Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The secret kiwis among us

Default The secret kiwis among us

Chilling:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...14-gxvvmn.html

http://time.com/4898990/australia-du...ticians-joyce/

Will the law be changed? Will they make an exception in his case? Will Australia retaliate against NZ for their unbelievably cunning infiltration of the Australian govt?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Seems silly to have a person who didn't know they were a citizen be counted as one then excluded due to this. I don't think it is what the founders intended.

If he held a Kiwi passport but didn't declare it then that would be a different matter ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I see, the law isn't the law if you're white and didn't bother to check.
    Congratulations America

I fail to see how race plays into this. If anything placing extra burdens upon the children of migrants isn't going to make life easier for non-whites.

Mens rea should be an important concept in an issue like this.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Hazir is presumably referring to anti immigrant parties who want similar laws to prevent people with roots in countries like Iran, Morocco and Turkey to be in office. Even though those countries don't allow giving up citizenship and give it to all emigrant's children (and theirs) as well.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I fail to see how race plays into this. If anything placing extra burdens upon the children of migrants isn't going to make life easier for non-whites.

Mens rea should be an important concept in an issue like this.
    Ignorance of the law doesn't absolve you.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Ignorance of the law doesn't absolve you.
    It isn't ignorance of the law that is an issue in mens rea, except in cases where wilful intent was required. The politician knew the law but did not know that he was a Kiwi who doesn't have a Kiwi passport by descent.

It isn't ignorance of the law that is an issue in mens rea, except in cases where wilful intent was required. The politician knew the law but did not know that he was a Kiwi who doesn't have a Kiwi passport by descent.
    There is no reason to believe that absolves him either, until the courts rule to that effect.

To be fair mens rea (or as the Australians now call it 'fault elements' or 'mental elements') is a requirement in most offences. However I didn't say it does absolve him, I said it "should". Big difference.

To be fair mens rea (or as the Australians now call it 'fault elements' or 'mental elements') is a requirement in most offences. However I didn't say it does absolve him, I said it "should". Big difference.
    You can view it as an offense but this can also be viewed as being equivalent to denying or challenging an insurance claim based on failure to disclose relevant information, or having a patent tossed out, or being disqualified from a prize or honor after the fact due to not being eligible. Absolution or no absolution, he is still disqualified. It would be better to just change the requirement altogether, but it would be questionable to do so retroactively.

I think this kind of rule is not about being 'guilty' so knowledge of the law and his double nationality isn't a factor - but now he knows he is no longer allowed to serve and should resign (or the law changed). I figure this entire discussion is only relevant if he did it on purpose and would be charged with that (some sort of fraud I assume) - but that's not the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    You can view it as an offense but this can also be viewed as being equivalent to denying or challenging an insurance claim based on failure to disclose relevant information, or having a patent tossed out, or being disqualified from a prize or honor after the fact due to not being eligible. Absolution or no absolution, he is still disqualified. It would be better to just change the requirement altogether, but it would be questionable to do so retroactively.
    I would stand by the same principle that failing to declare something on an insurance claim should only apply if the insurance company can demonstrate that the information was known at the time the claim was submitted. IE fraud.

People are not supposed to be omniscient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I think this kind of rule is not about being 'guilty' so knowledge of the law and his double nationality isn't a factor - but now he knows he is no longer allowed to serve and should resign (or the law changed). I figure this entire discussion is only relevant if he did it on purpose and would be charged with that (some sort of fraud I assume) - but that's not the case here.
    He should have the choice to either resign as an MP or to renounce his unclaimed Kiwi citizenship.

I would stand by the same principle that failing to declare something on an insurance claim should only apply if the insurance company can demonstrate that the information was known at the time the claim was submitted. IE fraud.
    It is well established that an innocent failure to disclose relevant information can be grounds for rejection of a claim or a significant reduction in compensation.

