Thread: Low scores don't deter Wis. voucher supporters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My questions first would be nice. I'd really like you to explain how public and private colleges can manage to run the gamut of poor to superior, when they are competing for money, yet public and private schools would not do so when they are competing for vouchers (which would equate to money).

Then the other questions would be nice too.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    My questions first would be nice. I'd really like you to explain how public and private colleges can manage to run the gamut of poor to superior, when they are competing for money, yet public and private schools would not do so when they are competing for vouchers (which would equate to money).

Then the other questions would be nice too.
    Except no one is under any obligation to go to a public college (or any college for that matter). Public colleges therefore compete with both each other and with private colleges. Depending on zoning rules, a given public school doesn't compete with anyone (for students whose parents aren't loaded).

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    What's the consequence of creating an economic under-class?
    That's a fait accompli. Don't see why any leftist would want to perpetuate the status quo. The entire purpose of charter schools is to give poor people an alternative to a public system that has failed the kids of other poor people for generations. You can talk all you want about throwing money to fix public schools, but the reality is that this would take a lot of time even if people went about implementing it. Meanwhile, the students in those schools are seeing their life prospects destroyed.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That's a fait accompli. Don't see why any leftist would want to perpetuate the status quo. The entire purpose of charter schools is to give poor people an alternative to a public system that has failed the kids of other poor people for generations. You can talk all you want about throwing money to fix public schools, but the reality is that this would take a lot of time even if people went about implementing it. Meanwhile, the students in those schools are seeing their life prospects destroyed.
    I certainly don't claim to have good answers on how to fix education in the US, and if you recall you and I agree on several things about US culture and how it undermines education. But as a leftist, I do think it a more sensible solution to at least try to give all kids an acceptable education, instead of arbitrarily awarding education to a random smattering of poor children in addition to children from affluent homes. So many aspects of being poor and remaining poor are already inherited through some mechanism or another, adding to that seems to me as pissing on the poor just for the sake of pissing on the poor. I suspect your view-point will be vindicated by history as present becomes past, and the US moves closer and closer to self-immolation. That doesn't make it any less of a tragedy for the participants, though.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.