Page 203 of 206 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,090 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

Now that was a sounding success. If achieving next to nothing and a brawl with your neighbors were on your to do list.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    It's kinda fun to see De Pfeffel huffing and puffing. Global Britain deflating live on TV.
    Tragicomic to see English journos and pols finally reading the deal Johnson sold them in 2019

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Bullshit. Time to get out of your FBPE Twitter circlejerk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 06-14-2021 at 12:39 PM.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

I'm going to have to check what the Turkish position is now.

Funny though that this whole playing to the home crowd has become the only play they do. With nobody else really giving a fuck about how difficult they make things for themselves.
    Congratulations America

*Mic Drop*
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Officially announced now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57478412

Boom!

Congrats. It's not exactly a game changer though:

For the government's own estimates say the new arrangements may add just 0.02% to our GDP, and the impact on prices negligible.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    FTAs of this particular variety almost never are. Eliminating regulatory barriers, facilitating movement, etc. are more important. The govt. has been conspicuously silent about concrete metrics such as impact on GDP, savings for the average household, numbers of jobs expected to be added, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Nothing is. The reality was always going to be that Britain is a modern developed economy whether we were in Europe or out, all of this is about fine margins which is why politics mattered as much if not more than economics. What decisions are made in the UK will matter far more than any amount of deals. Besides all such modelling is as bullshit as Warwick University modelling for SAGE that we're going to have 54,000 Covid19 deaths this summer. Models are simply a function of the assumptions people make, garbage in, garbage out.

But we've got a zero tariff/zero quota deal with Europe and now we can start to grow our agreements from there. This is the first one and more will follow, hopefully this is the first step on the path to full CPTPP membership which will put us in a bigger tariff free market than the EU itself, as well as still remaining tariff and quota free with Europe.

As importantly and on principle, I will no longer have to pay extra taxation from the fact my favourite alcohol is Australian shiraz. My second favourite is Argentinian malbec so might have to put up with taxes on that longer. Still thanks for the Congrats, I'm glad you can be happy for us, this is something I vote to facilitate and I'm glad its come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    FTAs of this particular variety almost never are. Eliminating regulatory barriers, facilitating movement, etc. are more important. The govt. has been conspicuously silent about concrete metrics such as impact on GDP, savings for the average household, numbers of jobs expected to be added, etc.
    That, but what do you think about the fact that their Parliament has no say.
    Congratulations America

That, but what do you think about the fact that their Parliament has no say.
    Par for the course... the UK is not a very good democracy, and their legislature seems bizarrely disinterested in scrutinizing the deals they sign (leading to these undignified reversals and attempts at revisionism down the line). These people have no integrity or dignity; they're acting out of desperation, because they need "wins" to appease the domestic public and to save face.

Par for the course... the UK is not a very good democracy, and their legislature seems bizarrely disinterested in scrutinizing the deals they sign (leading to these undignified reversals and attempts at revisionism down the line). These people have no integrity or dignity; they're acting out of desperation, because they need "wins" to appease the domestic public and to save face.
    Yeah, it's odd though. Their continuous whining about lack of democracy and sovereignty and then basically abdicate both to a couple of chancers who wouldn't know accountability if it slapped them in their faces with a big fish.

I'm seriously happy we're rid of them as members, they are very toxic neigbors, they were even worse as union members. Now at least we can ignore them most of the time.
    Congratulations America

LOL

Yeah, it's odd though. Their continuous whining about lack of democracy and sovereignty and then basically abdicate both to a couple of chancers who wouldn't know accountability if it slapped them in their faces with a big fish.
    It's not that odd. Shame, humiliation, disgrace, all have a tendency to make people—infantile middle-aged men in particular—behave in dysfunctional ways. You'll recall that, under English rules, you score points in Brexitball by moving the goalposts in England, it counts as an expression of democracy and sovereignty so long as the people engaging in antidemocratic actions are English. It's like that old libertarian caricature about how there's no greater freedom than the freedom to "choose" slavery; there's no greater expression of democracy than electing people to undermine democracy. Wrt democracy, the electorate has brain-worms. I take no pleasure in seeing them debase themselves like this... it makes life difficult for everyone, and the fremdschämen is almost suffocating.

It seems like the De Pfeffel clown circus has started to see the light on NI. They asked the EU for extra time on the Irish sea border rather than state they will break the law.
    Congratulations America

Good to offer the EU a ladder to climb down from.

It seems like the De Pfeffel clown circus has started to see the light on NI. They asked the EU for extra time on the Irish sea border rather than state they will break the law.
    They're in a difficult position after the stern reprimands from Biden. But I have no doubt they're preparing a fresh round of dumbfuckery

Biden doesn't care, nor is he relevant.

Britain holds all the cards. Either you climb down with the ladder we've offered you via you agreeing to an "extension" rather than us unilaterally doing it, or we unilaterally extend or follow the EU's precedent in invoking Article 16.

They're in a difficult position after the stern reprimands from Biden. But I have no doubt they're preparing a fresh round of dumbfuckery
    I'm sure they think they can do whatever. But we all know the reality. And that's they're a little island off the coast.
    Congratulations America

Comedy gold classic hits there Hazir. The old ones are the best.

I'm sure they think they can do whatever. But we all know the reality. And that's they're a little island off the coast.
    As delicious as the well-deserved mockery—and the triumphalism—has been, if I'm honest with myself, I really do think England has a decent shot at becoming a sort of "Angry Canada" within a decade, which is really quite good. It's just the tiresome and toxic antics along the way that I'm not looking forward to.

As delicious as the well-deserved mockery—and the triumphalism—has been, if I'm honest with myself, I really do think England has a decent shot at becoming a sort of "Angry Canada" within a decade, which is really quite good. It's just the tiresome and toxic antics along the way that I'm not looking forward to.
    I'm a little older and I remember the England pre-membership and they actually were quite bad at governing themselves.

I don't see any evidence to the contrary.
    Congratulations America

I'm a little older and I remember the England pre-membership and they actually were quite bad at governing themselves.

I don't see any evidence to the contrary.
    Yes but they were malnourished at the time

the pro-business party:

Absolutely.

If they want more drivers they can increase pay rates. Supply and demand.

Wanting to hire people on Eastern European wages isn't a right.

I'm not certain but I guess the Poots resignation is brexit news.

What a circus.
    Congratulations America

Poots has nothing to do with Brexit.

He's a batshit crazy creationist who think the 18th century is too modern. He's too extreme even for the rest of the DUP politicians.

He'd maybe fit in with the fringes of the GOP but how the UK got a politician like that is beyond me. Just goes to show Northern Ireland really is another place.

Glad he's not sticking around and didn't even last a month.

how it started vs. how it's going

Vote Leave didn't negotiate this, regrettably Remainer Theresa May won power remember? The Settled Status scheme is what the EU negotiated with Theresa May. *shrug*

Not really a big deal, by now everyone ought to have applied.