Thread: What's messing with your Groove?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As far as sexual orientation, since we have a very small gay population in BFE, it's kind of hard not to notice.

Slight correction. You perceive it as a small population, but it's probably the same percentage in ALL groups. Just stands out more in smaller groups (small towns) when they do come out, because they're reluctant to come out when that can mean being bullied or shunned by their town's elders. It's also harder to come out as gay when there are fewer gays to actually go on dates with, dances or proms. By default they have fewer choices of mates in small towns.

Sure, I know ranchers value the breeder just as much as the spawn. Same reason guernseys aren't allowed to breed but they're kept lactating anyway, by milking them constantly----their milk is more valuable to humans than the baby cows they're meant to be nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    As far as sexual orientation, since we have a very small gay population in BFE, it's kind of hard not to notice.

Slight correction. You perceive it as a small population, but it's probably the same percentage in ALL groups. Just stands out more in smaller groups (small towns) when they do come out, because they're reluctant to come out when that can mean being bullied or shunned by their town's elders. It's also harder to come out as gay when there are fewer gays to actually go on dates with, dances or proms. By default they have fewer choices of mates in small towns.
    Having sat here for a few minutes thinking, I think we have 4 gay/lesbian couples and maybe 3 or 4 others who are not in a relationship. We also have about 15 bi-sexual people in town. NO one bullies or shuns them. NO one treats them any different than anyone else in town. (The only thing I can think of that's different is, 1 of the gay men and I play a game in the grocery store. We chase each other around with carts, all the while trying to get our groceries. It's hilarious, but it's also NOT a game I play with anyone else! Derek just happens to have an inner child in him that brings mine out! ) While it's true they have slimmer dating choices here, I would have to think it's apparent they want to be here, since they are all well old enough to decide where they want to live. They aren't blatant about their sexuality, but they don't hide it either!

Sure, I know ranchers value the breeder just as much as the spawn. Same reason guernseys aren't allowed to breed but they're kept lactating anyway, by milking them constantly----their milk is more valuable to humans than the baby cows they're meant to be nursing.
    I realize it's kind of hard to understand being so close to bankruptcy, but many small ranchers live that way every year. The loss of the breeder and/or the spawn could mean the difference in making the bank payment or not being able to make it. Sure, I realize almost everything can be genetically altered, or forced (as in the case of the milk producers) to achieve the results preferred, I just think some things should be pretty much left alone.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!