Thread: Trump Pardons Scooter Libby

Default Trump Pardons Scooter Libby

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/60220...chief-of-staff

I'm betting John Bolton had something to do with this. And it's pretty rich how Trump rails about "leakers" but then pardons a convicted leaker.
    What do you think?

I think Libby was the designated fall guy for something that originated above him and hence don't really care.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/60220...chief-of-staff

I'm betting John Bolton had something to do with this. And it's pretty rich how Trump rails about "leakers" but then pardons a convicted leaker.
    What do you think?
    Oh he leaked the info on Plame? That's not how I remember it.

I recall a thread from years ago about Libby and Plame that you actively posted in, Fuzzy. You cared then. What's changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Oh he leaked the info on Plame? That's not how I remember it.
    Huh? Bolton thought Bush should have pardoned Libby, and he's recently become one of Trump's advisers. I don't think the timing of this pardon is coincidental, even though it came out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Huh? Bolton thought Bush should have pardoned Libby, and he's recently become one of Trump's advisers. I don't think the timing of this pardon is coincidental, even though it came out of the blue.
    I'm talking about the fact you are claiming that Libby outed Plame. And that didn't happen.

"Libby, known as "Scooter," was convicted of perjury and obstruction of justice in 2007 in connection with the leak of a CIA officer's identity."

Bush didn't pardon Libby, even though he could have. He commuted his sentence instead- to show respect for the "rule of law" and its processes, including Special Counsel authorities.

I haven't been a fan of Presidential pardons since Ford pardoned Nixon. It's an Executive power that can be used and abused for political purposes, and I think the Scooter Libby pardon is just the latest example that Trump will use the office for political expediency. Even though he campaigned against presidential overreach (when Obama was in office), or draining the DC swamp, and all that.

A signal to the many potential witnesses against Trump.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I think Libby was the designated fall guy for something that originated above him and hence don't really care.
    I do wonder why now. Does Trump feel a kinship with someone "similarly mistreated" (I doubt it; he has no sense of empathy)? Is he appealing to Cheney? Not quite sure why.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A signal to the many potential witnesses against Trump.
    Either Trump is a far-thinking schemer or a dumb buffoon. We have to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Either Trump is a far-thinking schemer or a dumb buffoon. We have to choose.
    You don't have to be a far-thinking schemer to think that pardoning people--such as Joe Arpaio previously--might reassure others you would pardon them as well.

I think it sends a message coupled with the actions taken against McCabe that justice is what happens when your opponents get prosecuted and your allies get protected. Stand with me carrot and stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I do wonder why now. Does Trump feel a kinship with someone "similarly mistreated" (I doubt it; he has no sense of empathy)? Is he appealing to Cheney? Not quite sure why.
    Trump does a lot of things for petty reasons. One article I read supposed that Trump is sticking to the Bush family again.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I think it sends a message coupled with the actions taken against McCabe that justice is what happens when your opponents get prosecuted and your allies get protected. Stand with me carrot and stick.
    If you stand firm with Trump against the pressure from a special prosecutor gone mad, you will be protected, even if you lie and get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Trump does a lot of things for petty reasons. One article I read supposed that Trump is sticking to the Bush family again.
    I could buy that. But you'd think he'd gloat over it more.
    Hope is the denial of reality