Page 122 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yep, older than you, Gramps.

edit: But I feel lucky that I'm vaccinated against Small Pox; my scar is a reminder that my parents -- and my nation -- took medical science seriously. Ditto for polio.
    In second grade our polio vaccine was administered via sugar cube.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I noticed a serious lack of compassion in myself with people falling victim to their irrational fears of vaccination.
    Congratulations America

I'm more concerned about a breakthrough infection from being around dozens of infected idiots who refused to get vaccinated.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    In second grade our polio vaccine was administered via sugar cube.
    Mine was a sugar cube, too.

My point is that -- under the current misinformation/disinformation/distrust of public health initiatives -- millions of people wouldn't be vaccinated against polio. And they'd think it was their "choice" for individual Freeeedom, when/if Polio makes a resurgence in the US (just like measles and pertussis has).

It's all poppycock based on junk science, or a theocratic fantasy, supported (and expanded) by ONE political party: Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm more concerned about a breakthrough infection from being around dozens of infected idiots who refused to get vaccinated.
    Same here. It pisses me off that those of us who've followed all the CDC guidelines -- and gotten vaccinated -- are forced to revert to mask-wearing again. All because there's a large group that refuses to get vaccinated OR wear a mask.

I feel like we're back to the beginning, where we were encouraged to think everyone was either Infected or Contagious.

Good thread on what the psychology and sociology of cons can teach us about antivaxxers in the context of the pandemic:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-57928647

YouTubers being offered money to spread information.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Got my second jab

And after the explosion in cases, they are dropping rapidly again as well, so that's good news.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Got my second jab

And after the explosion in cases, they are dropping rapidly again as well, so that's good news.
    What took so long?

Taking the night train down to sthlm... I have a compartment all to myself, but I had to go through several other cars to get more water, and, folks... they were PACKED. Easily one of the most crowded night trains I've been on, in Sweden. Almost no masks anywhere.

My sister and her husband in Indiana had to get tested (and cancel contract jobs) because their friend from Florida who paid a visit ended up having Covid. He was vaccinated but didn't mask-up in public areas. Surprise!?

She was angry that the technician taking their nasal swabs didn't ask for photo ID, then went down the rabbit hole of conspiracies (workers who need a negative test for employment could easily fake their test results that way).

I'm just hoping they're not sick, or if they're sick it's a mild case, since they're fully vaccinated. I'm mad that the US is acting like the pandemic is over just because we have vaccinations, even tho millions of people are refusing to get the shots OR WEAR MASKS. Fuck!

GGT you sound deranged. America is actually well ahead in vaccination rates compared to several countries including much of Eastern Europe (since I know you are probably ethnocentric and don't count South America or Africa).

Is Eastern European really your US comparison group? We're probably doing better than central Africa. Great job, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Is Eastern European really your US comparison group? We're probably doing better than central Africa. Great job, I guess?
    Better than Poland, Russia, Japan, Mexico, Norway, ALL of Africa, India, Peru etc etc. I feel like that's a good cross section of the world but I imagine to the ethnocentric folks Western Europe is the only other region they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Better than Poland, Russia, Japan, Mexico, Norway, ALL of Africa, India, Peru etc etc. I feel like that's a good cross section of the world but I imagine to the ethnocentric folks Western Europe is the only other region they care about.
    Except for Japan and Norway (both of whom had a late start; and Norway is on the verge of passing the US), you listed a whole lot of countries that are far, far poorer than the US. Is that who you compare the US to?

New Zealand? Taiwan? But I forget world rankings, systems of government and economies only matter if they are America and Europe.

After a record setting week of records, the school district has decided to require masks, with an opt out option. School starts Tuesday.

We're fucked.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Mask mandates are expressly forbidden here. Should be an interesting month.

Is it wrong to think of the current round of deaths to be a sort of natural selection event? Lots of breeding age people are going to die this time, so....
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Tens of thousands (likely future deaths) out of hundreds of millions isn't really sufficient for natural selection.

Leave it to the GOP to never let a crisis they created go to waste as they continue their attacks on public education.

Fuck your kids - DeSantis
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-10-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

That which does not kill us makes us stronger???

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger???

That which does not kill us mutates and tries again.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

School bus today was 3 to a seat. Last thing I told my kid was good luck and mask up

WTF is wrong with Florida? Is DeSantis popular? Even as the hospitals fill up due in no small part to his insane policies?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

He's not popular, but he's not unpopular either. Last I checked, his popularity rating was -4% (4% more disliked him than liked him).

He has killed more people with his covid policies than what he won his last election by.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    WTF is wrong with Florida? Is DeSantis popular? Even as the hospitals fill up due in no small part to his insane policies?
    It's not just Florida. A lot of people over there are just plain fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not just Florida. A lot of people over there are just plain fucked up.
    United States of Hillbillies and Cowboys. Independence is all they got...oh and a car.

Have your camera ready at the supermarket (or your baseball bat).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...lnU?li=BBnb7Kz