Thread: covid-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The administration's response has been dumb, and they waited too long to start travel bans and quarantines, and a more competent administration probably could have kept this contained for longer. It's a bit of luck that we managed to go as long as we did before an outbreak started. I don't know enough of the background on the testing kits issue to speak to it specifically, but it's unreasonable to expect local hospitals have the scale to test millions of people, and I don't believe Rand's claim that testing has only just started.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The administration's response has been dumb, and they waited too long to start travel bans and quarantines, and a more competent administration probably could have kept this contained for longer. It's a bit of luck that we managed to go as long as we did before an outbreak started. I don't know enough of the background on the testing kits issue to speak to it specifically, but it's unreasonable to expect local hospitals have the scale to test millions of people, and I don't believe Rand's claim that testing has only just started.
    Why don't you believe my claim that testing has only just started?

The facts are out there. The CDC were putting on their own website that 472 total tests had been done in the USA. NYC Mayor's Office has just Tweeted out they've done their "first day of testing".

Its reasonable to expect a country to be able to scale to test thousands of people rather than tens or no people. We're testing thousands a day at the peak of testing while at the same time your CDC figures were going up in the tens not thousands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Why don't you believe my claim that testing has only just started?
    Mostly because I asked for a source and you gave me an image showing that they stopped reporting the number of reported presumptive positive cases that have been tested as negative. Since it contained testing data from 2 days ago, it also contradicted your assertion that today was the first day of testing.

The facts are out there. The CDC were putting on their own website that 472 total tests had been done in the USA.
    472 tests that have been reported to the CDC and were presumed positive prior to the test. The CDC does not personally administer every test, and they stopped displaying the numbers because of the number of facilities that were only reporting negative tests to their state government or not at all. Reporting to the CDC is not required for every psychosomatic case.

Mostly because I asked for a source and you gave me an image showing that they stopped reporting the number of reported presumptive positive cases that have been tested as negative. Since it contained testing data from 2 days ago, it also contradicted your assertion that today was the first day of testing.

472 tests that have been reported to the CDC and were presumed positive prior to the test. The CDC does not personally administer every test, and they stopped displaying the numbers because of the number of facilities that were only reporting negative tests to their state government or not at all. Reporting to the CDC is not required for every psychosomatic case.
    No the image shows the stopped reporting the total number of tests which they had been doing, and the total deaths.

I also quoted an NYC Tweet showing they were now doing the "first day" of testing.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

No the image shows the stopped reporting the total number of tests which they had been doing, and the total deaths.

I also quoted an NYC Tweet showing they were now doing the "first day" of testing.
    The wording in that tweet is fairly ambiguous. I read it as it being the first day of testing for the New York City Public Health Laboratory.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    The wording in that tweet is fairly ambiguous. I read it as it being the first day of testing for the New York City Public Health Laboratory.
    Indeed that's what I was saying, NYC is just starting now. And the CDC before now were insisting on doing the tests themselves and had done 472 total. Its a pathetic amount, you should have done tens of thousands of tests by now.

Indeed that's what I was saying, NYC is just starting now. And the CDC before now were insisting on doing the tests themselves and had done 472 total. Its a pathetic amount, you should have done tens of thousands of tests by now.
    I think Wraith has already addressed this, but just in case - there are likely many labs in NYC, and labs in the surrounding areas that have performed testing for people living in NYC. The wording indicates to me that this was the first day of testing at a particular lab, not at *any* lab serving NYC.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 03-03-2020 at 10:23 PM.

I heard a blurb on NPR about the testing kits. I think they only started shipping them around the country this week, iirc. Before that, samples had to be shipped to Atlanta, tested by CDC directly. I guess I could look up the details, but don't have time/ interest rn. I would think at a minimum there should be a central facility in each big state/ major city, where testing is done, should have been set up at least a month ago...

Why is this a point of argument, anyway? I think we can all agree the US government fucked the dog on this, probably is still fucking the dog. It's what happens when you embrace incompetence and propaganda as a form of government, instead of, you know, knowledge, skill and integrity.

Is it about whether we should panic or not? Don't Panic. Should I be buying canned food? A morbid thought occurred to me - this disease has the potential to fix the boomer demographic problem we're facing.... I've got two 80-something parents I'm genuinely afraid for.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)