Page 39 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 6159

Thread: Brexit Begins

You should also note that the UK is not currently involved in trade negotiations with the EU and that the reports in question are purported to be about the impact of brexit.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Here's how other countries are doing it:

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Here's how other countries are doing it:
    Hmm €100bn does about sound right
    Congratulations America

Yeah, sounds a lot like still paying towards the budget

But let us ask our resident Breximaniac if he's happy with his government's sublime negotiating skills. After all it took them only half a year to haggle it up to the original asked amount.

Did you whip the Champagne out tonight Randy? Or are you going to leave that untill after the complete surrender?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Andrew lilico has no credibility on this, he has made numerous incorrect statements about this and related issues.

How many years of 350m a week is that by the way? Or should be calculate it by the net contribution
    Congratulations America

Andrew lilico has no credibility on this, he has made numerous incorrect statements about this and related issues.
    And he doesn't seem to understand that rules are not just there for the heck of it but that they also must be enforced. By either the EU itself or by a British authority recognized by the EU executing rules set by the EU or in perfect compliance with those EU rules. Which all brings it back to the question; 'If you get out to take back control, what is it you hate so much about actually taking control?'.
    Congratulations America

A number of Brexiters have been pushing this myth in an attempt to preemptively lay the blame at Ireland's feet. Commenters with relevant experience in international trade law have categorically rejected this notion as bullshit as, absent a formal agreement eliminating tariffs, failure to enforce tariffs at the Irish border would almost certainly constitute a violation of WTO regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    How many years of 350m a week is that by the way? Or should be calculate it by the net contribution
    Either just under 3 years, or just under 3 millennia depending on if they're using the American or British 'billion'.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Seriously why do you fuckers have to have your own billion

Is it a sovereignty thing?

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Playing the man rather than the ball I see. Name one commentator that hasn't made a number of incorrect statements, or try and point out the flaw in the logic.
    Yeah, sounds a lot like still paying towards the budget

But let us ask our resident Breximaniac if he's happy with his government's sublime negotiating skills. After all it took them only half a year to haggle it up to the original asked amount.

Did you whip the Champagne out tonight Randy? Or are you going to leave that untill after the complete surrender?
    I don't drink Champagne, it's expensive branded drink that is at least twice the price of Prosecco if not more without being noticably different.

You seem to be wanting to have your cake and eat it too. If this is truly money that we already owe then it is money we would owe whether we stayed or left and it means calculations for past years have under-estimated how much the EU was costing us. If we'd stayed we'd be accruing more liabilities still becoming ever more expensive.
    Seriously why do you fuckers have to have your own billion

Is it a sovereignty thing?
    Nah its a linguistic historical thing like the term gaol and like gaol it is obsolete and not used any more. Modern finance has ensured the British billion is not used anymore. A British billion (long-scale billion) was a million million rather than a thousand million like the American (or short-scale) term. It evolved because the number €50,000,000,000 could be called 50 thousand million rather than 50 billion. Incidentally the "British billion" was actually the common definition across almost all of Europe at one time.
    A number of Brexiters have been pushing this myth in an attempt to preemptively lay the blame at Ireland's feet. Commenters with relevant experience in international trade law have categorically rejected this notion as bullshit as, absent a formal agreement eliminating tariffs, failure to enforce tariffs at the Irish border would almost certainly constitute a violation of WTO regs.
    So the best way of avoiding that would be to agree a formal agreement eliminating tariffs which can only be done once we move on to trade talks.
    I make it 5 years not 3. As I said though we'd still owe this money even if we'd remained and would be accruing even more liabilities.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

sig-worthy

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I don't drink Champagne, it's expensive branded drink that is at least twice the price of Prosecco if not more without being noticably different.

Who let the caveman out again? Hm? C'mon, you know the uncultured one shouldn't be allowed out of his pen unsupervised. He might widdle on the furniture.

Last edited by Timbuk2; 11-29-2017 at 12:26 PM.

It's not just a matter of logic, it's a matter of fact. Lilico says things that are factually wrong. He applies his logic to the wrong things because he's apparently ignorant of the facts. His motives for making these false claims--in this case the attempt to blame Ireland for the British govt's folly--are what discredit him as a person.

And of course Prosecco also is a protected product, like Champagne. I also don't know why you would rubbish Champagne for it for being 'too expensive' if you can buy a good bottle of it for €15.
    Congratulations America

I never said anything about their protected status. Wholesale I can get a decent Prosecco for £6+VAT whereas a decent Champagne costs at least £15+VAT, why go for the Champagne when the Prosecco is just as good?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I never said anything about their protected status. Wholesale I can get a decent Prosecco for £6+VAT whereas a decent Champagne costs at least £15+VAT, why go for the Champagne when the Prosecco is just as good?
    You probably also think that all whiskeys are alike.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Nah, there's a big difference between whiskeys. Its just my opinion obviously your mileage may vary, but I do know that nationally Prosecco is taking a much higher share of sparkling wines than it used to because I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Personally I'm not too keen on French wines in general, I think they're overrated and overpriced for what they are. Show me a similar priced Aussie red and French red and I'll go for the Aussie red everytime.

https://www.farminguk.com/News/Briti...rns_48014.html

Interesting report. Haven't seen any British meat in Sweden for a very long time but interesting thoughts on knock-on effects even for countries that don't directly trade meat with the UK.

