Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Geopolitical impact of Brexit

Tea is not as crazy as it sounds, though I doubt it's going to save the economy.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    UKIP are incompetent and purposeless. Labour has disappeared up it's own arse, on a mission to knife everything it finds. There is no meaningful national opposition. Of course you stomping ahead in the polls, but this is not healthy for the country.
    Or maybe it is not so bad. A comfortable majority tends to drive out the crazies from the levers of power.
    Congratulations America

It's also a rally around the flag effect. All those evil Europeans are making Brits feel bad. Brits have to rally around the government. See what happened in Greece (and support for Syriza) after the bailout negotiations.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Man, if I had access to the tea and beef they can readily get in Japan I wouldn't want to import garbage from the UK. Maybe they need it for McDonald's.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Tea is not as crazy as it sounds, though I doubt it's going to save the economy.
    It isn't?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Maybe you guys should've started thinking on how to go about it before you did this stupid vote. Only morons vote for something where they have no idea how to implement what they're voting for.
    We did. There are lots of different solutions available, now though one needs to be agreed and implemented. That's politics for you, the government has three and a half years left of a five year term and will be judged accordingly at the end of its term. The beauty of Brexit is that if we're not happy with the government's job at the end of that we can kick them out and elect a new one. Who was I to vote out in the EU to abolish CAP?
    Indeed and of course being serious nobody is really suggesting it is. Media silly stories going through a Chinese whisper effect of being more incredulous through each retelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    We did.
    Your own government clearly stated that no one had given any thought as to what to actually do in case of a positive vote for the Brexit. Otherwise you'd have had a fixed date for invoking Article 50 right from the bat.

So, no you didn't.

Indeed and of course being serious nobody is really suggesting it is. Media silly stories going through a Chinese whisper effect of being more incredulous through each retelling.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...arly-3-billion

Is this official enough for you?

Yeah, "nobody serious" but your own government.

It isn't?
    Well, they obviously don't grow it, but processing the raw material is part of the production process. There are blends specific to the UK that may have international appeal. Though it seems to me it's not going to save the British economy.
    Congratulations America

Your own government clearly stated that no one had given any thought as to what to actually do in case of a positive vote for the Brexit. Otherwise you'd have had a fixed date for invoking Article 50 right from the bat.

So, no you didn't.
    My own government clearly stated that it was backing Remain, the Leave side were not the government. The then PM was suggesting that Article 50 should be invoked the day after a Leave vote but it was the Leavers in Vote Leave (the official Leave campaign) who suggested that Article 50 should be delayed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...arly-3-billion

Is this official enough for you?

Yeah, "nobody serious" but your own government.
    Where in that link does it suggest that trade is going to "save the economy".
    Well, they obviously don't grow it, but processing the raw material is part of the production process. There are blends specific to the UK that may have international appeal. Though it seems to me it's not going to save the British economy.
    Which nobody is suggesting it will.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

That still means that you morons only researched one side of the consequences. Which is obviously an idiotic thing to do.

I mean, you voted for something no one had any idea of what the ramifications were or how to actually implement it.

That may work for science projects but not for whole countries.

No you're being a moron. Of course consequences on all sides were not just researched but fully debated for years and during the referendum too. So you're attacking straw men.

Of course I have an idea what the ramifications are and how it can be implemented. What we don't have is psychic powers but that's the same in every election and there were unknowns and risks to the other side of the debate too.

Yeeeeees. And because they "were researched and debated for years", that's totally why we're not floundering around right now.

Also totally not the cause for this "tea and biscuits" master plan.

You're right we're not floundering around right now.

You've not linked to a "tea and biscuits" master plan, you've linked to a plan. One of many plans.

If I were a Brexiteer, I'd be really nervous about all those assurances that a second referendum isn't going to happen. If May was all that certain about there not being any chance of a second referendum then why she keeps bringing it up as if there was a debate about a second referendum?
    Congratulations America

You're right we're not floundering around right now.

You've not linked to a "tea and biscuits" master plan, you've linked to a plan. One of many plans.
    And how many of those "many plans" did exist before the Brexit referendum?

If I were a Brexiteer, I'd be really nervous about all those assurances that a second referendum isn't going to happen. If May was all that certain about there not being any chance of a second referendum then why she keeps bringing it up as if there was a debate about a second referendum?
    Because some Remoaners are suggesting there should be one (eg Ashdown, Clegg) and she's trying to suggest that idea is a non-starter.
    And how many of those "many plans" did exist before the Brexit referendum?
    Lots.

Depends upon how specific you mean but in general there are always plans of one form or another by these sort of government departments to try and boost exports. Furthermore in general boosting trade outside the EU was a major plank of the Brexit campaign. In 2014 Leadsom's predecessor as DEFRA cabinet secretary gave a very cringeworthy speech to Conference about amongst other things selling pork to China.

I'm not joking, I sat through this speech and it was the one I really did not enjoy:

Truss FYI was a Remain campaigner in the Referendum.

I note that you're unable to provide specifics besides repeatedly stating that there were "lots" of plans.

And by "plan", by the way, I'm talking about something more concrete than anybody can come up with even after two pints of beer.

You're not clear on your meaning but I provided a video to a specific example getting mocked in the past

Why do Brexiteers think they need to be outside the EU to improve British trade with the rest of the world? The only way that makes sense is if you are not thinking of British interests but of the interests of others. Though obviously not of the EU.

