't take precautions and act safely while they're in the waters they're in. Actually it makes it more important to do so.
    I'm commenting on the fear mongering and the false 'rush to action' chicken little's that keep pushing the "point of no return" date out over and over again. Either they were wrong about the point of no return and therefore their other statements should be questioned... or they were right and let's get on with adapting. But under no circumstances should we still be blindly believing their 'humanity is doomed if we don't do x by this date' baloney.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I'm commenting on the fear mongering and the false 'rush to action' chicken little's that keep pushing the "point of no return" date out over and over again. Either they were wrong about the point of no return and therefore their other statements should be questioned... or they were right and let's get on with adapting. But under no circumstances should we still be blindly believing their 'humanity is doomed if we don't do x by this date' baloney.
    So, you're saying that we passed the point of no return and thus shouldn't do anything to at least mitigate the damage?

Of course this will go right over your head: But this is not a binary issue.

Let me try to put it into an analogy you may understand (though I'm confident this will go straight over your head):

You're told that if you continue this dietary habit that you may become diabetic. You don't stop and promptly become diabetic. But instead of then changing your ways you simply continue and do nothing about it because there's no rush. Which, in case of diabetes, usually leads to either death or amputations.

But sure, no rush. Getting a leg lopped off is such a great thing!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    So, you're saying that we passed the point of no return and thus shouldn't do anything to at least mitigate the damage?

Let me try to put it into an analogy you may understand (though I'm confident this will go straight over your head):

You're told that if you continue this dietary habit that you may become diabetic. You don't stop and promptly become diabetic. But instead of then changing your ways you simply continue and do nothing about it because there's no rush. Which, in case of diabetes, usually leads to either death or amputations.

You must be really bored to waste time responding to the village idiot.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post

Only the issue is the patient is diabetic yet despite the fact being told they would be. The issue has always been that people scream crisis in order to act with artificial dates to try to spur action, all the while continually losing their credibility.

Only the issue is the patient is diabetic yet despite the fact being told they would be. The issue has always been that people scream crisis in order to act with artificial dates to try to spur action, all the while continually losing their credibility.
    I am bored so I'll reply to the village idiot.

Lewk, the first Earth Day was in 1970. Just a bunch of hippie tree hugging anti-establishment types, dismissed for decades, with no real science to back up their claims. The only science that mattered came from the fossil fuel industry: no need to worry about acid rain, CFCs, the ozone, or lead in gasoline. All that greenhouse gas effect was just junk science from vegetarians complaining about cows farting methane, or something. Drill baby drill, right?

The patient is diabetic. Climate change isn't just possible it is already happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.