Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro Elections 2019

Default Euro Elections 2019

Looks almost certain the UK will still be participating in these despite the Brexit referendum 3 years before. I have never less looked forward to a set of elections. Plus of course these matter for the rest of the EU but in the UK these will no doubt be viewed myopically just through the prism of Brexit.

In the UK Farage is the only one campaigning already for these with his new Brexit Party (having left UKIP when it became too racist even for him). Hopefully at least this will spell the death of UKIP which has turned into a Tommy Robinson loving EDL anti-Islam hateful party.

Remainers are split across multiple parties with no clear anti-Brexit Party. SNP, Greens, Lib Dems and ChangeUK/TIG all vying for that spot. I think Remainers have really missed a trick here, a lot saying it doesn't matter who people vote for as its PR (which is only partially true) but had they joined flags under a Remain Coalition they could have won the election (as in first place) which would have put MPs under immense pressure. Instead I think Farage will get first place again which will put especially Tory MPs under the other sort of pressure.

I expect the Tories especially and probably Labour too to do very, very badly.

I've never been more tempted to spoil my ballot. I can't vote for Farage and don't want to vote for May either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I predict the UK will try to undermine democracy again and oh look:

https://mobile.twitter.com/the3milli...47438567665666
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Not much of a reply to this yet. Whoever is doing marketing for Farage's new party is a genius. I thought this was a very bizarre logo when it first came out, looks like a house on its side. However where it matters on a ballot paper this is pure genius.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

This is the oddest election of my lifetime. I literally want to vote None of the Above.

Funny description of the parties by Private Eye:

what difference does it make?

that's a semi-serious question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Very little. I mean three years nearly have passed since the referendum we shouldn't even be having these elections. These are MEPs that shouldn't even be taking their seats yet here we go again. Its ridiculous.

I hate Nigel f***ing Farage but at least his party, along with the Lib Dems and CHUK have come up with clear positions on Europe. The Tories have their heads in the sand and Labour their heads up their own arse.

So long as you remain a member of the EU, as you currently are, you must hold EP elections. This is essential for safeguarding the democratic rights of all UK citizens in the UK—not just the Brits.

Of course nobody disputes that, that I know of. We shouldn't still be members of the EU though.

Two points about the European elections:

1) There's a good chance the polls we've been seeing will just be complete wrong. Polls use of mathematical models based on past voting behaviour, but there's really never been a situation like this before so those models are going to be useless.
    2) Any 'message' you might draw from the result has to take into account the turn out.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Two points about the European elections:

1) There's a good chance the polls we've been seeing will just be complete wrong. Polls use of mathematical models based on past voting behaviour, but there's really never been a situation like this before so those models are going to be useless.
    2) Any 'message' you might draw from the result has to take into account the turn out.
    If we'd have voters behave like in polls the last decade or two we'd have been under a lunatic fascist government for the better part of this century.
    Congratulations America

If we'd had voters behave like in polls we'd have voted Remain and had a solid Tory majority with Corbyn having resigned to spend more time growing vegetables.

The only thing I think we can take for certain is that the Tories are going to do terribly in these elections. I don't know anyone passionate about voting Tory this time.

I might spoil my ballot for the first time in my life. Maybe vote OMRLP if they're standing. EDIT: They're not, not in the NorthWest at least.

Standing in my area are
    Remain parties: CHUK, Green, LD - can't vote for them.
    Tories: Don't want to vote for them.
    Labour: Never
    Brexit: Don't want to vote for them.
    UKIP: Never
    Independents that I've never heard of: Unlikely
    Tommy Robinson: Over my dead body
    English Democrats: Don't know anything about these guys.

Nothing appeals. May need to look into the independents even though that would be wasting my vote. EDIT: Nope, the two other independents is someone campaigning to stop Brexit (as if the 3 Stop Brexit Parties weren't enough) and someone who's manifesto is entirely in Urdu which I have no problems with but I have absolutely no clue what he stands for but he's not seeking my vote either I'm guessing.

By series of elimination it seems my only options are Tory and Brexit and I don't want to vote for either of them. Or spoil my ballot but I don't want to do that either. Bah, humbug!
    Last edited by RandBlade; 05-16-2019 at 10:52 PM.

The EU referendum polls were pretty accurate, since the told is the referendum was going to be close and could go either way, which is was pretty much how it turned out. People were just so convinced 'it would never happen' that they read an, e.g. 2-4 lead for remain as a sure remain victory, rather than well within the margin of error.

The results from the Euro elections, on the other hand, could be all over the place based entirely on who bothers to turn out and vote, which is completely unpredictable. I have no idea if people will see these as a pointless waste of time or a rerun of the referendum.

We're in the same EU Parliament constituency, Randblade. I'll vote LD, obviously.

