Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
Before we go too far off the tracks (about the future of conservatism), I want to ask Lewk if he thinks *social conservatives* would have focused on judicial appointments if they didn't already respect the Rule of Law and the DoJ?

Because what we have now is a weird mixture of alt-right conservatives that have bought into the "Deep State" conspiracy theory that believes the DoJ, FBI, and all career civil servants have been "contaminated" somehow, that even the Rule of Law can no longer be trusted.

Meanwhile, Trump derides his own appointees, sometimes throws them under the bus (UN Ambassador Haley the latest example) and feeds a mistrust in any agency that doesn't cater to his schizoid impulses, as expressed on Twitter.
Eh? Almost every conservative says they are for the rule of law (and most liberals too). If the law is being subverted due to political leanings and personal bias you would want your own appointees in there to fix it.

As far as Trump is concerned, yeah he throws his own people under the boss because he's an asshole with a short attention span. You won't find me defending everything Trump does. From his ridiculous tariffs to his stupid use of twitter he is FAR FAR from the ideal president. I would take Bush Sr, GWB, or Reagan over him in a heartbeat.