Page 43 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2804

Thread: What game are you playing now?

The boy doesn't seem to have a problem with it - I didn't notice anything wrong with the little bit I've played with his.

I think the display ones are overly used and abused.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I saw a display version of the 3DS and was distinctly underwhelmed. If I moved my head at all I kept seeing both images rather than 1 3D image.

Taking a trip back to SimCity 3000, a Will Wright masterpiece. Now if I could just figure out how to attract clean industry to Crazysexville...

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    LA Noire.

It's fascinating, like an old school adventure game almost, with smatterings of action.
    Definitely NOT GTA 1940's, lot more brain than brawn.

Really refreshing and enjoyable.
    Watching it is fun, but playing it I dislike immensely. My main complaints with it are as follows:

1. You have the illusion of choice. While you can choose how you do things, this isn't like other games where you can have an equally successful and fun experience with branching pathways. Here your choice is mainly how good or poorly your overall performance is going to be, like a multiple choice test.

2. They will force you to do things a certain way that they want, even if there is an equally successful alternative. For instance, I'm not too keen on the chasing suspects when they flee gameplay. So often I want to shoot them in the legs to get them to stop or at least slow down so I can catch them. Shooting a fleeing person in the legs however is apparently a horrendously fatal injury, almost as if you shot them point blank in the face. So unless the goal was to kill them, I've failed and have to retry it. Quite often though, the goal is that I'm supposed to chase them until they kill themselves, chase them until the game in some way says its okay for me to shoot and kill them, or keep the crosshairs on them long enough for a progress reticule to fill in which case my character shoots a warning shot in the air, and the perp surrenders (I can shoot in the air all I want before this, and nothing will happen, the reticule must fill!).

Then there is a mission with a guy on the roof of a building firing a browning rifle at a bus. Empty a clip into him from the street? Doesn't kill him. Empty a clip into him from a fountain a few dozen feet from the front of the building, and a few stories down? Doesn't kill him. Shoot him from directly below? Doesn't work either. Climb up the building, watch a cutscene where I tell him to drop the gun, and then he starts shooting at me, and I shoot him thrice? Yep that works.

3. Inconsistencies. I can accuse two different people of lying, and back it up with the same types of evidence, yet succeed in one instance and fail the other, not because they weren't lying, but because I chose the wrong evidence, even though to logical people in our reality, both would be equally damning. This also ties back into the illusion of choice.

4. The AI is sometimes brutally stupid. If I run through an intersection on foot, cars will brake/swerve in time to avoid hitting me. If I go through that intersection at running speed in a car, I'm going to get hit, regardless of if I honk, or the siren is on. Getting too close to a car you're tailing will alert them that you're following them, but accidently hitting another car head on in such a way as to launch yourself in the air onto another car, thus causing its engine to burst into flames, then driving over said flaming car isn't. Try passing cars to the right, and then turn your siren on, enjoy getting blockaded in by cars pulling over instead of getting out of the way logically. Cars you would've avoided hitting in an intersection will see you coming and stop so you t-bone them.

5. Same physics glitches as GTA 4. I've seen cars spawn inside one another like a twin headed snake, doors thrown off hinges at bullet speeds, etc.

6. Pointed out by other people online. You will never observe anyone in game telling the truth, or lying. You are observing playbacks of people acting like they are being truthful and acting like they are lying.
    Last edited by Illusions; 05-26-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    . . .

Just got Empire and Napoleon Total War double-pack.

Installed Empire and started it, it seems rather complicated.

Trying out Achron. Indie title with an interesting concept. An RTS that heavily features time-travel. You can do things like send an attack for scouting purposes, then once you get the information you need, zip back to the past and plan it better. Send units back in time to help themselves during fight the enemy. Change your build order based on what you learn of your opponent's plans. Etc. Multiplayer too, which could lead to some fun hijinks as multiple people keep screwing with the timeline to gain advantages. It's an indie title, so graphics are pretty crap, but the biggest bother for me right now is the pathfinding and the UI. Still, if they get things worked out, it could be a lot of fun.

ModNations Racer for the PSP. Load times aren't that bad for a UMD drive. Its pretty fun, looks good, very creative. Getting crazy hard at points.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Trying out Achron. Indie title with an interesting concept. An RTS that heavily features time-travel. You can do things like send an attack for scouting purposes, then once you get the information you need, zip back to the past and plan it better. Send units back in time to help themselves during fight the enemy. Change your build order based on what you learn of your opponent's plans. Etc. Multiplayer too, which could lead to some fun hijinks as multiple people keep screwing with the timeline to gain advantages. It's an indie title, so graphics are pretty crap, but the biggest bother for me right now is the pathfinding and the UI. Still, if they get things worked out, it could be a lot of fun.
    Sounds like a bit of a mindfuck if the enemy suddenly rolls back time.

