Thread: Virginia Gov. Reinstates Felon Voting Right

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I still fail to see the problem. What harm exactly do you think a prisoner can do through his/her single vote beyond your unwarranted scaremongering?

And if a foreigner has been living in a city or a country for years then I don't see why he shouldn't get a vote.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I still fail to see the problem. What harm exactly do you think a prisoner can do through his/her single vote beyond your unwarranted scaremongering?

And if a foreigner has been living in a city or a country for years then I don't see why he shouldn't get a vote.
    It isn't about harm, it's about rights and responsibilities. Non-citizens and prisoners simply don't have the right to vote because they aren't a part of our free citizenry. With all the other associated rights like free assembly etc that Fuzzy has already mentioned.

If a foreigner has been living in a country for years then he shouldn't get a vote because he's not a citizen. Most nations including all western ones I can think of allow foreigners to acquire citizenship after years of legal residency. If the foreigner declines the opportunity to acquire citizenship then they're denying themselves the rights and responsibilities that come with that.

Why exactly should a prisoner or non-citizen require and have the right to a vote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It isn't about harm, it's about rights and responsibilities. Non-citizens and prisoners simply don't have the right to vote because they aren't a part of our free citizenry. With all the other associated rights like free assembly etc that Fuzzy has already mentioned.

If a foreigner has been living in a country for years then he shouldn't get a vote because he's not a citizen. Most nations including all western ones I can think of allow foreigners to acquire citizenship after years of legal residency. If the foreigner declines the opportunity to acquire citizenship then they're denying themselves the rights and responsibilities that come with that.

Why exactly should a prisoner or non-citizen require and have the right to a vote?
    That's circular logic you're applying here and not a valid reason. It also dodges my question: Why is only "free citizenry" allowed to vote?

First argument was: "They're too dangerous". Now it's: "They're not free citizens." Those are only mere attributes, not reasons. And arbitrarily chosen to boot.

That's circular logic you're applying here and not a valid reason. It also dodges my question: Why is only "free citizenry" allowed to vote?

First argument was: "They're too dangerous". Now it's: "They're not free citizens." Those are only mere attributes, not reasons. And arbitrarily chosen to boot.
    It's not circular, I've already addressed why free citizens DO have the vote. Non-citizens and incarcerated criminals and children don't meet that threshold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It's not circular, I've already addressed why free citizens DO have the vote. Non-citizens and incarcerated criminals and children don't meet that threshold.
    No, you didn't. Also, your threshold remains arbitrary and has no factual basis.

You may not realize that but when you alienate someone of his rights, this has to be done in order to solve a problem. That's why you incarcerate dangerous people.

I fail to see which problem is solved by preventing criminals from voting.

No, you didn't. Also, your threshold remains arbitrary and has no factual basis.

You may not realize that but when you alienate someone of his rights, this has to be done in order to solve a problem. That's why you incarcerate dangerous people.

I fail to see which problem is solved by preventing criminals from voting.
    I'm confused - are you saying the only reason to incarcerate someones is because they pose a danger to people around them? So white collar crimes should not result in jail time?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I'm confused - are you saying the only reason to incarcerate someones is because they pose a danger to people around them? So white collar crimes should not result in jail time?
    They should be forced to work with dopey FBI-agents to solve sexy crimes.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    No, that's Rand's line: They're in jail because they're dangerous. He completely ignores that aspect.