Thread: teevee sucks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've been watching Downton Abbey - mid-way into season 3 now. You may know this show was hugely popular in the US, via Public TV no less, so I was expecting a lot. And it's not bad, but to my surprise, not great either. Some of the plots are so contrived and the villains are paper thin with no apparent motivation. Now that Season 2 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel dropped (love the show!), the Downton Binge is going on pause.

Also, I binged most of Wild Wild Country, and, well, what the fuck? I'm surprised I don't have any childhood memories of this going on back in the early 80s. I remember Jonestown for sure, but not the crazy maroon biological-warring sex cult commune out in Oregon. Apparently Rajneeshee costume parties are a thing since the docuseries came out, people dressing in shades of red and one lucky guest comes as the Bhagwan...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I've been watching Downton Abbey - mid-way into season 3 now. You may know this show was hugely popular in the US, via Public TV no less, so I was expecting a lot. And it's not bad, but to my surprise, not great either. Some of the plots are so contrived and the villains are paper thin with no apparent motivation. Now that Season 2 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel dropped (love the show!), the Downton Binge is going on pause.

Also, I binged most of Wild Wild Country, and, well, what the fuck? I'm surprised I don't have any childhood memories of this going on back in the early 80s. I remember Jonestown for sure, but not the crazy maroon biological-warring sex cult commune out in Oregon. Apparently Rajneeshee costume parties are a thing since the docuseries came out, people dressing in shades of red and one lucky guest comes as the Bhagwan...
    The fun in Downton Abbey is just the time period, I think. There are some really delightful moments in it, but it's pretty much just soap opera. Also, it is filmed beautifully, so you get the people that just appreciate pretty.

For any fan of the Americans:
    Spoiler:
    We were at the grocery store today, and "With or Without You" was playing on their canned music, and the girlchild and I were both instantly choking back tears. U2 is not supposed to invoke emotions, damn it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    The fun in Downton Abbey is just the time period, I think. There are some really delightful moments in it, but it's pretty much just soap opera. Also, it is filmed beautifully, so you get the people that just appreciate pretty.

For any fan of the Americans:
    Spoiler:
    We were at the grocery store today, and "With or Without You" was playing on their canned music, and the girlchild and I were both instantly choking back tears. U2 is not supposed to invoke emotions, damn it.
    Downton Abbey started off nice, then became repetitive and a lot less worthwhile. The Mrs Crawley character got too annoying as the wetting stone she was for the dowager's wit turned into a stand in for progress. The whole story about the couple of servants that got married. That should have put to rest seasons before the end of the show.

Mrs Maisel is worth it much more than the later seasons of DA.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Downton Abbey started off nice, then became repetitive and a lot less worthwhile. The Mrs Crawley character got too annoying as the wetting stone she was for the dowager's wit turned into a stand in for progress. The whole story about the couple of servants that got married. That should have put to rest seasons before the end of the show.

Mrs Maisel is worth it much more than the later seasons of DA.
    In season1 and much of 2, Mrs Crawley was interesting. Then by season 3 she was just as insufferably paper thin as the servant villains. And YES, it's just a soap opera with tropes like the war wounded cripple who suddenly can walk and the guy that's dying so slow he's got time to come home and get married to the girl who never loved him... blah blah blah. But man oh man Lilo's right, there are some shots of that estate that are magnificent. Early morning sunshine with the mist not quite burned off, just beautiful.

EDIT: well now, I just saw the teaser trailer for the Downton Abbey motion picture!
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 12-15-2018 at 03:52 AM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Anyone see that Netflix is airing a new series called Io? So I just watched the trailer and, you know, Earth is becoming toxic and it was predicted by scientists but nobody did anything about it until it was too late (yeah, okay, just like Climate Change), so, everyone leaves for a less toxic alternative. Alright, fair enough, its a plot, I'm listening.

But guess where humanity decides to go : Jupiter's airless, waterless, super-irradiated, hyper-volcanic, sulfurous nightmare Io. WTF? I'm sorry, I can buy that Earth is dying. I can buy that humanity, or a least a fortunate slice of humanity, manages to leave Earth for a more hospitable home. But NO, I can't accept Io is that home. Sorry, that's just stupid. There are SOOOOO many better alternatives in the solar system (the best of which is horrible compared to Earth, even with a toxic atmosphere, btw), so who was the scientist they consulted on this one??? Jeez.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Anyone see that Netflix is airing a new series called Io? So I just watched the trailer and, you know, Earth is becoming toxic and it was predicted by scientists but nobody did anything about it until it was too late (yeah, okay, just like Climate Change), so, everyone leaves for a less toxic alternative. Alright, fair enough, its a plot, I'm listening.

But guess where humanity decides to go : Jupiter's airless, waterless, super-irradiated, hyper-volcanic, sulfurous nightmare Io. WTF? I'm sorry, I can buy that Earth is dying. I can buy that humanity, or a least a fortunate slice of humanity, manages to leave Earth for a more hospitable home. But NO, I can't accept Io is that home. Sorry, that's just stupid. There are SOOOOO many better alternatives in the solar system (the best of which is horrible compared to Earth, even with a toxic atmosphere, btw), so who was the scientist they consulted on this one??? Jeez.
    I watched a bit of it (not a series, a 'movie'). It's nothing special; they make some vague argument that they're setting up near IO (not on it) to harvest energy but the details are pretty vague. But they definitely needed some help with the science - early on, a character says that plants on Earth are close to being able to use ammonia as an oxygen source.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)