Remarkable how we can get "just in time" deliveries of fresh meat from all over the globe (I know a lot of our meat when I used to work for a chain came from the far East like Singapore) but couldn't with a WTO EU.

Maybe we should just give more of our business to the Singaporeans, Kiwis and others eager to fill the void if the EU can't get it to us promptly.

Of all the arguments made by anyone that one is truly weak.

https://www.farminguk.com/News/Briti...rns_48014.html

Interesting report. Haven't seen any British meat in Sweden for a very long time but interesting thoughts on knock-on effects even for countries that don't directly trade meat with the UK.
    Hardly anything new. It is indicative of the lack of understanding for what Brexit means in the UK. It means that you are outside of the regulatory remit of the EU and thus need to guarantee upholding EU standards in a way that satisfies the EU. It also means we don’t do sectoral inclusion into the SM.
    Congratulations America

In the same way that Singaporean chicken or Chinese garlic has to. Yet you can still find that in the EU.

Interestingly I read a line the other day on a sack of garlic. "Only for sale to the EU", it was produced in China. That amused me as it made me think would that garlic be unable to be exported to the UK post-Brexit?

But thinking seriously about it I'm assuming that there must be some sort of arrangement for a Chinese farm to follow that ensures it complies with EU standards and hence that is known to be OK for sale to the EU and hence the line whereas other farms in China may not. Though I'm only guessing there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42178038

So despite all the preposterous claims that people wouldn't want to live in the UK after our referendum, or were leaving the country after the referendum, the latest 12 months figures the first to show a full year shows that net migration into the country was nearly a quarter of a million people. Well up on the government's long-term stated target of tens of thousands.

In fact that makes it higher than in all but one year between the financial crash and the lifting of controls on Bulgaria and Romania which caused a spike.

Also incidentally EU nationals despite making up just 7% of the global population now make up a higher proportion of our population than migrants from the rest of the world.

So in the real world the UK is not just a good nation to remain in but people are still net by large sums seeking to come here. Good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42178038

So despite all the preposterous claims that people wouldn't want to live in the UK after our referendum, or were leaving the country after the referendum, the latest 12 months figures the first to show a full year shows that net migration into the country was nearly a quarter of a million people. Well up on the government's long-term stated target of tens of thousands.

In fact that makes it higher than in all but one year between the financial crash and the lifting of controls on Bulgaria and Romania which caused a spike.

Also incidentally EU nationals despite making up just 7% of the global population now make up a higher proportion of our population than migrants from the rest of the world.

So in the real world the UK is not just a good nation to remain in but people are still net by large sums seeking to come here. Good.
    In other news; most New Yorkers are from the USA, despite the fact that Americans only make up 3.5% of the planet's population. This is madness!!!!

Also, please tell me; does the proposal you're cooking up for Northern Ireland you're throwing the DUP under the bus or the entire nation?
    Congratulations America

Native New Yorkers are Americans yes so if we were counting native New Yorkers or Brits in that statistic you'd have a point. Except we're not the statistic is specifically including Brits.

In 2000 the population breakdown was
    EU citizens (not UK): 1%
    Rest of World: 3%
    British: 96%

In 2017 its now
    EU citizens (not UK): 6%
    Rest of World: 4%
    British 90%

Rest of World has somewhat surprisingly barely moved from 3% to 4%, the dramatic shift has been EU from 1% to 6%. That's significant and hardly shows a nation unwelcoming to or unwanted by the rest of the EU's populace.

As for the DUP I'm not entirely bothered by it, it doesn't affect me. As I understand it the fudge is to talk about devolving certain things to Stormont which is an odd proposal given Stormont has no government at the moment and may not for some time to come

Native New Yorkers are Americans yes so if we were counting native New Yorkers or Brits in that statistic you'd have a point. Except we're not the statistic is specifically including Brits.

In 2000 the population breakdown was
    EU citizens (not UK): 1%
    Rest of World: 3%
    British: 96%

In 2017 its now
    EU citizens (not UK): 6%
    Rest of World: 4%
    British 90%

Rest of World has somewhat surprisingly barely moved from 3% to 4%, the dramatic shift has been EU from 1% to 6%. That's significant and hardly shows a nation unwelcoming to or unwanted by the rest of the EU's populace.

As for the DUP I'm not entirely bothered by it, it doesn't affect me. As I understand it the fudge is to talk about devolving certain things to Stormont which is an odd proposal given Stormont has no government at the moment and may not for some time to come
    So, taking back control was about giving up part of the Union? Why was the Little Englander tag ever considered a slur by you?
    Congratulations America