Germany has no problems selling its products to the four corners of the planet despite them being in the EU.
    Congratulations America

You're not clear on your meaning but I provided a video to a specific example getting mocked in the past
    I rarely watch videos for something like that. I can read and understand information about a ten-fold faster than any such video can provide and thus consider them largely a waste of time.

Give me something to read and I'm game. Because with a text I can also easily point out inconsistencies or redundancies. With a video? "Oh look, she said something at 3:30 and then at 4:56!" gets tiring very fast.

I also don't watch talkshows as they're usually incredibly boring.

Why do Brexiteers think they need to be outside the EU to improve British trade with the rest of the world? The only way that makes sense is if you are not thinking of British interests but of the interests of others. Though obviously not of the EU.

Germany has no problems selling its products to the four corners of the planet despite them being in the EU.
    You don't need to be, but you do need to be outside the EU to sign a free trade deal. Furthermore if we are outside we can sign a deal that suits our interests, eg it is rather easier to sign a deal exporting manufactured German goods, tougher to sign deals on services like banking but most of our financial services exports already go to outside the EU even without any deals. With the possibility of making these deals a priority for our negotiators (and not needing lowest common denominator of 28* competing voices) then that is possible.

* Though as Wallonia has shown it's not even just 28 FFS.
    I rarely watch videos for something like that. I can read and understand information about a ten-fold faster than any such video can provide and thus consider them largely a waste of time.

Give me something to read and I'm game. Because with a text I can also easily point out inconsistencies or redundancies. With a video? "Oh look, she said something at 3:30 and then at 4:56!" gets tiring very fast.

I also don't watch talkshows as they're usually incredibly boring.
    The video was less than a minute long but nevermind. Here's the transcript, be warned it is very disjointed and was a really terrible speech: http://press.conservatives.com/post/...rty-conference

Yes, you would. But what is the logic of wanting to negotiate trade agreements with countries that you already have trade agreements with as EU member? That in the case of Canada you will actually be removing yourself from on of the most comprehensive trade deals that country has ever struck for the pleasure of giving the negotiations a once over? The Walloon vote will not stop CETA, for the simple reason that the core of it is not a shared competence.

By the way, you realise that in 2 years time all your precious opt-out have gone for good?
    Congratulations America

The video was less than a minute long but nevermind. Here's the transcript, be warned it is very disjointed and was a really terrible speech: http://press.conservatives.com/post/...rty-conference
    That's not a plan. That falls exactly under the heading of something anyone can come up with after two pints of beer.

Dude. Plan. Here's an analogy of what you're currently offering:

"Well, we need houses so we'll build them. They'll even have got roofs!"

What I'm asking for:

"Okay, the plan asks for the following amount of money, architects have to consider these specific rules for the layout, each house should not cost more than this. Architects' plans are collected by this agency. For this project, we also need the following ground area, the provision thereof falls under the purview of that agency. The provision of materials and workforce is done by ... Each and every involved division has to hand in a summary of their results by latest of this date."

And so on and so forth. Specifics, my dear. A 50 second disjointed rambling with something that could be written on a post-it note is not a plan.

The civil service has the details that you're looking for behind each of those speeches that summarises then (Truss didn't just unilaterally book a flight to Beijing with a vague intention of talking about pork). Look into that if you can be arsed, I can't.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7373076.html

This counts as an example of the geopolitical impact of Brexit methinks.
    Congratulations America

Yes, you would. But what is the logic of wanting to negotiate trade agreements with countries that you already have trade agreements with as EU member? That in the case of Canada you will actually be removing yourself from on of the most comprehensive trade deals that country has ever struck for the pleasure of giving the negotiations a once over? The Walloon vote will not stop CETA, for the simple reason that the core of it is not a shared competence.

By the way, you realise that in 2 years time all your precious opt-out have gone for good?
    Part of the two year negotiation period will entail not just ensuring we get a deal with the EU itself but ensuring we negotiate continuity with the trade agreements we already have. Should be quite simple relatively to sign deals that mirror what is already in force to ensure continuity. Same with Canada, unless we or Canada decide to do a do-over we can implement the agreement.

As for the opt-outs they're not precious, they're a dreadful fudge. Why would I care if they're gone or not once they're moot.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7373076.html

This counts as an example of the geopolitical impact of Brexit methinks.
    I think it also counts as an example of the geopolitical impact of Bremain too. When Cameron proposed serious and fundamentlal reform of the EU's problems how much more of a practical response did he get?

The civil service has the details that you're looking for behind each of those speeches that summarises then (Truss didn't just unilaterally book a flight to Beijing with a vague intention of talking about pork). Look into that if you can be arsed, I can't.
    Naw, it's your argument, you substantiate it. Again this cheap cop-out: "I made this argument but don't actually offer real evidence! Look it up yourself!"

I already have substantiated it. If you want to trawl through civil service records to find the minutiae then more power to you.

I think it also counts as an example of the geopolitical impact of Bremain too. When Cameron proposed serious and fundamentlal reform of the EU's problems how much more of a practical response did he get?
    In a union where the consistent problem with labour is that it moves freely TOO LITTLE, a proposal for serious and fundamental reform can not contain limits on the freedom of movement of people (who as labourers move too little as things are). All other problems the UK had with migration were homespun; other countries have no similar problems with migrants from other member states. To the contrary; the EGH has ruled that there is no independent right to move to another member state if you have not intentions to work in that other member state. That if you do so, he recieving member state has the right to deny you access to its welfare system.

The problem the UK has with immigration is not that its EU migrants cost the country too much, because they actually are beneficial to the UK economy, but that English and Welsh people don't like foreigners.
    Congratulations America