Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

The American

Strange that there was a film with Mr. Clooney in it that I had never seen or heard of.

Anyway, it has a decent quantity of unclothed George, since I know this is how all the rest of you judge a film as well.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Her

Joaquim Phoenix plays a man who falls in love with his aritificially intelligent OS, voiced by Scarlett Johanssen. Oscar winning screenplay under the direction of Spike Jonze, who's only other outing I've seen is Being John Malkovitch. Discounting the Jackass franchise, that is.

Intriguing concept, and I liked the way the protagonist struggles with the inevitable questions that arise; primarily - can you actually fall in love with a non-corporeal abstract and maintain a rewarding relationship thereof.

A warm, sympathetically-conveyed movie, if a little inward.

Spoiler:
    ... and the ending would be all too familiar, if a little predictable, to any fan of sci-fi, particularly Iain M Banks's Culture; that the OS intelligence eventually removes itself from human contact/the physical world and joins a group-mind.

7.5/10

~

A New York Winter's Tale

Yeah, whatevs

3.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    EDIT: Anyone see Nebraska? I thought it was pretty good. Pretty sad too, bordering on pathetic. And all too familiar in some cases... Oh, and it was funny.
    Yes, caught this a couple of months back. I liked it. It went in unexpected directions. Was a little too slow at times though.

I watched "Breaking Away" for the first time in a long time. The parents (Barbara Barrie and Paul Dooley) became well known actors, but never reached the fame that Dennis Quaid did.

It's only happenstance that I was a student at IU Bloomington when it was filmed. It's still a good little movie (that pre-dates Lance Armstrong and the cycling world) that everyone should put on their must-see list.

Kung Fu Panda

Remains one of my all-time favourite movies, animated or otherwise

skadoosh
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The imitation game, good movie. Though I must admit that the reference to the official pardon was a real WTF moment for me. As if that makes a difference to history that they pardoned a dead man almost 60 years after he was driven to death. If Elizabeth II wanted to make a real meaningful gesture she should have apologized to all the living victims of anti-gay persecution in her realm.
    Congratulations America

Exodus. I was surprised about how much I liked the movie. Maybe my expectations were set too low after reading too many bad reviews. Only thing I can say against it, is that it was a bit sluggish at times.

Minor nuisances : use of the word fire as a command to release bows, the use of the word 'sorry' and finally the use of the expression 'dare I' by the pharaoh.

Wondering why there are no protests against the blasphemy of not only depicting a prophet but even God himself.
    Congratulations America

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

The best part of the movie is a time traveling, talking, flying, rapping dolphin. Only time my 5 year old laughed was when Patrick almost lost his pants.

My head hurts.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    John Wick

a quality and extremely enjoyable action movie. The writing and back story is the best. The extremely simple way they framed how big the main character is with that mob boss phone call... perfect.
    +1 - I absolutely enjoyed this film. Reeves was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Oh my GOD, this was easily the second worst movie in the last 2 years for me..
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Kung Fu Panda

Remains one of my all-time favourite movies, animated or otherwise

skadoosh
    Then you will like the sequel - really well done as far as sequels go.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Oh my GOD, this was easily the second worst movie in the last 2 years for me..
    A. It was not plausible that he did not kill the Russian Mob Boss at first chance. Yes, the plot must go forward, but still...

B. The very end = too sappy.

C. Lor-Reeves "brilliant?" Seriously? He is not capable of brilliance, IMHO. Haz - it wasn't remotely that bad. Is your distaste something specific to you?

Note: the movie is so simple and plot so formula, A and B cannot possibly be spoilers after just watching the trailer.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

A. It was not plausible that he did not kill the Russian Mob Boss at first chance. Yes, the plot must go forward, but still...

C. Lor-Reeves "brilliant?" Seriously? He is not capable of brilliance, IMHO. Haz - it wasn't remotely that bad. Is your distaste something specific to you?

Note: the movie is so simple and plot so formula, A and B cannot possibly be spoilers after just watching the traler.
    I saw this movie owith two others, who both have different tastes in movies, one of them likes action movies more than anything, and he got close to walking out.
    Congratulations America

Note: the movie is so simple and plot so formula, A and B cannot possibly be spoilers after just watching the trailer.
    Maybe I'm forgetting a meeting, but Wick came across as someone who didn't want to kill. He retired and was trying very hard to not get sucked back into that world. That phone call between Wick and the mob boss... that was chilling. That set up the character so damn well. Someone who is full of restraint, but still understands that he is tied to the concept of an eye for an eye (something that repeats itself several times in the movie for several characters). First few encounters he is only killing the people who are attacking him, then the people who are getting in his way. But a dad protecting his son, that was something he could understand; on top of the theme that the old crew was more refined and honor bound, thus predictable, than the new guys taking their places. This wasn't about the mob boss, this was about the mob boss' son. There was a code and he was trying to stick to it. Even when he was attacked in his hotel room. I don't think Wick snapped until the end of the movie and finally decided that the mob boss needed to die too. For an action movie thin on plot (it didn't really need one) the character came across very well developed.

