Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What's cookin' ?

My lady's parents, her brother and his gf came by for dinner last night. We made sushi, beef teriyaki and shrimp teriyaki, both with home-grown veggies. For dessert I made a sort of panna cotta style thing with mascarpone, cream cheese, cream and a berry compote (flavoured with hazelnut liqueur and balsamico) left over from making cake. Oooh and vanilla wafers! It was delicious but the wafers got a little too soggy. Had salmon and tuna scraps left over, so they're going into tonight's dinner, which is...

*drumroll*

... pasta sauce with pasta
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Hello to all here! Well this is something really light and easy to be prepared for dinner so i hope some of you will try this too-Ingredients: 1 / 2 kg peeled potatoes 1 / 2 l eg milk, 1 packet of butter, 2 egg yolks, salt, pepper, 3 slicesbread, cut into small cubes.
    PREPARATION: cover potatoes with water and boil. Then blend, dilute with hot milk, add 1 / 4 of butter, salt and boil 5 minutes pulls from heat, add pepper and egg yolks. The soup is served sprinkled with friedbread cubes in remaining oil.

Galantine de poularde stuffed with yummy spinach and wild mushrooms and feta cheese really really easy, fun and pretty cheap. One chicken is about six servings, you get delicious sauce and enough stock for a nice lunch

Garden burger, with caramelized onion humous and avocado.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter Jeweler View Post
    Garden burger, with caramelized onion humous and avocado.
    What does a Garden Burger consist of?
    Such is Life...

So how does this "Garden Burger" (which sounds suspiciously like a vegetarian burger) compare to something like...

This?

Such is Life...

It's different, and yummy in it's own right.

We've shifted our eating habits to include mostly whole food and mostly vegetable/vegetarian options.
    We are not being exclusive though.

English Muffin Pizza.

Kids loved making it, even Scarlett (when she wasn't busy eating the ingredients), and they tasted pretty damn good too.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Cool - we did bagel pizzas last week, but the holes in the middles caused a few problems.

I just had almond-flavored pancakes for lunch.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Annelini with ground elk meat, wild mushrooms, whiskey-and-pepper sauce, red and green tomatoes, and some stuff brown sugar was a good idea <3

Shepherd's Pie. I'm all about the Shepherd's Pie. I make a -mean- Shepherd's Pie.

The key is lots of tomato puree, lots of worcester sauce and bountiful lashings of mint sauce!

Those are some knobbly carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    Shepherd's Pie. I'm all about the Shepherd's Pie. I make a -mean- Shepherd's Pie.

The key is lots of tomato puree, lots of worcester sauce and bountiful lashings of mint sauce!
    I add some macaroni to my shepherds pie - it's good.
    Such is Life...

Mushroom-and-sausage risotto has quickly become one of my faves

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Those are some knobbly carrots.
    There were home grown, by somebody, at their home.

Aimless: share recipe!

Flixy, you just take ingredients and run them through the risotto algorithm without fear of failure! Strong smoky sausages are best. I usually use leftover soup + a stock cube, but stock alone works fine.

Today's success:

http://breakingtheculinarymold.wordp...e-poached-egg/

YAY I can has breakfast again! ps. add vinegar and salt. better than perfect. mine was prettier than this it was beautifully shaped. I flipped it into the frying pan and fried it very lightly on one side in bacon grease, ate it on toast with some bacon. freakin delicious

Grilled stuffed aubergines the stuffing consisted of chopped sauteed aubergine, onion, garlic, and some of our tiny tomatoes; some spices; and delicious smoked mussels.

Served with bulgur, toasted almonds, a couple of rashers of crispy bacon, cucumber, and

http://open.spotify.com/user/protiki...HkLt8IOhxvs8M8

Dessert: cold chocolate-and-cinnamon balls made chiefly from powdered digestives, rolled oats, butter, brown and white sugar, rolled in coconut flakes. yums

Pittsburgh Salad: various lettuce greens (mescaline, Boston leaf, romaine, baby spinach) layered with crispy French Fried Potatoes, sliced cherry tomatoes and red onion, pumpernickel croutons, finely shredded cheddar cheese, and juicy bite-sized angus steak medallions. Topped with dressing of choice. Very yummy and a bit different.

lasagna tonight!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Galantine numero tres

stuffing:

1. chicken liver mousse

2. mashed sweet potatoes and wild mushrooms

3. gingery pear puree with chopped walnuts

served with a bulgur-and-spinach thing

and much-anticipated Christmas beer

and fine freckled company <3

Best. Lasagna. Ever.

boeuf bourguignon with sauteed mushrooms and braised onions. check out julia child on youtube!

today, oxtail and assorted bits of meat and marrowbone slowly braised in a spicy wine-and-persimmon sauce for many hours, delicious gelatinous meaty goodness mixed with bulgur and veggies.

love both because they're easy, just take time

I've always wanted to try oxtail but I'm so afraid of botching up the recipe.

I'm so proud of myself because I used a grill for the first time all by myself! It was only chicken with smoky barbeque sauce slathered on it, but I'm happy that I was able to start the gas grill without exploding all over the place. And my chicken was juicy and lovely! I even got the criss-cross effect on the skin!

Had to reassure Hubby that he is still the grillmeister though.

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    I even got the criss-cross effect on the skin!
    I love getting the criss-cross effect.

Have a heavy-ass griddle, which I put across two flames on the stove. Did two large scotch sirloin steaks from the butcher on saturday night. No marinade, just rubbed with salt, so that you can really taste the flavour of the meat. Served with onions, mushrooms and garlic fried up together, and crushed new potatoes stirred with fresh chopped parsley and butter. And a proper criss-cross on the steaks.

Oh yeah

Fresh pork tenderloin (nearing "expiry" date so very cheap). Lightly browned, salted and peppered, covered with a little bit of soy- and worcestershire sauce and then cooked on a bed of thickly sliced onions and celery in a dutch oven (in the oven of course). Took it out when it was at about 65 degrees, let it rest under foil for a while, fried up the onions and celery with some tomatoes, zucchini, paprika and thinly sliced aubergine, made a sauce from the drippings, mascarpone and capers, and then omnomnommed it all with penne.

So frickin' delicious. I used to stay away from pork tenderloin before due to the cost and more importantly my inability to cook it without it going dry and chewy. Thermometers rock man. It was perfect. This has been a good day for food

Couple of dinner parties held in the last couple of weeks;

1. Uncle and Aunt of my other half.
    Turkey Escalopes, beaten and flattened, wrapped around Boursin (French herb cheese) and chopped fresh basil, to form a sort of roll. Pierce with cocktail sticks to hold together.
    Fried in light oil for 5-6 minutes till cooked through.
    Drizzle over Yellow pepper, onion, garlic and orange sauce (blended).
    Serve with fresh egg tagliatelle, and steamed tenderstem broccoli.

2. Two friends of mine last saturday
    Seared Lamb shanks slow cooked for 2.5 hours, in a casserole dish with white wine, cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped garlic, thyme sprigs, fresh mint, and onions.
    Serve with crushed new potatoes, forked through with fresh parsely and butter.
    Fall-off-the-bone tenderly delicious.

I am getting together the ingredients for a chocolate-mint bread I found in one of my baking cookbooks. It will replace the mint brownies I traditionally make for the Christmas reunion I do with some of my college friends every year. While that's rising I'll be trying to get some marbled peanut-butter brownies right for stocking stuffers, since the Secret Santa never got organized this year.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"