Thread: WWIII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Unipolarity doesn't preclude the existence of major powers; it's just that one is significantly more powerful than the rest. Even if we accept your criteria, there's no inherent reason why unipolarity must last a shorter period of time than bipolarity. Bipolarity can end with either one of the poles surpassing the other or a third state becoming a pole. Unipolarity can only end through the latter mechanism. The rise of countries is not a fast or certain process. It will be decades before we really see the end of unipolarity.

I should also note that in bipolarity, everything is a zero-sum game. That makes cooperation incredibly difficult to achieve. So even if there isn't war (though there have been plenty of wars in pre-20th century bipolarity periods), there is no stability either. The zero-sum nature of interaction increases hostility, which makes countries more likely to use force.

Here's a good work on the subject: http://www.jstor.org/pss/174077 The current consensus in IR is that polarity doesn't really matter, by the way.
    Okay, I'll accept your expertise on the matter. Thanks for the source.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Okay, I'll accept your expertise on the matter. Thanks for the source.
    Don't make me argue against GGT.
    Hope is the denial of reality