I dunno who told that prick Tommy Robinson he could stand in the constituency that I live in. Also, the English Democrats are another one of those far right BNP knock-offs with the serial numbers filed off.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Good choice, I'd vote LD if I were you. Obviously I can't under the circumstances, which is a shame I've always had a soft-spot for them but a vote for them is a vote for "Bollocks to Brexit" ...

Shame about the English Democrats. If they were halfway sane they could have been a decent protest vote. Really narrows my choice down to three very unpalatable options: Tory, Brexit or Spoilt Ballot.

I hate May for it, but I'm going to vote Brexit Party.

May has to go, this madness has to end. We need to exit.

I could never vote UKIP but these guys seem to be at least trying not to be racist, or even anti-immigration. I've not heard even one anti-immigration thing from them. And all their ads I've seen are deliberately multiracial and multicultural. Its all about Brexit and on that I agree.

Hopefully the Tories poll in single digits and May is prised from Number 10 at last. Forget worst PM since Eden, she's the worst PM since Lord North.

Wow, I never thought you'd vote for the Derek Fromage personality cult. A new low.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

"look what you made me do" part deux

Are the other parties even campaigning?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Locally, the Lib Dems have been active. Labour, Brexit, UKIP and the English Democrats did one mailshot each. No sign of the tories, but they seldom bother here.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Both the Brexit Party and UKIP had big tables in Carlisle when I was there the other day, haven't heard a peep out of anyone else.

I'm not very impressed with Remainers calling for a second referendum when they can't even be bothered to campaign in the Euro elections while Farage is out there trying to make this a re-run of 2016. Are we just going to get Ref 2 and then all the Remainer politicians are like "well, job done, over to you guys" then phone in the campaign, again?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yep. Remainers have been more interested in fighting each other trying to portray themselves as "the true force for Remain" than fighting for the election.

On the back of 4 million signing the petition Remainers had momentum. But that's gone now. Chuk, Greens, Lib Dems and the SNP should have united and stood under one platform. Call themselves the Remain Alliance. They'd have made this a true proxy referendum and could quite possibly have won which would have been transformative.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Wow, I never thought you'd vote for the Derek Fromage personality cult. A new low.
    This is about more than a cult. Democracy matters.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yep. Remainers have been more interested in fighting each other trying to portray themselves as "the true force for Remain" than fighting for the election.

On the back of 4 million signing the petition Remainers had momentum. But that's gone now. Chuk, Greens, Lib Dems and the SNP should have united and stood under one platform. Call themselves the Remain Alliance. They'd have made this a true proxy referendum and could quite possibly have won which would have been transformative.
    I think it was too late to do anything like a Remain Alliance by the time it dawned on anyone that the Euro Elections were definitely going to happen, and also that Farage was trying to use them as a launch pad for his Brexit party. If the Remainer parties simply go more of the vote combined than Brexit that might do some good, but nope. Farage is going around on his bus getting milkshake thrown on him, and everyone else is like "if only there's something we could have done about this".
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I'm sorry I don't buy that. Given Remainers have been coordinating already to try and frustrate Brexit the groundwork was already there. An extension has been odds on since February at the least.

Ironically Vince Cable suggested a remain alliance for this election and the other parties rejected. Chuk in particular said they wanted to replace the Lib Dems not ally with them. The irony that the Lib Dems are killing Chuk now is not lost but a massive opportunity for Remainers has been.

Combine the Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and Chuk under one Revoke/Remain/People's Vote banner and they might have been favourites to win this election. Idiots!

The Remainer plan to co-ordinate to frustrate Brexit is actually - I shouldn't technically be telling you this - to just do nothing and watch the entire asinine project implode under it's own contradictions, which I think you'll agree is going pretty well. That being the case, there is no Remainer Illuminati in place to help co-ordinate a joint campaign for the Euro elections, which honestly only Farage was preparing for.

Chunk are bad at politics.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You are a bit harsh on your political parties; they're probably short on funds to spend on campaigning in this election.

I am considered voting social democrats tomorrow because I kind of like Frans Timmermans. Though I may also vote for Rutte's party.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    You are a bit harsh on your political parties; they're probably short on funds to spend on campaigning in this election.
    Brexit party seems to be fine. I wonder how that happened!
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Brexit party seems to be fine. I wonder how that happened!
    No doubt the inquiry will shed a light on that. Timmermans lost me last night when he went populist on unemployment benefits. As it happens I know a bit about those and I am against playing to the audience on them. Nothing good ever came of that.
    Congratulations America

Pretty sure I'll be voting for the Center Party this time. Their leader has made an accurate analysis of the hilarious missteps of conservative/center-right parties elsewhere in the west, adopted a firm and principled stance both against collaboration with xenophobes & populists and for liberal & progressive policies, and very effectively furthered her party's agenda in an electoral situation that has severely humiliated the other parties in the conservative Alliance coalition.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I hate May for it, but I'm going to vote Brexit Party.
    Is that the milkshake party?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."