Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138
Results 4,111 to 4,139 of 4139

Thread: The pictures thread

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I can think of lots of recreation that can be done in that area.
    People mostly just go around in circles
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Tonight's project, turning dollar a foot door trim into book display shelving

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I'm pretty sure that my kids are posing for an REI ad.

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my kids are posing for an REI ad.

I'm sitting here wondering how you got your daughter to go hiking wearing a mask.

Also maybe why.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I'm sitting here wondering how you got your daughter to go hiking wearing a mask.

Also maybe why.
    How and why are related. We have set the norm that any time she is out of the house she should wear a mask. This is much more straightforward and consistent for a kindergartner than a complex series of rules about circumstances where masks are not strictly required. She's going to be wearing a mask 8 hours a day in school; setting consistent expectations at home helps this transition.

And the exact how is fairly standard parenting: mild bribery (letting her choose mask designs), consistent messaging, praise for following directions, leading by example, and a clear explanation of how wearing a mask helps other people stay well. She's been very compliant for months; it's just another thing we do when we leave the house.

My kid who just turned 2 is another story entirely; we're just introducing it now and it'll take some time.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Here lies
    the stonemason
    S. P. Andersson
    Born 4/25, 1834
    Killed... by this... rock... 6/22 1880
    "Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come."
    His friends raised this headstone

We had a lovely end to summer, but it feels like Autumn came and went very quickly. Kinda want a do-over

A train driver in the Netherlands has had a lucky escape thanks to a fortuitously placed art installation.

A metro train in Spijkenisse, near the city of Rotterdam, crashed through a barrier at the end of the tracks shortly before midnight on Sunday.

But rather than plummeting 10m (32ft) into the water below, the train was left suspended dramatically in the air.

It ended up being delicately balanced on the large sculpture of a whale's tail at the De Akkers metro station.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Wait how was he killed by that rock.
    Wasn't wearing a mask... smh

But seriously, I'm boarding a plane soon in Trump country and will need to fight the urge to murder the unmasked.

^ incredible
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Cool picture!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Ah, a space ship.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

There are only so many polite words that come to mind when one spots a ship apparently hovering above the ocean during a stroll along the English coastline.

David Morris, who captured the extraordinary sight on camera, declared himself “stunned” when he noticed a giant tanker floating above the water as he looked out to sea from a hamlet near Falmouth in Cornwall.

The effect is an example of an optical illusion known as a superior mirage. Such illusions are reasonably common in the Arctic but can also happen in UK winters when the atmospheric conditions are right, though they are very rare.

The illusion is caused by a meteorological phenomenon called a temperature inversion. Normally, the air temperature drops with increasing altitude, making mountaintops colder than the foothills. But in a temperature inversion, warm air sits on top of a band of colder air, playing havoc with our visual perception. The inversion in Cornwall was caused by chilly air lying over the relatively cold sea with warmer air above.

Things were better when coaches weren't doing anal

On a rainy, gloomy Mother's Day, a beautiful ray of light burst into our lives. This is our son, Kiran

He brings light to the darkest places, and we're well chuffed to have him here with us.

Both baby and mum are well, albeit very tired. Feels weird being back in this position again after more than three years, but kinda cool getting to do it over again with much more experience. Our daughter is incredibly excited about being a big sis (and none of her friends have little brothers so she's expecting to get a massive status boost at daycare). She's already made a number of insightful observations about newborns vis a vis ticklishness, response to hair stroking and lullabies, skin quality, etc. At bedtime, she said she's ready to sleep on her own now that lil bro is here. She also said she'd have five kids (she already has two). I asked her how the hell she was gonna manage five kids and she said she'd use robot arms, which, quite frankly, is preposterous.

My mum's coming up tomorrow and we'll hopefully get to spend some quality time together. I stole a ton of prepackaged cheese-slices from the maternity ward because they were being dicks, and we celebrated with good food + ube ice-cream when we got home:

Congratulations Minx! What a happy thing
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Beautiful baby! Congratulations!

Congratulations on stealing the pre-sliced cheese. And the new Gemini of course.
    Congratulations America

Congratulations! So sweet!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Congrats on making the world more aimless.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Thanks folks, life is much more exciting now

this is my wood:

It's probably not very good—and it might not survive—but it's all mine, from my own back yard. Had to stack it in a hurry bc there's rain coming, and I had nothing better to sticker it with.

Does the wood serve a purpose or just symbolic of your manliness?

Just saw something i can't unsee

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Does the wood serve a purpose or just symbolic of your manliness?
    I need to dry it before i can make stuff with it