Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Steam

Shift+tab stays within the game. Do it once, and I think it stays gone.

I think I'll send you a friend request too now, just to increase your frustration at the system.

the shift tab message should go away on its own after a second if you keep your mouse away from it. otherwise shift-tab and shift-tab again to get past it.

If you're level 4 it means you're not getting any cards for the voting process, levels are one way for steam to see active users over non-active users, or even bogus accounts. bogus accounts were a big problem during one of the Christmas sales, people were buying steam key indie bundles for a penny and using those accounts to gain coal and turn that into games and coupons (which were limited in quantity).

If you view your profile in steam, there is a link there that says badges, from there you can see what badges, and its associated XP, you are currently working on. If you're level 4 now you should be able to complete the community member badge to hit level 5 and get free trading cards. No point to those for someone like yourself, but you can sell them on the market for about a quarter each.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/OminousGamer/
    I'm level 20, and from that page you can see some of the stuff you get on the way to that level. Main way to gain levels is to collect cards and craft those into badges. The higher the level the slightly better odds of getting better stuff when you craft, rare wallpapers, coupons, emoticons, foil cards, etc. At level 20 I've got I think 20 extra friend slots, a rare background, 2 showcase slots (serious people, I need to trade that stuff away).

There doesn't seem to be any physical or game related rewards yet, but when Valve did the Potato sale, those who finished that got the complete valve pack for free, so I'm at the very least going to get to a level 5 summer badge in case Valve gives out another reward. To get a level 5 badge means collecting 50 trading cards, either by a) getting a card for every $10 spent, b) randomly getting cards from crafting other card badges, buying them from the market, and/or voting every 8 hours.

Currently I'm at level 4 for the summer badge, mainly from sniping the cards from the market for under a nickel each from people who don't give a fuck.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

also, if you don't ever plan to use shift-tab to access information in the steam overlay, achievement tracking, guides, forums, battery meter, etc. you can disable the whole thing in the settings.

Steam > Settings > In-Game >uncheck "enable steam community in-game"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I was glad to see FFVII out on steam. I won't buy it but Steam could use some more of the classic console games on PC. I'd love to play FFIX without the atrocious load times that I had with the console version.

Also - wow these sales are great. I probably won't have any desire to buy a full priced game until Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Steam keeps popping up a message that someone has sent a Friend Request but I can't see any way to accept it . If I click on Friends it just shows a list of friends (currently 1, Khen) and that's it.
    Yeh that was me, for when I was going to send Footy Manager.

My user name is asfhasdkfn

Yes I got so fed up with any and all meaningful user names being taken when I set up my steam account I ended up punching the keyboard several times. The result is my permanent user name

Thanks accepted you both, still not sure how to reach that invite screen still but this time when I clicked on the pop-up saying you added me it went to the right page (last time it wasn't doing that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Fallout New Vegas is $2.50 for the next 8 hours. Thats a no brainer.

So what's the point of these foil cards? I get the rest of them, are foils only special because they're 'foil', or do they do something?

nothing worthwhile yet. Foils allow you to double your steam level, at 5-6 times the cost, and have allowed people hit levels over 110. The higher the level the "better" the drops when crafting, but again those so far seem limited to emoticons, backgrounds, and other cards.

I've got 4 foils so far, holding on to them till after the sale so the market can stabilize, and I can sell them for a few bucks each.

During the sale I picked up the Commandos series for a few bucks - I liked those games when I was younger, thought it would be fun. Had some time to play, so I installed behind enemy lines & beyond the call of duty... And they both don't work. Black screen, at first with sound, and then the program is not responding. Why put a game out on Steam when it's not working? At least give a warning it's not compatible. I figured it would be a patched version that would, you know, work. Very annoyed

Edit: One user-created patch and simply removing all video files made the game playable, but still for selling broken games
    Last edited by Flixy; 07-25-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Steam is only a distribution platform, sorry to say. The alternative would be a vetting process.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Steam does pay attention to games that are totally broken. Within the past couple of months they delisted War Z for not including components that were advertised and Darkspore because the DRM servers broke. And there are several games with rather bold warnings about not being fully compatible with certain OSes. That being said there are a bunch of threads in the steam community on getting the older commando games working, so there do appear to be problems.

That's one nice thing about GOG, fully tweaked/compatible games.

Crusader Kings II and all DLC are 75% off on Steam for a 2 day sale. I'd highly recommend for any EU-style Grand Strategy fans.

The Old Gods expansion wasn't on sale during the summer sale so just snapped it up
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Thx, I tried it out a while ago and liked it, but missed the summer sale, so I got it now
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

Steam Family Sharing allows close friends and family members to play one another's games while earning their own Steam achievements and saving their own game progress to the Steam cloud. It's all enabled by authorizing a shared computer.

Anyone interested in pooling collections?

Upcoming Steam announcements
    http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

I'm going to guess one of the announcements will be game sharing beta, another SteamBox. No idea what the 3rd one could be about (besides HL3).

5 minutes till first announcement, and i'm going to shift guesses a bit. the game sharing beta wouldn't be big enough for an announcement like this so...

steambox
    steam OS (for the steam box)
    Source2?

wow, even got the fucking name right. first announcement is for SteamOS.

For the inevitable SteamBox

Doubt it'll be called that, so similar to Xbox.

For anyone with Skyrim, restart Steam and then download/launch/update Skyrim. People are reporting getting Dawnguard for free. No idea if its a bug, but if it is, doesn't hurt to try and use it to get it tied to your account.

For anyone with Skyrim, restart Steam and then download/launch/update Skyrim. People are reporting getting Dawnguard for free. No idea if its a bug, but if it is, doesn't hurt to try and use it to get it tied to your account.
    You're not sucking me back into this.
    . . .

Next announcement was for Steam Hardware. Not an individual machine, but a collection of approved hardware of varying powers and pricetags that 3rd parties will be selling as complete (and open/upgradeable) machines.

They are doing a beta, where 270 random users that complete a few small tasks will get a free high powered box. but fuck you guys expecting me to a post a link, Im not going to make it easy for ya'll to join and reduce my chances of winning.

anyone who is already on my friends list can expect a friend invite from my son

damn you

but thats a rather unique design for a controller. it seems so generic, like the designs you see companies use when they don't want to show an official controller, but the announcement uses words I haven't seen before, so maybe its special.

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

For anyone that doesn't use IE, this extention is amazing. It highlights what games you already own, compares prices to other sites that sell Steam keys, provides more information on the individual store pages (like widescreen and user scores), even calculates how much you've spent on Steam.

If anyone has a friend they want to play a mean joke on, Bad Rats is on sale for 50 cents.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/34900/

easily the worst game on steam, so bad that it was considered the coal during valves last winter contest.

Steam has a Halloween Sale on, 75% off on quite a lot of titles it seems. Nothing's taken my fancy but it may be worth checking it out.

Who is it that is constantly playing Universe Sandbox 'Minous? One of your kids?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Hopefully you're only seeing it when you log in, and i'm not popping in and out of it.

Son does play around with it a bit with school, but I've left it running on the daughters' low power box because one of the achievements is to watch a universe for a bloody year.

Autumn Sale now on. I thought their normal routine was to have a Winter Sale annoyingly before Christmas so isn't this a bit close to that?

they have done a black friday sale for the past couple of years, since at least 2010