People are not supposed to be omniscient.
    No, but they're supposed to do their homework and a modern politician is supposed to be able to use google.

He could have known so should have known. It's as simple as that.
    Congratulations America

He should have the choice to either resign as an MP or to renounce his unclaimed Kiwi citizenship.
    I agree, but there are a number of countries that don't accept it so you can't lose that nationality.

He could have known so should have known. It's as simple as that.
    He didn't have a Kiwi passport so why would he know? If he'd travelled on a Kiwi passport before then absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I agree, but there are a number of countries that don't accept it so you can't lose that nationality.
    I think a letter to the consulate or Parliament saying that you renounce your citizenship should be sufficient in that instance. Otherwise you could have the bizarre situation where we could see a nation eg take payment from the opponent of a politician, then grant an unwanted citizenship to the political opponent thus disqualifying them from Parliament.

He didn't have a Kiwi passport so why would he know? If he'd travelled on a Kiwi passport before then absolutely.
    Because he knows his ancestry and knows the eligibility criteria for being an MP.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Because he knows his ancestry and knows the eligibility criteria for being an MP.
    Ancestry is a bit of a big blanket for talking about someone's father. For a first generation Australian he had every reason to research his eligibility but he chose not to. I'm certain that a non-white in his position wouldn't have gotten away with it for this long.
    Congratulations America

Second generation and no I'm not certain of it. Especially when he was claiming his Australian citizenship on his mother's side and had never claimed his citizenship on his father's side.

This is like the ludicrous "birther" arguments over Obama all over again.

Usually I call people who call 'white privilege' a bunch of snowflake whiners. But here we have it in practise Ladies and Gentlemen; The White boy never saw a reason to check his legal status. Because, after all, he's white and British and never should anyone dare ask him if there's something we schould be aware of.

Also happy you brought up the 'birther' maniacs in the case of President Obama. May I point out that President Obama has as mr Berlusconi phrased it a 'solid tan' ?
    Congratulations America

You have made multiple mistakes here.

1: He's not British. New Zealand != Britain.
    2: It is entirely consistent to oppose both the birther nonsense and this nonsense. I opposed both so race has nothing to do with it. Seen nothing to suggest this politician was a birther before this came out either.

If you can find someone who was pro-birther but in favour of these white politicians then you may have a point.

It doesn't matter if you oppose it or not; it is in the Australian constitution and it was put in that constitution in 1901. It means that it applies to all people who aspire for elected office, not just to darkies who can be insolently be asked about their ancestry.

As for my previous post, that was based in my - possibly mistaken - reading of what you seemed to write about yourself.
    Congratulations America

Ancestry is a bit of a big blanket for talking about someone's father.
    You're correct, I couldn't think of the right word.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-1...senate/8816886

"They did not ask to see my face," she said.
    Because they could smell the sulphur from a mile away.

Ancestry is a bit of a big blanket for talking about someone's father. For a first generation Australian he had every reason to research his eligibility but he chose not to. I'm certain that a non-white in his position wouldn't have gotten away with it for this long.
    Since there's been a string of these, I do suspect some group is digging into everyone trying to find people to spring this on
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Since there's been a string of these, I do suspect some group is digging into everyone trying to find people to spring this on
    Once the cat is out of the bag.....

But seriously, in my daily life I reject claims of not having known this flimsy with the remark that people could or should have known. If he'd have been designated citizen of a country on the basis of some extremely stretched ties then it could have been different. But if the research basically could have been dealt with by asking his father or another close relative then I'd call it extremely maybe even wilfully negligent.

By the way, I am opposed to this kind of exclusion.
    Congratulations America

All this has done is expose the appalling xenophobia of the Australian constitution. Anyone from anywhere should be able to move to Australia and serve in its Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    All this has done is expose the appalling xenophobia of the Australian constitution. Anyone from anywhere should be able to move to Australia and serve in its Parliament.
    Do you have any idea what caused them to put it in?
    Congratulations America