I'm looking forward to what the directors/writers do with Wick 2.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-16-2015 at 06:14 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Speraking of... John Wick kill counter:

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Maybe I'm forgetting a meeting, but Wick came across as someone who didn't want to kill. He retired and was trying very hard to not get sucked back into that world. That phone call between Wick and the mob boss... that was chilling. That set up the character so damn well. Someone who is full of restraint, but still understands that he is tied to the concept of an eye for an eye (something that repeats itself several times in the movie for several characters). First few encounters he is only killing the people who are attacking him, then the people who are getting in his way. But a dad protecting his son, that was something he could understand; on top of the theme that the old crew was more refined and honor bound, thus predictable, than the new guys taking their places. This wasn't about the mob boss, this was about the mob boss' son. There was a code and he was trying to stick to it. Even when he was attacked in his hotel room. I don't think Wick snapped until the end of the movie and finally decided that the mob boss needed to die too. For an action movie thin on plot (it didn't really need one) the character came across very well developed.

I'm looking forward to what the directors/writers do with Wick 2.
    This.

What can I say,I have a soft spot for Reeves. A good actor, rides motorcycles (plus owns his own company in Arch Motorcycles) and plays the bass - what's not to like!?

He is an all around great human, especially considering the shit life he had/has. Reeves is one of hollywoods great philanthropists. An avid reader. Takes paycuts if it means a better movie; hell for Matrix the options he gave away to the set and graphics people amounted to around 75 million (on top of the motorcycles he gave the stunt crew). He doesn't keep most of the new money he makes, and he spends ungodly amounts of it on his sister's treatment. The guy even inspired 4chan into donating to cancer research.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-17-2015 at 03:41 PM.

I liked Man of Tai-Chi.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Edge of Tomorrow

For once the previews and trailers (at least the ones I saw) didn't give away the plot. A down right amazing movie that totally caught me off guard.

Do wish they would have explained the ending a bit better though.

Agreed about the movie, but the ending is your typical Hollywood non-sequitur whose main purpose is to make the audience happy.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Is there a bracket code to spoiler/blackout text in the middle of paragraph?

I read up on it, and the explanation makes sense:
    Spoiler:
    at least as much sense that a time travel movie can make sense. To me a happy ending would have been everyone getting the appropriate credit or if we knew if Cage still had the gift.

Movie ending spoiler:
    Spoiler:

When he dropped the grenades, his blood mixed with the alpha (or beta, everyone was in the water) and that gave him the gift back. So why did he travel farther back in time? When the alpha died, his meeting with the general never happened, so he was never knocked out. Him sleeping in the helicopter was the nearest reset point.
    But that explanation ignores why the alpha/beta deaths didn't also result in them getting a reset with the same power. Unless the order of the deaths somehow happened like alpha > beta > cage (and that such an order matters), and the reset power remains after the death of an alpha.

Predestination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOpfpYijHA

Better than the others of its kind

For some reason I thought that movie wasn't out yet. It's based off Heinlein's "All You Zombies", and I wanted to see it for that reason alone. I can't imagine they stayed very close to the story, though.

Still Alice, very good and American Sniper, good.
    Congratulations America

So I finally saw "Pitch Perfect" tonight. I had a good time, but even with a shower-scene featuring Anna Kendricks and a ginger Brittany Snow this movie felt surprisingly (and ironically ) flat. No good message, a few unintentionally problematic ones, characters that fail to engage or are downright blech... but, on the other hand, easy viewing a capella feast. I dunno. Might see the sequel

I saw "Parallels" on Netflix the other night. It's listed as a movie, but it's actually a series pilot. The pacing gives it away pretty quickly.

It was actually pretty good though. The plot is something reminiscent of Sliders - some people moving between parallel worlds with a timer for how long they stay on each one (36 hours for this one). There are a couple of plot holes, and Tinkerer was a bit too magically-competent for me, but overall I thought it was pretty good and has a lot of potential as a series. I hope that Netflix decides to pick it up. Fair warning is that since it is a pilot, most of the plot threads aren't tied up at the end.

Unfortunately I was kinda disappointed. The first movie had its flaws but, overall, it was thoroughly enjoyable. This movie had its high points, but, overall, it was kinda flawed. The intro wasn't all that good. The pacing was off, the use of tension was ineffective, the dialogue and acting both uninspired, the score was a little meh, the action was frequently kinda boring, etc etc. Ultron was, to my surprise, not a compelling villain, although it was a little funny seeing a robot version of Reddington. The Vision was all right, I guess. I liked the twins, on the whole. Character development and showcasing was a bit hit and miss, but Renner as Barton did the best job of it the budding romance between Romanoff and Banner had a lot of potential but they didn't really manage to do it justice. I have other specific complaints but I think I should stop before I ruin what little enjoyment I did get out of the movie. All in all, I'm glad I saw it but I'm also unusually glad I didn't have to pay full price. I didn't feel like the big screen added much to the experience.

Oh yeah, the Ant Man trailer made me less enthusiastic about that movie, while the Terminator trailer made me more enthusiastic. The post credits button was... well, it was a little shite.

That being said, I had to revise my opinion of Daredevil summat so that's good! The costume is crap but the episodes leading up to the end were really good and even D'Onofrio redeemed himself with his telling of the tale of the good samaritan

avengers age of ultron

Amazing movie. So much humor, coating so many touchy subjects so perfectly. So well crafted that my 5 year old was able to keep pace and questioning why someone was or wasn't doing something at critical times.

Thing is full of cameos and references to nerd and comic book culture too. Sitting in the back I was having fun hearing a joke on the screen, then the random giggles and laughs from random people in the audience as it slowly dawned on them. Its going to take several run throughs, or a very robust director's commentary, to catch everything they hid in this movie.

sounds like geek heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Child 44, sometimes a bit confused/confusing, but all in all it really works in its depiction of Stalinist Russia.
    Congratulations America