Thread: UK EU referendum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    that even the word federal is considered a four letter word.
    Well it is, and ought to be [at least as far as what federal means in the modern world].

One-size-fits-all rules don't even work well in individual countries, so being skeptical of that approach to bind a couple dozen widely different countries together isn't "hysterical," it's vestigial traces of intelligence. (Especially with the benefit of hindsight, and that whole 50% debt write-down for Greece... real EU success story, that. )
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Well it is, and ought to be [at least as far as what federal means in the modern world].

One-size-fits-all rules don't even work well in individual countries, so being skeptical of that approach to bind a couple dozen widely different countries together isn't "hysterical," it's vestigial traces of intelligence. (Especially with the benefit of hindsight, and that whole 50% debt write-down for Greece... real EU success story, that. )
    Well, with a federal treasury the whole Greek problem wouldn't have happened for the simple reason that Greece would not have been able to overspend on the scale it did without that treasury hitting the brakes.

I must say I had a good laugh when I read reports today that Cameron is looking for support of the Commission to ensure that the interests of the '10' are not overruled by a 'caucus of the 17'. Sarkozy's outburst last week seems to have bitten quite a bit it seems

Not that there are really '10' outs in the way Cameron would like to make us believe; most of the outs will at some point join the EMU and will do so willingly.
    Congratulations America