Thread: What are you willing to give up in order to give up oil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Oh, I took it to mean similar to what Tear did...

...in that as an example of urban sprawl, Long Island has a much higher population density than Finland, a lot less area in which to cram actual roads, and a lot more cars on the road. The nightmare only gets worse as time wears on, more land is developed, and more people move here, and more cars are added. There is also the fact that most of Long Island lives within commuting distance of New York City. In addition, regardless of whether or not Robert Moses was or was not a racist, the existing architecture of LI's roadways, bridges, etc. are ill equipped to handle much more mass transit. The LIRR also does not serve everywhere, and has limited expansion abilities...and you'd still need a car or some other form of transportation to get to the stations.
    That's...Still not the same thing I and ']['ear were posting about. Although the end result is the same whether you have a lot of cars crammed into little space, making gods-awful traffic, or endless plains of suburbia where everyone drives 30 minutes to get anywhere, you're draining oil out the ass for no goddamn reason.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    <snip> you're draining oil out the ass for no goddamn reason.
    #1. You for got the S. Consistency at least, please. Thank you.

#2. No reason? Seriously? SERIOUSLY????
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    #1. You for got the S. Consistency at least, please. Thank you.
    Fuck you
    #2. No reason? Seriously? SERIOUSLY????
    Yeah.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Fuck you

Yeah.
    Step number 1, right or wrong, is consistency. If you're not consistent, then you might as well be insane. It's CHAOS I TELL YOU! Fix that first you fucking monkey bitch.

Also, no drop of oil's ever been burnt to a good purpose. Shit head. Or do you have some good purpose out there you can cite? Pshaw.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Step number 1, right or wrong, is consistency. If you're not consistent, then you might as well be insane. It's CHAOS I TELL YOU! Fix that first you fucking monkey bitch.
    Fuck you

Also, no drop of oil's ever been burnt to a good purpose. Shit head. Or do you have some good purpose out there you can cite? Pshaw.
    As I have indicated in previous discussions on this topic, I am with the wiggin; oil should be used to create materials. It is hardly my fault you chose to read things into my posts that were not there. Also, fuck you.

Fuck you

As I have indicated in previous discussions on this topic, I am with the wiggin; oil should be used to create materials. It is hardly my fault you chose to read things into my posts that were not there. Also, fuck you.
    Good. That's better.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Note two trends here
    1) grey bars: the intentional fall of rail, and the concomitant rise of tractor trailors.
    2) green bars: a loophole created by the government under strong pressure (read: donations) from Detroit. Allow SUVs, which are essentially passenger vehicles, to be rated as trucks. That way they avoid our mileage regulations, which are ridiculously weak anyway. Oh, and dumbasses to buy them and then rationalize it as if it were for safety. Even now only the largest SUVs provide a safety margin, and that is a relatively recent development. The early SUVs that drove the boom were all much less safe than any other class than pickups. But at least pickups were mostly working vehicles.

So basically this whole trend is created by industry pressure of one sort or another. That combined with the lack of spine to raise taxes on transportation fuel gives you the US profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    ...in that as an example of urban sprawl, Long Island has a much higher population density than Finland, a lot less area in which to cram actual roads, and a lot more cars on the road. The nightmare only gets worse as time wears on, more land is developed, and more people move here, and more cars are added. There is also the fact that most of Long Island lives within commuting distance of New York City. In addition, regardless of whether or not Robert Moses was or was not a racist, the existing architecture of LI's roadways, bridges, etc. are ill equipped to handle much more mass transit. The LIRR also does not serve everywhere, and has limited expansion abilities...and you'd still need a car or some other form of transportation to get to the stations.
    Poor urban planning is not the same as sprawl. AFAIK Long Island is not as bad as many places. And many parts of NYC are actually the most environmentally efficient places in north America. Few of the people own cars and they live in hives where surface to volume ration is much lower, and thus much more energy efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I don't get #7. First of all, you'd use less gas heating up an oven in summer, right? Second, cooking only uses a tiny fraction of our gas consumption in our house, the vast majority of it is heating and showers. Showering shorter would be a better idea..
    Most Euros have no idea how hot the US gets in the summer. We're much further south than you. And its not just the south. Working summers during college in Minnesota, I ran two fans over my bed and kept a mister by the bed to wet down a couple of times a night. Most sane people there have AC. It was only on the west coast that I encountered homes without AC (and now window screens, because few bugs.)

Step number 1, right or wrong, is consistency. If you're not consistent, then you might as well be insane.
    Like taking an environmental stance while living in a trophy house?

Oil is a fantastically versatile substance. Too bad we burn it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Like taking an environmental stance while living in a trophy house?
    Like continuing to be a judgemental, head-in-ass, holier than thou cock to others while whining all the time when Cain picks on you ad nauseum? Consistency is only the first step. Correction is the next.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    It was only on the west coast that I encountered homes without AC (and now window screens, because few bugs.)
    And that's literally on the coast, not necessarily the inland portions of the state, much less places like Bakersfield, which is California's moronic *albeit gratefully failed* attempt to dethrone Houston as the entrance to Hell.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"