That's part of why it appeals to me. It's possible you could be managing a bunch of units, only for them to all suddenly disappear because your opponent peeked into the future, didn't like what he saw, and destroyed them five minutes ago. Another tactic is to attack someone in the present to distract them from an attack you're launching in the past.

The PSN welcome back package is live. The network is going up and down worse than a $2 whore, but if you stick with it you can at least get your free games to start downloading. I ended up picking Little Big Planet and Wipeout HD for the PS3. Don't know what I want yet for the PSP.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

New Sims 3 EP!

It's entertaining, too.

Generations.

I have them all, bought this one yesterday when we got home but I didn't really play with it until this afternoon.

Ooh we haven't got that one yet. We collect them all too, The Sims 3 was a present for me from her but guess who's played it most? All the EPs have been presents for her now LOL

Is Generations much good? It looked intriguing a few weeks ago from the box art.

Yeah, gives a lot of new ways to interact - I'm looking forward to finding out how the new stuff for toddlers, children, and teens, too.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Yeah, gives a lot of new ways to interact - I'm looking forward to finding out how the new stuff for toddlers, children, and teens, too.
    So they can die in new and interesting ways?

Have been playing Hunted: The Demon's Forge a bit. Took a while for me to realize why the gameplay felt so familiar. It's probably described best as Gears of War in a Fantasy setting. Moderately interesting, a few WTFs though, the most annoying ones are the one-way-streets which sometimes make completion of a sidequest impossible because the quest descriptions are so cryptic that you don't know whether to proceed or look some more for a hidden switch or something.
    And it's a bit too dark at times, yes, not being able to see 2 feet in a dark tomb is realistic. Not being able to carry a torch or something isn't.

And I'm not impressed by the new fighting system of The Witcher 2. Instead of parrying you now need to dodge by rolling. Which can pose a bit of a problem in tight corners.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    And I'm not impressed by the new fighting system of The Witcher 2. Instead of parrying you now need to dodge by rolling. Which can pose a bit of a problem in tight corners.
    Is this game worth the purchase? I was thinking about it for a bit; heard good things about it. Only haven't bought it yet due to a lack of time. I still haven't started Dragon Age 2. Or even finished 1.

I can only parrot what I've read in reviews, but the game is apparently awesome, beautiful, and taxing on systems that can't handle it.

Plus the retail packaging comes with enough stuff to make most EA limited editions look like crap.

The main E3 expo starts tomorrow, so I'm going to leave these links right here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/E3
    http://e3feed.com/

Getting a million points on Duke Nukem's Balls of Steel was a bitch, but so far it was the most entertaining part of the game.

Picked up a 3DS Sunday. I seem to be having a much easier time finding my 3D sweetspot than Brandy is, but Brandy would be damn near blind without her glasses, so I guess your milage does vary.

The pokemon game is interesting, nice 3D effect, the retro bike game is annoying. I haven't got to start on Zelda yet, the main reason I bought the damn system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Getting a million points on Duke Nukem's Balls of Steel was a bitch, but so far it was the most entertaining part of the game.
    Worth getting? I'm kinda curious to see what ...was it 14 years? of development produces.

Excitebike was pretty dumb on my old Nintendo, too.

They should release a 3d version of the one that was skateboards and surfing (I sucked at it).

Worth getting? I'm kinda curious to see what ...was it 14 years? of development produces.
    The reviews and gameplay I have seen do not bode well.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Fable III

I enjoy this light-hearted series.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I'm not impressed with it so far. But to be honest, this is the first Duke I've ever played, and I'm not very far into it.

The monsters act like they are stupid, but the NPCs act even dumber. Like they are statues that repeat the same couple of lines, no matter what you do. A lot of what I've seen so far feels like the game was treated like a tech demo. Hey, lets make the user sign an autograph book with his mouse! Then make him draw on a whiteboard in the same way! And of course those attempts looks like shit. There was a part where I was supposed to play basketball, but it felt like I was throwing a rock around. And there seems to be alot of "repeatedly press X for action to happen" type of momentum killers in the beginning of the game.

The levels look very well done, but the graphics aren't that impressive, especially since I remember leaks and behind the scene model demos with bouncy tits and roaming eyes that I'm not seeing anywhere in the game.

It does have a lot of 1 liner adult humor, and its offensive; which is a nice break away from the current trend of games.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-21-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Team Fortress 2 is free this week. They are doing this slightly different than previous free weekends, so its pretty much expected that the game will go free to play after this.

I don't expect to play it much, but I downloaded to see if all my TF2 items I've acquired from previous Steam promotions have been waiting for me.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-22-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Alice: Madness returns.

Bit of a so-so. I like the atmosphere, the dialogue and the art in general. I don't like the camera, the locking system and it's obviously a console game with a PC port. First thing I did: Got rid of the 30FPS limiter and the mouse acceleration. The latter made the mouse actually usable.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Got that for Amanda, she's currently playing American McGee's Alice first which came free with it. Quite impressed with how they've upscaled the graphics since its so old.