Thread: Mmmm... food...

Default Mmmm... food...

I've got a modified version of my mum's chicken biriyani mellowing in the kitchen, a kind of pie in the fridge (filled with a chocolate-toffee-like filling and garnished with lingonberries), and a large glass of my first batch of tomato michelada before me... mmm... food... don't ya just love it?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

You must be bored this week.

EDIT: Food is our enemy. Never forget that. It must be carefully managed to maintain health. Otherwise we risk misery and untimely death.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Food is life. I can't imagine eating just to survive. I eat to enjoy the flavors of my food too much. I'd rather die having enjoyed such delicacies then live to be 100 eating only carrots and beans. (which I like but need variety in my life!)

What is chicken biriyani?

Chicken Biryani?

One of my favourite curries.

Chicken baked together with rice and tikka flavourings in the clay tandoor oven, and usually served with a vegetable sidedish of beans and potatoes.

Anything biryani is rice-based.

Yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biryani

Basically lightly spiced basmati rice cooked slowly over fairly low heat with yummy chicken it was delish, albeit a little too lightly spiced. But def. not bad for my first attempt the rice was nice and fluffy and not at all sticky, and it just MELTS in your mouth. I made some changes to the spices, and I was of course VERY liberal with the ghee (best addition to my kitchen this year).

Never had it made in a tandoor! Om nom nom...

Will have to try it sometime.

Cumin does vile things to food. It should be replaced with chile powder.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

You hush your mouth!

Cumin does wonderful things to food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Yeah, they aren't exactly interchangeable. But cumin should be used sensibly, otherwise it just becomes Mexican

Edit: Wrong thread.

Hmm, I made macaroni and cheese today. Not that Kraft stuff, but with actual cheese. Delicious.

I've been drooling over recipes in the Real Simple magazine all day. They have a special page devoted to broccoli. Brocolli: almondine, dip, salad, soup, slaw, frittata, pesto, chicken.

And the short ribs, ohmuhgod.
    Your search had no results.

Bacon & Egg Pie! Hmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmmm....
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    Edit: Wrong thread.

Hmm, I made macaroni and cheese today. Not that Kraft stuff, but with actual cheese. Delicious.

I've been drooling over recipes in the Real Simple magazine all day. They have a special page devoted to broccoli. Brocolli: almondine, dip, salad, soup, slaw, frittata, pesto, chicken.

And the short ribs, ohmuhgod.
    You'll be a nice wife to someone.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Just a simple steak today, yum. And I checked out some local turkish supermarket and got a liter-bottle of excellent sambal! Tomorrow I'm going to check out the chinese supermarket, have been planning to do that for a while.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

On the grill: thick cut pork chops marinated in oil/vinegar, topped with fresh cilantro, apple slices with a bit of brown sugar on top. I'd never grilled apples before, they were really good.

Oysters kilpatrick.....
    Such is Life...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken...ry/Detail.aspx

This was tonight's dinner. With couscous. And acorn squash (because I really really wanted to eat it).

It was tasty.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

This our current food thread? Could have swore we had a different one...

Anyway, thanks to something called icarly and word of mouth, I had spaghetti tacos for dinner tonight.

Ha, you know, my kids are both iCarly fans, but they have never once asked me to make spaghetti tacos. They do, however, have a thing for smoothies and think Seattle would be an awesome place to live because of it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I made these. Coconut layer cake with Swiss meringue icing and really big chewy/crispy oatmeal cookies. Homemade sweets are the best!

The cake was a total bitch to make without a Kitchenaid, but it was definitely worth it. Recipe is here if anybody is interested. I first saw it on their show last week and had been dreaming about it ever since.
    Your search had no results.